It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I physically removed my TV from my house

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
There's one way to think of TV in a Positive Light..

Without TV, Our Planet would be Overpopulated even Sooner than it would otherwise be....

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Just got a 60 inch hd flat screen myself, are you kidding me?..No way I am giving up my television, too much going on in the world, and not to mention American Idol fixing to come back .(lol)

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I have determined it to be a brainwashing tool, and don't want it in my house anymore. I just couldn't handle it anymore.

I feel much better, even after just 24 hours.

Has anyone else taken the step, to simply remove their TV?

How did your family react?

How do you feel, and are you accomplishing more in your life?

I think the internet will do you more harm that the TV.

Just thought i would throw that in there

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436
[Throw your computer too!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I gave up on trusting what the media told us beginning around 9/11. I would go on about two years before I cancelled by cable tv and maintained only DSL for internet use.

After moving across the states to an old home in 2003, I found I no longer needed TV and that I didnt miss all the commercial crap they were always selling. I also got rid of a huge bill because of course I had 165 channels but could never find anything I really wanted to watch. I had all the premium movie channels and got tired of seeing certain movies over and over on any given month of the year. I resorted to the History channel, Discovery and took in a lot of National Geographic and those other mundane options.

I now can honestly state that giving up TV and cable was the best thing I or anyone could do to improve your life and the way you see things around you. Once you stop the brain washing you begin to see how TV is used in all its venues to condition, program and deceive the masses.

I still use the internet for staying abreast of the news, but when the coverage is weak, I google until I find what resolves personal questions about news events even if I have to go to other nations and read their coverage. This ability is what helped make the main street media obsolete. The other main reason the media giants are in the red is because they no longer report on anything truthfully or morally. They only repeat the government agenda and spew lies and deceit on a 24/7 basis. The main street media no longer represent the people of this nation and no longer represents what freedom of speech stood for.

On a certain level I am almost certain that removing the TV from being part of my daily habit has allowed me and many like me to see things in a way never seen before. While some of those things being observed are frightening from time to time, I can say that I am glad that I no longer live in a hypnotic state, eating pizza and watching Jerry Springer while I waste my life away sitting in front of TV.

Sooner or later real science will one day probably prove that watching TV all your life was dangerous for humans especially in the excessive amounts humans spent watching a square box hooked to the wall and some converter box. I say good riddence. Now we need to focus on demanding an end to corruption and profits over people.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I too have removed my tele, the second it went digital, out it went. Months ago, am so much better off. I don't play vidoe games and if I want to watch a dvd I do it on my computer. 17" monitor works great.

No family so no worries, wouldn't matter anyway, read books to the kids/nieces to educate them correctly. Nothing but trash on TV and video games are for idiots in my opinion. Not dissing anyone here on purpose just my take.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by daddio]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Gah.. no. There are a ton of awesome shows on TV that are educational and very interesting. Tivo + HD cable = Awesome Goodness. Fast forward through all annoying commercials, program and find stuff you are interested in, avoid stupid crap.

Why would you completely ditch your TV? It's an amazing medium to view place you will never have the chance to visit. And burying your head in the sand over world events is never a good thing.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I have a T.V. in my house which is watched on family movie nights and doubles as my computer screen. Other than that it is not used. We do not have cable nor an antenna with which to recieve any digital signal so, broadcast T.v. IS OUT OF THE QUESTION!!!!
I have not seen television 'PROGRAMMING' in over five years and I can't say I miss it. I am not bombarded with negativity non stop from the local news/media nor am I or my kids and wife exposed to the 'CRAP' that television 'prgramming' has to offer.

Don't get me wrong, we are not friggin' Mormon or anything but I just have become VERY selective about what enters my family's brains/consciousness and it is one of the best choices I have made.

Good for you for doing the same.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I gave up TV for two years and a year later gave up the phones and internet for
for a short while. I now have all three back in my house since June. I read, played the radio, and did yard work, walked almost everyday..played my son's old NES and SNES games, like Zelda, Metroid, Blaster Master, etc.. ate myself to death when I was bored with all of that. Then trying to entertain my grandchildren was even harder. They would get bored with the puzzles and coloring books. They have about 100 books I picked up at yard sales and even after awhile that was tiring too. Also the fussing with each other over little things got worse.
Soo.. got it all back. The kids are better now. When they get tired of all the other things they do, they can watch Nick jr. In the evening watch PBS. I don't watch it as much as before, but like having it back. Defintely like having my internet back...not the phone so much.
I still do all the things I did after I gave up all that stuff, but I am afraid I am on the internet way too much now.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Lord and Savior

Don't get me wrong, we are not friggin' Mormon or anything but I just have become VERY selective about what enters my family's brains/consciousness and it is one of the best choices I have made.

so you select what thay will need to know? but you did watch alot of T.V befoure right? i would let them decide, not that you have, to you do what ever you think its better for them.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Gloster]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I think its a great idea - especially if you don't miss it.

