It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA blew $5 million on Christmas party: whistleblower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

FAA blew $5 million on Christmas party: whistleblower

rawstory.com

The Federal Aviation Administration has been accused by a whistleblower of spending $5 million on a Christmas party this month for 3600 managers and passing it off as a training conference to discuss a new contract with air controllers.

ABC's Brian Ross reported on Tuesday that a tip received online had alerted the network to the "wasteful spending" on this "ridiculous junket" and claimed that the new contract -- which is already in effect -- could more cheaply have been explained by videoconfe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well hear is another good use of government money. I don't mind saying I am not opposed to funds being used for a party or celebration of sorts. But spending five million for a party just seems to be to much over the top. I was wondering where five million would go for a party. I suppose if they had to feed and give away free booze to three thousand six hundred people it would start to add up. On the bright side at least hear the government is not giving bonus checks to rich bankers.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

I don't mind saying I am not opposed to funds being used for a party or celebration of sorts.

But now, when so many people don't even have a job, where they could enjoy an office party?

I bet I can gather 3600 qualified, unemployed people, in one day, to fill these vacant positions. Once they are all fired.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Spending money on lavish parties isn't the issue. Spending taxpayer dollars on a lavish party when we are in the midst of a financial crisis and more than 10% of our population -- roughly 30 million people -- are out of work is ridiculous.

I don't understand why more people don't realize that when times are good, work is plentiful, and the stock market is steady -- nobody begrudges this type of ridiculousness. But at a time like this? They slap us in the face with one hand while the other is looking for a handout.

Plus, they knew it was wrong or they would not have tried to hide it.

That's nothing -- ever consider the pricetag for the White House Christmas parties?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

WTFover
I am very aware there are over 3600 unemployed people out there. I am also aware that every time some one has an office party, some portion of the cost is covered by the company. I just do not any office party should cost 5 million. As far as curving government spending, every time a government construction project goes up, and small percentage of the cost is in art. The air port in Denver cost about 5 billion. I am not opposed to art, but what was spent in art on that project would have gotten employment for those 3600 manages you just fired.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Almost $1,500 per attendee. The same goofballs that can't get the planes in and out of airports on time. Reagan fired all of them, why can't we?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I must have mistated my position. I meant to agree with you and just add my disgust at the timing of this ignorance. There are a lot of people hurting, right now, and everyone who was partying it up at the taxpayers' expense should have taken this into consideration. Those responsible for arranging the party must be held accountable.

$1389 per attendee. That would have paid half of my health insurance premiums, for the year! There's some real reform!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

WTFover
I do have to agree with you on this point. The people who granted that kind of spending on a party should be held accountable. You reference to you health care premiums are a good example also. I will use that comparison in conversation if I have the opportunity.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
how about we fire everyone up there, and use their wages that we would have paid to throw a party for all americans ???

then we can all share a little responsibility in making policies. if you dont show up to every town hall meeting then you are given the boot to the pacific or atlantic, whichever is closer. (of course medical reasons count as an excused abscence, like .... youre dead or something....
)

hope you can swim

also... all decisions needed from america on foreign policy will be made on Wednesday afternoons after tea, via live webcast connected at each state capital

unless we are attacked, then everyone shows up with their guns, AND military is on high alert..... WUT WUT????

[edit on 12/23/2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

"SEEMS" to be over the top????????????????????????????????????????

Are you crazy? Spending $5 million dollars on a Xmas party for 360 people is OBSCENE! I mean my god! The US government is out of control.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Very interesting! I've subscribed to your thread on the AIG bonuses, as well. I see you posted them about an hour apart. I will be watching closely to see the flag and star counts, each receives. I believe they are equal in fault, but am curious to see which elicits more ire from ATS users. I have my suspicion, but will withhold it for now.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by WTFover]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

Are you crazy? Spending $5 million dollars on a Xmas party for 360 people is OBSCENE! I mean my god! The US government is out of control.

Zosynspiracy
yes spending five million for a party for 360 would be very obscene. I would like to see what happens at that party.
This party in question was five million for 3600. Like I said before I do think it is to much when dealing with tax dollars.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I'm sorry, but you got a star for this????

The same goofballs that can't get the planes in and out of airports on time. Reagan fired all of them, why can't we?

Are you that young that you don't recall what HAPPENED in 1981?????

Do you truly not understand that this story involves the MANAGEMENT of the bureaucracy that IS the FAA, NOT the people who slave day in and night out to keep your butt safe when flying???

Do you have ANY IDEA of how government sloth and bureaucracy work?????

In case anyone is too young to remember 1981...it was HELL for travelers, and that was back when air travel was NO WHERE NEAR as busy as today!!!

If it only took one person to understand how difficult it is to train a controller, then maybe this sort of ignorance wouldn't be promoted so often.

[edit on 23 December 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

(quote)I would like to see what happens at that party.

Wonder how many prostitutes and or hookers?

5million and 3600 attendees? Did they rent an Island or the SuperDome?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
1388.00 BUCKS PER PERSON! That's some party. Lets assume that they got 7200 two hundred dollar an hour prostitutes, everyone's kids got a PS3 and two games, and that is still not 4 million! That's a lot of weed and bourbon!

[edit on 23-12-2009 by traderjack]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What are you doing this Christmas? No much? Seems the FAA is livin' it up on your dime.

Gotta love the Federal Government.

new topics

top topics

join