It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I physically removed my TV from my house

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

My computer is my tv. The tv is not your enemy, you can use it as a tool to be informed, it just depends on what you watch. Also it can be used for fun like this christmas my family will gather round and everyone will humiliate themselves on the wii console, or maybe we'll break out rockband when we're all pretty drunk.

Look the tv is not your enemy, just take what you see with a pinch of salt and remember that the tv has a raelly good use sometimes, it can actualy bring the family together. I just finished watching the grumpy guide to christmas and i feel rather refreshed

Still the consoles are the big thing for me. It's great fun each year, we have a little competition, get drunk, have a great time and it avoids all of the christmas arguments.

Merry christmas everyone!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
You know you can still watch TV on the internet right? Don't expect me to throw away this new 22 inch widescreeen monitor any time soon

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
A TV can potentially be a nuisance sometimes, as it can lead to distraction, yet with a little bit dedication and moderation such things can be tolerated.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Good man. I wish most people would follow this idea and just throw their television away.

Also, just a thought: I wonder if someone stops watching Fox News, they'll be a normal person again.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
You should also remove your Computer too .. because if you think the TV is a brainwash tool .. oh boy ... then the internet is the mother of all Brainwash tools..

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Polynomial C]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I think you made the right choice. I have no television, My microwave broke down a year or so ago, and I decided not to replace it. When I need to warm a meal, I use the oven. The only item of value I own is this computer that I am typing on. I bought a 96 Norco bicycle from the local thrift shop for ten dollars, and I haven't bought a new item of clothing in years. Very little materialistic possessions I own and yet I am perfectly happy. In fact I believe I am even happier now than I once was.

I find that I have less distractions now, and that I am outside more enjoying nature, and what this beautiful planet has to offer. As opposed to sitting inside from morning until night situated in front of the television, or the X Box 360.

I firmly believe that the more one possesses, the more enslaved the individual becomes.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Matrix777]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

edit to remove a smash your tv video that was an ad for a tv brand...

anyway smash your tv too, you'll feel better
guarantee

[edit on 23-12-2009 by ::.mika.::]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I banned myself from TV many years ago (4 methinks) and I feel so much better. I was well aware of its brainwashing before that, but still felt in control. I wasnt. Only cure is to stop completely. All the content you really want to consume (sport, documentaries, South Park) are available online. If you must watch TV, the worst offenders are the news, followed by pretty much any sitcom, drama, CSI etc. try it for a month - then come back to these forums with a clearer head.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
but with no TV you will not be able to play xbox. have you thought this trough?

anyway smartass. if you think that the computer is any less of a brain washing tool then you sir are a moron. took out the tv now toss out the computer. otherwise your just half assing it.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You HAVE a choice of turning on the TV or not, and IF you do YOU also HAVE the choice of say waiting on National Gepgraphic channel or the likes for your enjoyment and well being.
Then IF there is something you think you need to watch you HAVE the choice of switching to a commercial channel.

If you throw out the TV to stay "sane" why don't you go all th eway and get rid of ypour internet connection as well

I think the answer is selfcontrol , no one is forced to turn on the TV

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
One of the school teachers did the same, fifteen years ago. A interesting guy.

I neither see the TV. Only at lunch and dinner, around one hour at all the day. But it's not because I want. Everything you want to learn, to see, to read is on Internet. Yes, it is manipulated too, but not everything.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Spinotoror]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Just to add, we can always seek an advice from an Amish citizen as to how one could potentially neutralize all the brainwashing matters of our society, in conjunction with mother of all brainwashing; the electricity as it may discharge a static demon from another dimension like Zeta Riculi.

At least but not last, it is ye to fear the infamous brainwashing cotton wool button.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Now pack up your pc and put it where the television went.

That will be real impressive.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Huggiesunrise
Now pack up your pc and put it where the television went.

That will be real impressive.

Why do you respond so defensively? Perhaps your attitude and reaction is an indication that you are so dependent upon your beloved television programming, that you choose to take offense to the fact that not everyone needs cable TV just to get through life?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Television for me was never a great big part of my life. I occasionally watched the odd video that someone brought round - yes I am old enough to remember them.
I did, at one time, own a DVD player, but all of that went the way of the dodo the last time I moved. The television I owned was rather large, and as I seriously dislike moving (almost as much as I dislike the rubbish on television), I decided I could leave it at the old house, or give it away. So, I made an open offer to my friends that whomever collected it first, could have it.
Surprisingly, there weren't many takers. The TV was a surround sound one and was all singing and dancing, which surprised me that no one was so keen to take up the offer of a free tv.
Eventually someone came and took it away, and was very grateful for it.
I haven't missed it.
In fact, I was thinking the other day just how easy it is to plan a LIVING room when you don't have to hang a tv on the wall, or arrange a place for it in the corner, etc. I am fortunate enough to have a good sized living room, and the most awkward item to fit into the room is the piano. Although, it is a lot more useful than a television, and a better sight to behold. It also reduces stress a lot too... when I'm annoyed, I just tinkle something soothing on the ivories, and everything is right again.

I rarely watch films, and when I do, the computer has a top notch sound system connected in (more for music listening than film watching). Any television shows that are even remotely worth watching can be seen through the internet. So why bother with the expense of a tv...? It's not rocket science.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I have determined it to be a brainwashing tool, and don't want it in my house anymore. I just couldn't handle it anymore.

I feel much better, even after just 24 hours.

Has anyone else taken the step, to simply remove their TV?

How did your family react?

How do you feel, and are you accomplishing more in your life?

I have thought about this so often. Trouble is that I like to keep up with current events so I like to watch the news and Current Affairs shows.

After that I like to sit down and watch a movie to relax. Every now and then I'll connect the Video Camera up and look at the Crap that I've recorded (For the Umpteenth Time)..

Now, when I go away Camping where I don't have a TV, I feel so much better for it. It seems my mind is more relaxed and because the TV isn't there, There are no distractions. So it makes me think that the TV might drain me of energy..

So, I was thinking of a little experiment with some people form here, on ATS. What if a group of us unplugged our TV's for a week and then reported what we felt and what we did during that week? It'd be a good experiment and it might surprise some of us.

How much time is wasted in front of the Ubiquitous Telly?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
but with no TV you will not be able to play xbox. have you thought this trough?

anyway smartass. if you think that the computer is any less of a brain washing tool then you sir are a moron. took out the tv now toss out the computer. otherwise your just half assing it.

Most modern PC's come with a graphics card/monitor that has multiple connectors. One of these should allow you to connect in your X-Box. Although, I am baffled why it is that people spend so much money on consoles when 99% of the games on consoles can be bought for PCs too....

It makes no sense to me to have a computer that can work out pi to a million places in 0.01 seconds, and then go out and buy an x-box to play noughts and crosses. Mental.

link   
Only watch films on mine, no cable or sat. Hundreds of channels of rubbish and repeats and of course adverts...

If I want to learn something I get books on the subject, I can think about things as I learn rather than the instant hit of a TV program...

Good on you OP for getting rid of it, took me a while to walk away from the one eyed monster in the corner of the room

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Bunker or Bust]

link   
My husband would divorce me if I were to remove the tv! He loves football. But we have taken steps to cut out alot of stupid shows, and we've started turning it off for hours of the day. It used to be on 24/7. I do feel physically better when it's not on.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
YOU MADE THE RIGHT MOVE!

WELCOME TO REALITY!

Good luck with your friends and family who are addicted to their TV's.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join