My wife and I did not have a TV in our house when our children were small. We eventually had a small TV but never hooked up to cable, instead just used it to play video tapes of movies and shows that we chose to watch. Our kids developed a great love of reading and around Christmas they never had a list of commercial toys they asked for. We have TV now that our kids are almost grown as I like to watch sports but otherwise this was the best decision we ever made. I think its key to keep young children away from watching commercial television,.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I don't know is mythbusters brainwashing?

LOL at the fact the second comment has more stars than the first,hope it lasts

But if not just avoid the x factor/chat show tripe!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I have determined it to be a brainwashing tool, and don't want it in my house anymore. I just couldn't handle it anymore.

I feel much better, even after just 24 hours.

Has anyone else taken the step, to simply remove their TV?

How did your family react?

How do you feel, and are you accomplishing more in your life?

welcome to the club! I've been without one for about 2 years now..It started out that I moved in with two friends, and we did have a tv, but was to lazy to order any channels..well, mostly because all of them sucks(Im from Norway, but Im pretty sure its the same all over), and because we smoked to much cannabis to actually get around doing it. Anyway, we had internet so what do we really need channels for anyway? Its mostly reality shows anyway..even MTV who once in the 90s played kick ass music vids shows just as much reality shows as it does music vids..

anway, months became years and now Im really glad I dont have one..it's like a big tumor has been removed from my brain.

Want to know the most scary thing about the tv? It makes you interested in useless sh*t that you in the first place don't care for at all. For example: Once at my friends house, we we're making food, and his tv was on. It was this reality show from an airport. Sounds boring? Well, I actually caught myself thinking to myself in the commercial break "oh, I need to see what happends next"(It was some random dude who got suspected of drug trafficking or something). Anyway, here's a mindless, dumb reality show about an AIRPORT(??????), and I want more of it...eeeeeeeak, turn that # of, and go and read a book or something.

Well, I have to say that if I could have chosen my own tv-programs, then I would invest in it. But, until that day Im fine without one. Oh, and one more thing. Not having a tv leads to doing other, more important stuff..like reading, exercing, doing stuff you should have been doing while you watched some random trash on tv, research life(I did), more time to yourself, and self reflection. There's thousand/million(s) different things you could do, that would benefit many many many many times over in your own life if you shut the tv of. At least, minimize your time watching it...dont go 5-6 hours a day just because your bored, and there is nothing better to do..

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I still have a tv but only watch dvds I have ran through dvd fab to take all the crap off them. No net work tv not even the news.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I got rid of my T.V. about this time last year. I was so sick of it, and by the time I actually made the move, I had realized I hadn't even bothered to really sit down and watch anything in months.

Even if you don't like the song, please take the time to read the statistics shown in the video, and tell me who else is to blame besides the MSM?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
In general I wouldn't have a TV (well maybe a TV/monitor in one for games consoles) if I lived alone for the simple reason I get my entertainment on the PC and the fact I don't feel £130 for a TV license is a fair deal with the absolute mind numbing boring rubbish and repeats that they spew out as so called entertainment.
I haven't watched TV in years even when I am in the same room as one I find it is almost always adverts, some snob showing off their house or some attention whore celebrity tripe.

However if you have children or a partner (or both) then I think your move was a little selfish as they will want entertainment just as much as you want entertaining with the likes of ATS.

I just feel if it was for any reason other than you live alone and find TV mind numbing that it was an over reaction and you should be able to take TV with a pinch of salt, surely you take the internet (especially this site) with a pinch of salt, or do you intend to rip out your internet cable too?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I stopped the television thing back near the end of 2004 for the same exact reason .. it's a tool to indoctrinate and control the consumption monkeys. It's an idiot box.

link   
I cut my cable off because the price was not worth it. I only liked a small number of channels so this did not justify the total cost. I now just receive over the air channels free. I watch local news and Saturday Night Live sometimes. Not much tv watching when the internet is around.

link   

You aren't missing out on anything.
Ha I gave my $1000 HD LCD to my parents over a year ago. Just wasn't worth the time.

I have no regret.

EDitted : Overrr a year ago, maybe 2 now. Who's counting lol

[edit on 23/12/2009 by nightrun]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

Yes there is much going in the world but I do not depend on the tv for my news there is no free press here in the usa.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join