It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mao ornament on Obama's Christmas Tree

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm missing something here.
So, the Obamas sent out these ornaments to be decorated, and seems they left it up to the decorates to have what they wanted to be displayed on them.
When they were returned, they were put up on the tree.

I've known local business' and some websites that did similar things, and hung them up unless they felt they were stridently distasteful.

So, should these ornaments that were found questionable not been put up all then?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

What if someone returned an ornament decorated with Hitler's face on it, or David Duke's? Still think it would have made in on the tree? This excuse is very lame and unthought out.

Mao was a mass murderer on the scale much worse than either, but the Obama administration admires the guy because of the way he "persuaded" the masses to go along with his plans. Part of the way Mao persuaded people was killing them.....up to 80 million of them.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
You wanna know what bothers me more than the ornament? This quote from the article right here:

"Of course, Mao has his place in the White House."

Can someone tell me who said that? I'm not quite sure from reading the article (sleepy hehe).

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

You don't seem to understand what I was trying to say, which is alright.

Let me rephrase: He should be allowed to hang whatever he wants. Others are free to say what they will about his choices, however. Just like all of us.

Personally, putting a picture of Mao in a place of prominence (Like hanging it from a christmas tree, for example) just tells me that Obama idolizes him, at least a bit. And even a bit makes me nervous about the man.

All that said, and because I don't think I can make it any clearer, if you feel the need to keep belittling, I guess I'll just back off. It's a good tactic in that it makes people forget about the topic and focus on the attacks. Doesn't do much for solving problems, though.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

but the Obama administration admires the guy because of the way he "persuaded" the masses to go along with his plans.

And now what you all have been waiting for!
Tonights ridiculous unsupported assumption and LEAP OF LOGIC AWARD
goes to...( envelope please), CARSELLER!!!!!!
Take a bow Carseller! Bravo!

[edit on 23-12-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

Yeah, Bush probably put the ornaments up.

When will your obfuscations seize?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
If we have a problem with Mao, then we should not buying anything from China because the bucks are going to the Fat Cats in China. Mao's buddies, Not to the little guy.

I am guilty. A week ago I had a discussion about this and said "OK lets see where my shirt was made?". Needless to say , "Made in China" was the label.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Did anyone actually take a look at the ornament and bother to find out where the Mao image came from?

It's an Andy Warhol painting, considered to be a satire or parody of Maoist propaganda and also of celebrity marketing (Source.

It's part of a decoupaged collage of images on the ornament; the picture given in the link from the OP is too unclear to see what the other images on the ornament are. Maybe it's an ornament designed by a Chinese-American kid telling the story of her family's escape from the Cultural Revolution and realization of the American Dream, for all we know.

Obama didn't design these, I highly doubt he or even Michelle went through to analyse the symbolism of every one of them. I don't know anything about the involvement of Doonan, but while he may have come up with the idea to have schoolchildren decoupage glass balls for the tree, I'm sure he didn't go around to every school to tell them what images to use.

US Political Madness is right

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I thought we learned not to listen to the extremely repugnant and odious views of worldnutdaily?

Mao ornaments? Never knew an atheist, from a traditional Eastern mystic religious nation, would have Christmas decorations! I'm not surprised the lumpenproletariats of ATS are taking belligerent fits over this (especially those who lack the basic understanding of Communism)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
From
www.newswithviews.com...

QUOTE:

..."Lest anyone doubt the communist leanings of President Barack Obama, look no further than to his decision to hoist the Red Chinese flag (for the first time in history) over the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, D.C., on Sunday, September 20.

According to China Daily, "Chinese associations in the United States had applied to hold a ceremony in front of the US President's residence to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of PRC [People's Republic of China] . . .

"More than 1,000 people will attend the ceremony and the performances held after it, according to Zhao Luqun, who will direct the performances.

"Zhao said the performances will demonstrate the friendship, magnanimous spirit and kindness of modern Chinese people."

Trying to find words to describe the extreme offensiveness of flying the Communist Chinese flag over the White House challenges my vocabulary. Words such as UNBELIEVABLE, UNREAL, HORRIFIC, OBSCENE, even TRAITOROUS quickly come to mind. Maybe Obama really is the Manchurian Candidate.

Remember, the communist leaders of Mao's China are not called the "Butchers of Beijing" for nothing. Since seizing power in 1949, it is estimated that the communist government in China has murdered more than 50 million people (some reports say the number is over 70 million). As many as 3 million were killed in Mao's initial revolution.

The historical record of Mao's murderous march to power staggers the imagination. According to Chinese historian Jung Chang, from 1958-1961, 38 million Chinese people were starved or worked to death, and 27 million died in Laogai death camps through 1976. The Weekly Standard quotes Chinese freedom fighter Harry Wu as saying that 15 million died in China's labor camps through 1997. According to Agence France Presse, as many as 5 million were killed in rural purges from 1946-1949, and 1 million were killed in urban purges through 1957.

Then there is Tiananmen Square in 1989, when the Communist Chinese army murdered more than 2,000 college students. The number first reported by Chinese officials was 2,600, but then was quickly retracted. Early American estimates put the number at more than 3,000. The true number of deaths will likely never be known."....

