It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Red Box?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
What exactly does it mean when a member has the red "Warn" box under their sig/on their background? I figured it is bad
but what did it take to get it? Some have more than one....how many to be (gulp) banned? And why does clicking on the warn take me to another thread? Is that where the screw-up happened?

Thanks - Signals

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

The red boxes warns you of bad behavior.They cost you points and stay
on your profile for 72 hours.I don't know what would happen if you get
4 or more.I think it depends on what the mods' think of the offence.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
What exactly does it mean when a member has the red "Warn" box under their sig/on their background? I figured it is bad
but what did it take to get it? Some have more than one....how many to be (gulp) banned? And why does clicking on the warn take me to another thread? Is that where the screw-up happened?

Thanks - Signals

if you have not been able to figure that out, or, able to look it up on ATS...maybe you should consider not posting....."deny ignorance" is simply not a throw-away phrase. you need to read more and type less. i know that sounds crass and arrogant, but i have a house full of christmas relatives and i haven't had my glass(s) of wine yet. merry christmas

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think 5 "warns" within 72 hours is a perma-ban.

Hope that helps....

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Click on the warn sign, and it will take you to the post the member was warned for - a rather effective way of demonstrating what isn't acceptable

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Thanks - Signals

if you have not been able to figure that out, or, able to look it up on ATS...maybe you should consider not posting....."deny ignorance" is simply not a throw-away phrase. you need to read more and type less. i know that sounds crass and arrogant, but i have a house full of christmas relatives and i haven't had my glass(s) of wine yet. merry christmas

Sorry Jimmyx, I thought that's what ~Board Business~ was for....Asking questions
.....Did you get any wine yet?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Yea that works, except 70% of the time their post has a big "EXTREME T AND C VIOLATION" tag over it, so you can't see what they said, only the thread they said it in...

[edit on 12/24/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It means all of the above but in extreme cases the mods will write to Santa who in turn will avoid your house, now you don't want that to happen do you?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Yea that works, except 70% of the time their post has a big "EXTREME T AND C VIOLATION" tag over it, so you can't see what they said, only the thread they said it in.

I notice this too, in fact I have never been able to read the offending post because they are already removed. I understand that posts are removed for a reason, but linking the warning tag back to a post that cannot be used as a gauge for the criteria that crosses a line doesn't makes sense.

I don't worry to much about getting warned because I just don't write posts attacking other members, even though debates can sometimes get heated. As long as you remain civil while defending your position there is nothing to worry about.

I only replied here because I used to be more frustrated that I cannot view the offending post. Now I just ignore them, but it does alert me that particular person may have a tendency to go off topic and attack rather than participate if their debate is failing.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienChaser

The ONLY way I know of that you may be able to see what the offending poster wrote is to scroll down and see if another poster quoted it. BUT, most of the time staff tries to remove any quotes of the TAC violation (rightfully so). Really I wouldn't worry about it, it was removed for a reason and only derails discussion and wastes everyone's valuable time. Civility and decorum is something you can never go wrong eith.

Trust me....

~Justin

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Depending on how one looks at it... these warning labels could be interpreted as badges of honor... and on another note, I have seen one too many cases where they are unjustified, some mods... how to accurately and politely put it, so i don't get branded with a red box?... hypersensitive control freaks.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The Blind Eye

That can hardly be the case. The moderators have pointed out time and time again that they cannot and do not act without first discussing the issue with the other moderators. If you get a warning, it's because an entire group of moderators looked at your post and thought, "No sir, not on this forum."

Getting a warning for bad behavior is only a badge of honor if your intentional goal is to be a forum troll.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The Blind Eye

As an extension to the point you make in your "note" & based on the comments of an ex-member of ATS:

When an "instant" banning occurs without any warning whatseoever, it is subsequently impossible to try to discuss, reason or negotiate with the ATS staff.

That can be a source of great disappointment to the person involved with the problem.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Thanks - Signals

YES it does sound crass and arrogant, especially when you publically insult someone for asking a question, YET then use that throw-away phrase as though you are somehow far superior to the OP.

How can you become less ignorant if you don't ask questions?

Methinks you should stop drinking if one glass of wine makes you so obnoxious.

All the best.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
As has been answered by others (thank you to them also), the red-tag is a Warn Tag generated whenever a Staff Member utilises any of the more severe Warns.

They *dissolve* in 72 Hours.
Also as answered by others, get a row of 5 and its over rover.

Cheers.

new topics

top topics

join