It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I physically removed my TV from my house

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm keeping mine for now only because I'm gonna throw a brick at it. That will be fun..

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
When I was a college student, I didn't have a TV.

When you don't have one, you don't miss one.

Right now, I like to watch the news and a couple of shows but I tend to have the TV on when I'm alone in the house. I guess I like the background noise.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
First I have a 65 inch rear projection HDTV and I would need a team of mules to move it. Then I would have to consider my Xbox and extensive DVD collection fairly costly decorations. But my main problem would be no Football or baseball games... I will keep mine but everything else on TV can take a flying leap.

Everything except Elita Loresca on the KNBC morning news. yummy...

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by evo80

What the....?!

NES? SNES?!

Damn, i cant believe your systems still work.

I miss all of those old, simple games, where anyone could pick up a controller and in 30 seconds know how to play. You are missing one crucial piece of the puzzle... Sega Genesis!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Good for you!

I've always felt that I was kind of addicted to television. First I thing I turned on in the morning, and I would fall asleep with the tv on.

About 6 months ago, I just stopped watching it. Not really sure why, I just stopped. Then moved to another city, don't have a tv or cable, and you know what?

I don't miss it one bit. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Kudos to you, it's a tough habit to break, best way to quit is cold turkey!

[edit on 23-12-2009 by kommunist]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Good for You

I rarely watch mine. Reruns, stupid Soaps

And Happy Holidays to All

PS: A nice video. All performers are deaf !!!!
1000 Buddhas

Oh, the girls are very cute

[edit on 23-12-2009 by shakespear1]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Why not remove the computer then?
Its the ultimate way to voluntarily brain wash yourself.

And if ya still got the tv or envirement killing car or anything else i give ya my adddress send it my way

seriously go easy dude and have a great holiday!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't have any cable and I don't watch any news on television so I believe i'm safe.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I've done you one better, I've never owned one. Of course, the local librarian knows me by name but I don;t think she'll turn me in to homeland security. My sons are two of the most sane people you could ever meet and I blame that squarely on a lack of television.
Still, I love your suggestion and would second the idea to anyone.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Congrats on getting rid of the TV. you could have probably just disinstalled the cable, because the TV itself is not the problem, but the programming of the shows, and all the drug and misc ads every 3 mins.

I stopped watching TV programming just over 4 years ago (oct 2006) I live in apartment in parents house so they still have tv, but i never go in their living room. I still like watching some shows (Stargate crap like that) to fill my scifi need, but I torrent those, so I can watch when I want, with no commercials. Its great. A few times that I have been in the presence of an active TV portal, I watch for maybe 3 mins, then I am repelled like two similar magnet poles.

I have two friends who are brothers. They dont even allow their children to watch tv. They can watch videos, but no programming. In those two households, only the women sit and watch tv for extended periods of time.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Good luck on your choice, and its commendable that you removed something you feel is a detriment to yourself and/or your family.

In my personal opinion, however, you probably got rid of the wrong box, as the PC/internet is potentially a much, much greater tool for propaganda than the television set could ever be. Always be vigilant and remember propaganda only works if one isn't aware prop-tactics are being used.

