It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I physically removed my TV from my house

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

Anyone else out there invited to holiday dinners and parties in the past, only to find most attendees sit and watch the tv the entire time? (Not that there aren't other ways to demonstrate boredom, but none so "excuseable".) Been happening since my childhood.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Im really enjoying that people have tv's that they dont watch, but use them for playing games. Likes games are exempt from any brain washing tactics.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperFoxBat
I cut my cable off because the price was not worth it.

I don't do TV but I'm paying for it because I had to subscribe to basic cable just to get internet access.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
not only did i give up the idiot box but we never listen to radio when driving either! there is just a massive assault on your senses especially in the form of advertising and non stop dribble....you dont need it! it is distracting you from the bigger picture...it is tantamount to sawdut for your brain. GIGO garbage in garbage out.

one study that i took to heart and helped convinced me to give away the t.v....was a comparison between 2 groups of children. one group watched all your simpsons and power ranges and animated feature films consistently for a couple of hrs a day, the other did not they read and played outside, and took part in activities....not surprisingly the tv group were found to have a very short attention span and found it very difficult to engage in lengthy projects requiring focus...

i noticed with my 6 yr old son, we buy him some pretty sophisticated lego, he can stand at the table for 3 or 4 hrs reading instructions and building these really cool lego machines! his older cousin by comparison who is 10, failed miserably with a set we brought for his b'day....he comes from a very materialistic family and has his own mobile phone, a ds nintendo AND a wii and a very large collection of dvds.

i walk down the street at night and see the bigscreens shining away in more and more houses...they are like altars of worship. while your sitting there unwinding from your hard days work just vegetating in front of the tube...it is subliminaly programming your view of certain issues and events, it is very subtley conditioning your perception of reality...and in alot of cases is just out right lies and deception. the propaganda of iraq and WMD's is the one of the greatest examples.

the difference with the pc is choice....i choose what to read and the direction of my online experience....and mostly it is research into subjects that will never be seen on mainstream programming.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
Im really enjoying that people have tv's that they dont watch, but use them for playing games. Likes games are exempt from any brain washing tactics.

Feel free to share with us these brain washing tactics used because after 20+ years of gaming I have never had a political stance altered or manufactured.
I just found your comment the same type of patronisingly unproven nonsense used by those that point at music, videos and games when some kid goes mental with a gun in a school.
No connection, otherwise surely out of the millions of gamers we would have a little more than columbine to look back on.
Maybe you are easily influenced (buy T-Mobile today!!!), don't be fooled into thinking we all are.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by keepithush]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
tv brainwashes you if you let it...

people were still brainwashed pre-tv... heck pre modern-day civilization.

your effort are futile and foolish and only impress other easily impressed folks on ats. ever heard of the emergency broadcast system? what if there is a tornado or earthquake warning, or after a blizzard... or watching local news weather... [ i admit it i have a radio in my house, but its never turned on, i dont even know if it still works. so in case of an emergency if youre like me , youre SOL i guess... oh wait, you still got internet .hmmm

you got rid of your tv, yet you kept your computer.... not impressed.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I severely limit my own TV watching. maybe an hour a week. I am happier. Now if ONLY I could get myself to stop visiting ATS, facebook and youtube as often as I do

-rrr

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I've heard stories of ex-government snipers who have shot thier TV.

No details to story volunteered.

I too have run across ex-government snipers in bad shape.

Boil, bubble, toil and trouble.

It's really just a matter of time folks.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Well done, everyone who has gotten themselves off the tv. I did it almost seven years ago and yes, it's improved my productivity and my sanity and also reduced my appetite dramatically. I do however admit to having discovered Hulu this year and am taking a peak at a few shows...very selective about what I watch though. Oddly there are very few food commercials on the shows I stream at Hulu and that's great.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Like so many others on this thread, I have mixed feelings about it. When I moved into the industrial loft building I'm in now, I decided not to have satellite or cable TV. That was 4 years ago. So, I haven't watched commercial television in the last four years unless I'm visiting a relative and they have it on or I'm at a bar in town watching pro sports.

What I don't miss are the adverts/commercials and the psy ops on the cable news channels. Paying for the privilege of watching commercials is a rip off. I don't like any form of advertising, especially obnoxious TV commercials.

What I do miss is the best of college and pro sports (I don't overdo those but I like to see the really big championship games live) also I sometimes miss live coverage of a big, breaking news story. Like, in my previous residence when I had DirecTV, I was home the day of the 9/11 attack (or black ops inside job as the case looks like to me) and watched the whole entire thing unfold live on TV. That's a very memorable experience even if it was full of disinfo.

If I break down and get cable, it will probably be for the Olympics coming up. Also, I have to have a DVR. That's essential.