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
..."Lest anyone doubt the communist leanings of President Barack Obama, look no further than to his decision to hoist the Red Chinese flag (for the first time in history) over the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, D.C., on Sunday, September 20.

You are not familiar with diplomacy? It is tradition to raise the flag of the visiting nation.

The Union Jack was flown when Prime Minister Gordon Brown visited Washington, but did you have flash backs to 1814? Did we burn down the capital again, no.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by infinite]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

It is tradition to raise the flag of the visiting nation.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by infinite]

But this was done as a "celebration" of China's 60th anniversary. Taken with everything else we know,this should make people very uncomfortable.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

But this was done as a "celebration" of China's 60th anniversary. Taken with everything else we know,this should make people very uncomfortable.

During the 200 year anniversary of the United States, the Union Jack was flown in a ceremony - believe it was higher than the your own flag (to symbolise Britain as the former colonial ruler)

Worldnutdaily believes every member of the Democratic party is a Communist. If you believe them, then a) you are unaware what the word "Communism" means and b) lacking the ability to think for yourself.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
since nobody else asked this, allow me:

Do you honestly think that Obama would consciously show affection (if he has any) of someone so hated like Mao?

Do you not think that, just like those party goers last month that got by the secret service, that it was somehow something that slipped through the cracks?

It's a system run by human beings.

And as we all know, a 'person' is smart.

'PEOPLE' are dumb, stupid panicky animals and you know it
(Love Tommy Lee Jones!)

Its a flawed system, but its all we got.

its something that slipped through the crack. Its not intentional. There would be no point in Obama choosing to put a mao sticker on an ornament and trying to hide it from the Public.

A.) It would be political suicide
B.) If he is the man you all say he is (evil Satan-incarnate) then he'd have nothing to fear, and he'd just resurrect the dead body of Mao and make him rule over you all.

its no different than all of bush's dumb mistakes, or clintons, or regans, or carters, or ....you get the point

But just because a bunch of idiot liberals bashed bush for petty arguments doesn't make it "acceptable" for a bunch of conservatives to become idiots themselves and start the same idiot bash-fest all over again.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Worldnutdaily believes every member of the Democratic party is a Communist. If you believe them, then a) you are unaware what the word "Communism" means and b) lacking the ability to think for yourself.

Actually,my "critical thinking skills" are remarkably intact! I understand full well the implications of Communism,but I believe others can express it better than myself.

I'll find a quote that does just that-
From
fwcon.wordpress.com...

QUOTE:

...."Read your history. Study what power does to people. Study about the kind of people drawn to power. Study how the get power, how they keep it, and how they use it. You will come to one conclusion: Your mindset of tolerance and compassion isn’t shared by everyone. And when push comes to shove, those people will try to use it against you.

Take the communist movement. A young idealist, Karl Marx, is simply trying to think about all the poor people around the world, and trying to come up with a fair way to help them be free from economic slavery. Sounds noble and good, right? And it is. This is something everyone should work for, starting with themselves, and then their families, and then their communities.

What wasn’t good was Karl Marx’s plan to make everyone equal by government rule. Rather than build up, he wanted to tear down. Rather than quicken, he wanted to kill. He saw obstacles to his wonderful utopic recipe everywhere he turned. His conclusion, and the conclusions of everyone who tries to follow his path, is that everyone else, every other organization, must be destroyed. The ones that must be destroyed first are those that do the most good. In the ashes, society can be rebuilt in the just and true way."...

Just what The Global Poverty Act will accomplish..."Equality for Everyone"! (Everyone being equally poor!)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

Sadly, Marx didn't not believe in the government and the state. Even the idea of a single leader. In fact, he warned of a proletariat dictatorship would exploit his theories.

A true communist society, would be classless and stateless, with workers syndicates make the democratic decisions. Small communities working together.

I've read most of Marx's work, btw. So please, do not insult my intelligence with a third person analysis. If you are pinning your hopes on random links, then you need to find a better source :@:

Try again. I look forward to your next link

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
ATS has officially hit a new low.

thanks.

Classy stuff here. Shouldn't this be moved to bts, or gone altogether?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

The "link" I provided did all I wanted it to do,to clarify my opinion in a way better than I could have done myself.

I'm not going to continue a discussion with someone who is advocating Communism.( Good luck with those Utopian beliefs!)

Nothing personal,but I've got better things to do.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
since nobody else asked this, allow me:

Do you honestly think that Obama would consciously show affection (if he has any) of someone so hated like Mao?

You must have missed the former White House communication secretary, Anita Dunn's comments praising Mao.

www.youtube.com...

It's no secret that this administration has an admiration of this mass murderer. Now the ornament only reinforces that thought.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

You lost the argument, so you throw your toys across the room...

Did I advocate communism? I explained it to a lumpen individual who doesn't know the meaning of it. I mean, it is not difficult to read and comprehend. Basic intelligence is only needed. But, I digress...some people are just too partisan and desperate

I cannot help it if it takes a minute to dismantle your posts btw. Your just too easy.

Merry Christmas!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join