It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to spot a concealed Handgun...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

maybe that is what it is called if you are NOT licensed but ccw means carrying a concealed weapon and if you have the permit it is known a ccw permit sorry if you want to get into technicalities in terminology and didn't understand

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Don't imply that I, do not understand.

reply to post by bigfoot1212

That may be true for where your at, I said in my state. Also when I got my CPL people had to go through and pass a home defense course, before going through a concealed pistol class.

Now as I have been informed, people don't even need classes, they can apply and it is go or no go. Nothing as far as safety courses are required, like what I did.

CCW in Michigan where I reside, is considered carry a concealed weapon, it can be a knife or crow bar, mostly it is used for fire arms of the pistol sort. But sawed off shot guns also have been used.

If you see here it is legally titled;
Concealed Pistol License Requirements

also on the linked page; Notice the CCW link takes you here

It doesn't say any thing about CCW licensure now does it. NO, it say "Concealed Pistol", it looks like you don't under stand.

That is why I said and made clear, "in my state" it is called this and not that. Legal speak CCW is the crime you commited if you are carrying, if you don't have a Concealed Pistol License, not a CCW.

Technically speaking of course.

Also, the technicalities may not be the topic of this thread, but a HUGE misconception is related, and that HUGE MISCONCEPTION is the actual terminology used.

Who better to settle this than "Ask a Cop".

[edit on 28-12-2009 by ADVISOR]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Yes in my state all you have to do is go to the local Sheriff's office and pay $25.00 for a year they run your background, no felonies print your permit off and your out the door its a multi-state license also i think my license covers a majority of the states.
I never leave home without one

We love our guns i carry 9mm with 3 clips
files.abovetopsecret.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/61b3ada2bb90.jpg[/atsimg]

* Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
* Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
* Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
* Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No

Handguns

* Permit to purchase handgun? No
* Registration of handguns? No
* Licensing of owners of handguns? No
* Permit to carry handguns? Yes

Purchase:
It is unlawful to sell, give, lend or deliver a handgun to any person under 18, or to a person whom the seller has reasonable cause to believe has been convicted of a crime of violence, is a drug addict, a habitual drunkard, or of unsound mind.
Possession:

* No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

* Law enforcement authorities have advised that minors cannot carry or possess a handgun.

* It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession, or on his person, or in any vehicle any firearm while participating in or attending any demonstration being held at a public place, or within 1,000 feet of a demonstration after being warned by a police officer.

* It is unlawful to possess, sell, or use a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun.

Carrying:

* It is unlawful to carry a concealed pistol, firearm, or airgun without a permit.

* It is unlawful to carry a rifle or shotgun walking cane.

* No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own home or fixed place of business, without a license.

* Exempt from this prohibition are law enforcement officers, common carriers, and persons carrying unloaded handguns in a secure wrapper from a place of purchase to one’s home or business, or to or from a place of repair, or in moving from one home or business to another.

Concealment:
A license to conceal carry firearms does not authorize any person to carry a concealed firearm into:

* Any airport, courthouse or any other public building that specifically prohibits firearms.

* Any city, state and federal facilities.

* Any public gatherings such as sporting events, political events, parades, etc.

The sheriff of a county may, upon the application of any person residing In that county, issue a qualified or unlimited license to carry a handgun in a vehicle or concealed on or about one's person for not more than one year if the applicant:

* Is 21 years of age.

* Has good reason to fear injury to his person or property.

* Has any other proper reason for carrying a handgun.

* "Is a suitable person" to be so licensed.

The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the license holder is "not a proper person to be licensed." The fee for a license varies, depending on the county.

crime.about.com...

[edit on 28-12-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Hi Advisor,

My state is Florida and CCP and CCW are the accepted terms. CCP is the Concealed Carry Permit, and CCW is the common term for the Weapon that is Carried Concealed.

There is no special law for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, as it is a felony no matter how you are found to be possessing it.

In addition, most people don't realize that we are not just talking about Guns, but "Weapons" in general. A spring-assist pocket knife, a billy-jack or night club, or any other form of concealed weapon is just as illegal!!

I was once pulled over in Georgia with a loaded and chambered .45acp on my hip, my AK47 behind the seat, my spring-assist knife in my front pocket, 2 beers left in a 6 pack on the passenger seat, and doing about 95mph south back to Florida! The Georgia Highway Patrolman was completely flabbergasted at the totality of my offenses, but you know what really set him off??? I forgot that I had a utility razorblade knife in my other pocket. I readily showed him my permits, let him inventory my weapons on the hood of his car, but when he patted me down he found the utility knife and he was pretty pi**ed about it!! He threatened to take me in for the "undisclosed weapon"!!