Regardless, good luck.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
90% of what stopped me from watching were the commercials !!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Thank you for the post...and more, thank you for the action.
Agreed...tv is a brainwashing mechanism, so can be 'some' mainstream music, especially movies, as with any audio/visual medium of information.
It is also be an educational outlet if used properly, yet the majority of productions are coordinated by a few major corporations with vested interests which are unaligned with public welfare, or rather, the human collective - and thus, to this effect, its washing the brains of many people of any recognizing their purpose in life!
Ceased viewing the tv a couple years ago - unless with family, for the purpose of sharing presence with them - and have a new sense of life and in a sense, interact with life more and be alive.
Moved and the new place had a small flat one on the wall covered by a sarong...so we left if there covered like wall art.
Of course, disposing of tv is not necessary to pursue purposeful activities in ones life, it certainly helps reduce distraction because we are far more interrelated to this planet!
Reducing e.m.f. disturbance in the abode is another reason...yes, electrical devices in general contribute to these, yet reducing is key...and thus the less contraptions activated, the better. (NO Microwave either!)
Not to say technology is abhorent, rather that our current supressed free energy techonologies are far better alternatives.
It used to make me laugh and wonder when in alternaive shops to see stickers which read "kill your tv"; yet not having one for so long its obvious.
Any way, in my opinion, the progamming is not worth viewing and the content has degenerated basically, and thus the object is obsolete to me as a source of quality information, while internet is available...and when its not - the Earth always awaits our gentle touch!!!
Watch people, watch birds, watch plants...watch anything alive!
See yourself~

LOVE

[edit on 23-12-2009 by awake1234]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I have determined it to be a brainwashing tool, and don't want it in my house anymore. I just couldn't handle it anymore.

I feel much better, even after just 24 hours.

Has anyone else taken the step, to simply remove their TV?

How did your family react?

How do you feel, and are you accomplishing more in your life?

My girls mom did this a year ago -

They seem much more productive over in that house and they have ALL lost considerable weight

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I just got a new Eco Flatscreen i cannot do that but i do not watch any MSM news its all bullsh** i get my news from the internet i believe i will keep my tv. Just limit what you watch is all you have to do a little movie or game entertainment is not bad just as long as thats not all you do all day long i suppose.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I havnt watched television in five years. I use my computer soley for this site and for my writing. The library card in my pocket is for my entertainment. Since stopping the television I picked up music and learned to play guitar. I've managed to get into the second draft of my first novel in under a year and find I worry less and think more clearly. Aside from the occasional video game (usually after a week of reading or writing) I don't really "veg" anymore.

On the flip side my family is glued to the tv day and night and spout talking points from it like parrots. The sum of their existence is dictated by whats on television and the latest propaganda coming from the tube.

That said I agree with the statement that the internet can be worse but most people who visit this site seem to be aware of it the trap.

What I do find interesting and not mentioned often is the assumption that information in a book is infallible or truthful. Simply put, a book is published, edited and sites its sources and any one of those things is just as suseptible to propaganda if not more so. Take a look at war history for example. There are thousands of books reaching different conclusions and presenting different ideas. Same with politics or any subject matter really.

A books information, its true, has to be vetted but whomever is doing the vetting may or may not be honest or may have an agenda.

So I think its fair to say that no matter where one gets their information they should always come to it with a critical eye and if the info is unsourced it may be best to find another depository of information.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I have determined it to be a brainwashing tool, and don't want it in my house anymore. I just couldn't handle it anymore.

Free for 5 years now....I don't miss it one day, but then again....I guess I just traded in TV for MonitorVision....

Best choice you could of made for having a free thinking mind. Literally, "think outside the box"...

Peace

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

So now you just get brainwashed by the internet? I have a 106" screen but really only watch football and movies on it. You can choose what you and your family watches without needing to get rid of your tv. If you are going to go that far then I think you should also get rid of your computer and cell phones along with maybe books and newspapers. All of those can contribute to the same style of brainwashing.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I haven't owned a tv for some time now ... and if I do want to watch a particular program I just watch it on my computer.

My mother's staying here for the holidays and she's practically sitting in a corner, rocking back and forth dribbling due to the lack of a 'proper' telly.

Woody

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Kudos to you, my friend. I can hardly watch the TV.
Back in the day, I could enjoy watching NatGEO, History Channel, Discovery, etc.... now a lot of it is speculative dribble with nothing based within fact, and the main thing that annoys me is that half the damn show is commercials... no matter what channel it is.
I'm tired of being forced fed the same ads over and over and over again... it's quite sad.

I find out way more info, news, good material, etc. through the internet, where i can cross-check references and so fourth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join