I basically stopped watching TV to save money. My time on the Internet increased a lot since giving up TV. I'm a C2C Streamlink subscriber and enjoy those audio programs commercial free. I'm also a subscriber of Jeff Rense radio and listen to his shows commercial free. I get all my news from the Internet (Reuters, AP, BBC, Drudge, MSNBC, Dallas Morning News, etc on a daily basis as well as reading and participating in ATS on a daily basis. I have a good pop up blocker and I also enjoy 3 Netflix movies a week and a wide range of stuff on YouTube.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling. I gave up TV and have not missed it much. I may never go back to cable TV. Life is definitely more peaceful and thought provoking without it. TV can not only be brainwashing but it can be a depressant and irritant I can do without. Too much obnoxious trash on TV otherwise I might get it for the big games and the biggest live breaking news stories.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by switching yard]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
i havent watched tv in a year and a half. one of the best things ive ever done. Now, if i happen to be at afriends house and they turn on the tv, it just seems highly absurd, on so many levels.

Good job on throwing out the idiot box.

Love and Peace

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
By the way, did anyone notice last week that they introduced a bill in Congress to limit the excessive volume level of commercials in tv? I think it would be great if they passed it...I understand rich folks with more sophisticated sounds systems have already solved the volume leveling problem.

www.cbsnews.com...

edited for grammar

[edit on 23-12-2009 by ChrisCrikey]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Big move but there is so much more to it..."To be or not to be". It's all on choices.. Either way, the internet, newspapers, even human relations can be just as bad. What is it you want, how do you go about getting it? I've tried that approach. Get rid of the source of your dilema. It doesnt work..The source is within. Addictions are a bitch. TV is an addiction. Self realization is key.. It's not what but why? How? I hope it works for you because it might just do the trick.. Peace be with you and merry xmas.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepithush

Originally posted by Bluebelle

Feel free to share with us these brain washing tactics used because after 20+ years of gaming I have never had a political stance altered or manufactured.
I just found your comment the same type of patronisingly unproven nonsense used by those that point at music, videos and games when some kid goes mental with a gun in a school.
No connection, otherwise surely out of the millions of gamers we would have a little more than columbine to look back on.
Maybe you are easily influenced (buy T-Mobile today!!!), don't be fooled into thinking we all are.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by keepithush]

Erm, you've taken my post entirely out of context. I dont actually believe there are any brain washing tactics used, in tv and/or games. But if people are paranoid enough to throw out their tv's then it would seem a little odd not to take the same attitude towards games. Especially seeing as it has been in the media before. There's plenty on google about brainwashing via video games if you want to take a look.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Actually.. Anything good can be used for evil. I love having a car, would not want to give it up. But look how much bad has come from this invention. This is just one, there are so many. It all depends on how you decide to use what you have. The choice is always yours.
My son played those little games when he was young and he turned out just fine. He is in college now and has a 4.0 ...on everything. He likes Physics, Geology, Archeology, Biology, studying different religions, learning French, Spanish and Chinese languages, astronomy, and loves all math, and skate boarding still, is a computer programmer and web designer.
When he was little besides tv and games, there was church, bible school, skating, skate boarding, boy scouting, He had a room full of books.. still does. Was already reading before he went to school. Always had a house full of friends and we had a house full of relatives on the holidays.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
TV is a tool to damage people minds. The future of tv is only one : extinction.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It's the way you use tools such as TV, not the TV itself, that leads to altered mindsets. For example, is a hammer a bad tool all of the time just because someone once missed and hit their finger with it. Of course it isn't!

The same argument can be used against the idea that video games cause violent & brainwashed people.

ATS can be seen as a brainwashing tool if misused as well. So, it's the individuals responsibility to use critical thinking as much as possible.

The most effective form of brainwashing is probably by someone's own religious peers because they are often trusted. This can then open the mind to justifying extreme acts. For someone to be brainwashed in the same manner by a TV programme implies low intelligence on the behalf of the adult viewer, and parents can restrict what their kids view anyway.

From some of the v. strange sense of humour on some of the US shows that make it across the pond, I can imagine many yanks sat down staring and laughing like Homer Simpson at every single attempted & unfunny joke. Just switch the damn channel and watch something productive, or switch the damn TV off if every channel is junk.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CTBAPRBR
TV is a tool to damage people minds. The future of tv is only one : extinction.

www.youtube.com...

Actually we are likely to see more digitally integrated TV's on mobiles and adverts streamed directly to handsets that match a user's browsing history, and adverts streamed all over shops and anywhere that people go as the next attempt at trying to sell the public some form of product.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by john124]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Heh - I was offered a free television this summer and I refused it. Reason: there isn't one thing a television can do that my trusted PC can't. Shows, sites, multitasking, research, chatting, gaming - computers rule.

My family thinks I'm weird and antisocial. They're half right.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join