Long story short, I did a lot of explaining of everything, and he let me go without even a ticket!!! I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but he did follow me to the Florida line
!!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
Yes in my state all you have to do is go to the local Sheriff's office and pay $25.00 for a year they run your background, no felonies print your permit off and your out the door

It sounds like what you're describing is a permit to BUY a firearm. Those are a dime-a-dozen (well, actually, $5 each in my state), and you have to present that permit when making a handgun purchase. I usually buy them 5 at a time, and I don't always use them up.

But $25 is not going to "buy" a concealed carry permit in any state, and you certainly can't just walk in off the street and "buy one. You have to pass the CC course and pay for a 5-year license, which aint exactly cheap, in addition to other federal taxes.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Reply to post by Doc Velocity

Depends on the state. In NH it's $10 and a background check. You get your permit in 2 weeks tops. No stupid mandated class.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by Doc Velocity

Depends on the state. In NH it's $10 and a background check. You get your permit in 2 weeks tops. No stupid mandated class.

Is that a "Concealed" license, or is NH a Right to Carry state?

In general, Right to Carry states only require the basic background check, and permit to buy a gun, but in those states it is illegal to "conceal" your weapon. Ironically, other states REQUIRE the weapon to be concealed, but they have much more intense background checks and more expensive permits.

For those in States without Hunter Safety or Concealed Weapons courses, they are a joke, and by no means should they be considered a Firearms training course. It is just enough to get the permit, and shoot a blank, light load into a sandfilled trashcan to prove your proficiency with a gun!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Hell, I'm living in the wrong state. In NC it's a mandatory class, then a fee for the license, plus taxes, plus a yearly renewal fee. Even then, there are "no carry" zones, even if you have a CC permit.

In Texas, back when I lived there, you could carry a loaded handgun right on the front seat of your car WITHOUT a permit, as long as you were traveling more than 200 miles from home and carrying $500 or more in cash on your person.

Which only made sense.

— Doc Velocity.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Nope no permit needed here to buy any gun. I can drive about 30 minutes away to a local guns shop buy a Barrett 50 cal, AR15, AK47 and many other goodies no permit needed ever.

Im talking the price of my CCW permit it s $25.00 yearly

Also no class needed just go get it is all takes 5 minutes.
Thats one of the better things about Bama.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The only places not permitted here to carry concealed is Schools, Courthouses, and Federal Buildings

files.abovetopsecret.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db4f745091d2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Reply to post by getreadyalready

That's a concealed carry license. There is no license needed for open carry but because a gun in your car is considered "cocealed" most everyone gets the permit.

It's more of a token donation to the states conservation and wildlife departments than a "permit" as most folks understand the term.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

i beg to differ on that-in my state-pa- i pay $15 have my pic taken and give the application.
by state law if they have no reason to deny you you can't be denied.
they have to tell you in 30 days if you are approved or not.
then you go down to pick it up and spend another $10 so that equals $25
if you want it laminated it costs another $2
and our permits are good for 5 years and many reciprocal agreements with other states
so don't go saying NO state issues a ccw for $25 unless you do some research first

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Here in Colorado you must :

1. You must have proof of some form of firearms safety training within the last 10 years.
2. Download, print, and fill out the Concealed Handgun Permit application from your county of residence here.
3. Acquire $152.50 ($100 to your local Sheriff and $52.50 to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation). Take that completed application, and your fees, to your sheriff's office.
4. When turning your application in and paying the fees, your sheriff department will take your fingerprints (yes, just like a common criminal).
5. Now your job is to wait. They have 90 days to issue or deny
6. Assuming you passed the background check, your permit should be available to be picked up.
However, you can carry a concealed loaded pistol in your car with you anywhere you go at any time. All you must do is say it is for "personal protection while travelling". Here is the statute...See C.R.S. 18-12-204

Plus, you can open carry pretty much everywhere here, so if you do not want to go through the background checks and become a government statistic and "person of interest" then just figure out your local laws and plan accordingly.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nostrashawnus

When I lived in CT the process was identical.

Blew my mind that after all that time and money and hassle submitting to interviews and fingerprinting to get a stupid piece of paper that essentially means "I probably wont go nuts and shoot up a school" in CT all I had to do in NH was sign a piece of paper and pay $10.

Guess which state has more crime?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join