It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Pregnant Troops Be Disciplined

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
There was a poll on CNN and I wanted to ask the question here.

The commander who instituted a policy cracking down on pregnancy among soldiers defended it Tuesday as necessary to maintain troop strength, but said no soldier would ever be court-martialed for violating the directive.

The policy -- which would punish soldiers who get pregnant or impregnate another soldier -- was included in Maj. Gen. Anthony Cucolo's orders to troops regarding conduct while deployed under his command in northern Iraq.

Source

I don't feel they should be punished. It's life, it happens. Given where they're at and so far away from family and loved ones, who can blame them for wanting some "attention".

I'm not condoning cheating either. Just saying, under these circumstances, I understand, I think.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

No ,they should not be punished ,especially, if the only option the soldier has is to place a bably into the arms of the foster care system. This practice is barbaric. The law makers responsible are inhuman. This case is good fodder for all thoae who oppose a draft. With all the psychological tests available it would not be hard to weed out women who are likely to become mothers. We don't do this because of delusional powerful people who believe eveyone but themselves and their loved ones should become soldiers.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I haven't looked too much into this topic, but I could understand the reasoning behind the order. These soldiers are in a warzone. The last thing that needs to be allowed is pregnancy. Not only are they in danger, but now there is a unborn child in danger. What if they are exposed to a chemical attack that causes problems for the unborn child-would the military be liable for that. Just seems like a huge liability on the governments part and irresponsibility on the soldiers part. my .02 cents

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This can be a serious problem in the military when it comes to combat units and highly sought tech jobs. Back when I was in there were woman going into avionics and aircraft maintenance fields which planned on getting pregnant before deployment to get out of it but still got all the free training.

And the real issue here is not just getting pregnant but getting pregnant from a fellow solider. There are very strict guidelines when it comes to fraternization and they are there for a very good reason.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by badmoviefan

you know there are probably strict rules in the UCMJ that ban this. I would almost have to dust the book off and read it to find out

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

The General Has the right to tell Soldiers not to become prego or get someone Prego, Now There is a standing order not allowing you to have sex while foreward deployed but it isnt enforced.

I see the Generals veiw on this, there our women who get prego just because they dont want to deploy. Then you should have never joined the Army you know your going somewhere.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It's pretty irresponsible to get knocked up or knock somebody up in a war zone.

Wasting resources and incapacitating a soldier.

If people cant keep it in their pants long enough to finish high school though why should I expect them to to keep themselves or their fellow servicemen alive?

Nobody thinks before they act. It's very disappointing.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Pay attention he and his troops are forward deployed, he doesnt want those soldiers that are forward deployed to become prego. That is what he is saying. They wont go to jail, but they should be punished you getting prego in a combat zone and having to leave the combat area adds more work to the team. I can gaurntee that the order will be lifted once they return home.

General Odenro did the same thing in 2003-2004 because alot of Female soldiers got prego so they diddnt have to stay there.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Is not reason why a pregnant women should be submitted to court martial and jail for been pregnant.

With that say I will explain, the military as usual is look for a fast escape because the problems they are having with many women using pregnancy to get off hazardous duty.

Now why going after the result . . . (pregnancy) rather than the cause, sex.

Because sex is going to happen regardless, so why not make it safe, any women that will be deploy to the war zone under hazardous conditions will have to be into mandatory birth control.

In todays worlds modern wonders, birth control is one of the easies way to prevent pregnancy and comes in many ways that doesn't even need to be monitored continuously.

I guess this will be against human rights and religious rights as usual.

So is easier just to put the burden of guilt on the offending party, a pregnant soldiers

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Now wait, This guy says he's gonna punish soldiers who get pergnant or who impregnate others and then follows up with "no soldier would ever be prosecuted"?

So what he's saying is pregnancy is a bad thing for the military but, there's nothing he can do about it. Might as well just tell the soldiers to go on banging each other.

What a tool.

edit for spellin

[edit on 23-12-2009 by FortAnthem]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If I was Maximum Leader, I'd follow General Hookers actions and provide women for them. Women would not deploy.

Problem solved.

[edit on 23/12/09 by PSUSA]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Thats a tough one.
I think people should never be punished for being human but in the Army's case then yes.
They are there to fight...not make babies.
They are weakening the whole force if everyone did it.
You fight as a team.

If they want to make babies then go home.
I understand accidents happen but its the Army...discipline discipline discipline.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
It's pretty irresponsible to get knocked up or knock somebody up in a war zone.

Wasting resources and incapacitating a soldier.

If people cant keep it in their pants long enough to finish high school though why should I expect them to to keep themselves or their fellow servicemen alive?

Nobody thinks before they act. It's very disappointing.

I agree 100%. These people are supposed to be ADULTS and ACT like Adults. Not high school kids. Letting yourself get pregnant or getting someone pregnant in a theater of war is very irresponsible.

Therefore YES, if they break this rule the General has set, they Should be punished both parties involved.

You cannot say simply "Life Happens" and leave it at that. It is the same as braking a civilian law. The rules are there for a reason. Break them and face the punishment.

marg6043, I disagree. Mandatory birth control will do nothing to stop people from hooking up and doing it. This behavior is also very irresponsible and should be punishable. War is NOT a time or place to be thinking about having sex with another solider.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I think the media has blown this story way out of proportion...

22,000 people under his command, including 1,682 women

yet to date there have only been seven such cases two women have been sent home and three men had reprimands placed in their files...(Dont know about the other two)....hardly what I'd call a noteworthy problem ...

Was the General out of line making his new rule? Maybe his warning was a bit over the top. but its the press who made it a problem....

[edit on 23-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Okay abortion and forced birth control are how some would control this problem. A better idea would be just not to let personality types who would become pregnant in a war zone into the military in the first place.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Condoms are available but you are suppose to use them to cover the muzzle of your weapon when you are in bad weather or water operations. Also, as far as I know this is still true, woman can't take birth control while serving on ship or otherwise abroad.

Hell, technically your not even suppose to masturbate! But that's what stall number five is for, right? Inside joke.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

In todays world of medical wonders, daily pills and condoms are not longer the most reliable way to prevent pregnancy.

Now women doesn't even have to bother with the choices given of a daily pill, is injections that will last months to prevent pregnancy.

All of these are provided free for military active duty.

So is not excuse.

BTW the military have no problems giving away antidepressants for soldiers.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

In todays world of medical wonders, daily pills and condoms are not longer the most reliable way to prevent pregnancy.
[edit on 23-12-2009 by marg6043]

I do see your point completely but thought I would add this.
The most reliable form of birth control is abstinance.

I also agree if they can give anti-depressants then why not birth control as well?Or maybe a libido suppressant if there is such a thing.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Yes they do have certain drugs for people with over sex problems and for those that are sex offenders.

Abstinence is what we preach to our teens trying to made them wait to have sex, but we are dealing with adults here, so is funny that the military will try to scare them with court martial and jail timejust like we can tell our children that we will ground them and they will never be able to go to parties and or have boyfriend or girlfriends until they are 18.

Sex will always find a way, pregnancy prevention is the easiest way.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I find it odd that they say they will court marshal a woman for getting pregnant and then say they will never actually do it. More disregard for the rule of law. It is like the world's first anarchist army.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join