It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is that huge Light near the Sun? Look at Soho now!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Today i saw this on the Soho Sat Live Image. What is that? Flare? Gammaburst? Planet? I never saw a flare of the sun on Soho. Is it maybe christ child
I think you can see this until 25.9.09 on this near-live Stream.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Good find I have no idea what that is?

The image is 5 days ago could be a flare from that sunspot? but I did't think flares show up like that.

No doubt Phage will showup and explain it... saying it's a lensflare or something...

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Are you talking about the bright spot or the black "line"? I'm going to say that the bright spot is a planet while the black "line" is an empty spot in the stream, like it's not transmitting. That's just a wild stab though.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Judging from the brightness, I am going to say it is Jupiter or Venus.
It is one or the other though. Every couple of months a thread identical to this pops up talking about the 'huge light near the sun' on SOHO.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Amazing how many things can be seen to change position (dots) but the bright spot and some stars do not move in the sequence.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Seems to be moving a bit

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
It's either an airballonm or a plane, possibly a chinese lantern

But in all seriousness, it's more than likely a planet of some kind. Don't forget, that anything unexplainable will be removed from the published soho stuff, so you're not going to get anything groundbreakingly sexy from there.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by shakespear1
Amazing how many things can be seen to change position (dots) but the bright spot and some stars do not move in the sequence.
perspective of where the obects are in relation to the soho sat. The planet will seem to move alot more than the stars, as it will be about 163 gazzillion times closer.
(numbers plucked out of my ass)

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I tested if it is Venus with Celestia (A Star Sim). But the Problem is Venus should move from left to right. So is it what planet?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'd say Mercury, could be Venus but I don't think it's current position would allow for SoHo to pick it up.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

I believe the "flare" is a CME- coronal mass ejection. I think that the black line is the support for the occulter disk of the LASCO C3, and I'd guess the bright light to be Jupiter, or other planet.

I don't know SOHO well enough to determine exactly which planet we are looking at. Perhaps Phage or some of our experienced analysts can educate us on the finer workings of SOHO.

cheers!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
I tested if it is Venus with Celestia (A Star Sim). But the Problem is Venus should move from left to right. So is it what planet?

SOHO isn't on Earth. What we see here isn't what SOHO sees.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Its just another puzzlement like that triangular shaped object with the trail behind it in the SOHO image that I never did see a rational explanation for.

I don't know what the current object is but judging from the size it must be one of the planets since its movement is so rapid.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
oh its the swamp gas !! oh no i think its lightning ball or something

Amazing find, S&F

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
there HAS been quite a flare-up on the sun, in the last week or so.

it had been almost abnormally calm for some time but now it's getting pretty stirred up, last time i checked.

here is a good place to check the weather on the sun:
spaceweather.com

The shadowy wave racing away from the blast site is a "solar tsunami"--a swell of hot, magnetized plasma about 100,000 km high packing as much energy as a million megatons of TNT. The tsunami petered out before it went more than halfway around the sun, but another manifestation of the blast is still going. The eruption hurled a faint coronal mass ejection (CME) into space and the billion-ton cloud should cross Earth's orbit on or about Dec. 25th. A glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field could spark polar auroras for Christmas.

oop!
yep, it's probably that "solar tsunami"
click on the link and you can see the picture that goes with that caption i posted, above.

one of the images is probably upside down from the other - either the SOHO or the green one, at spaceweather.com, from NASA's STEREO-A spacecraft.
if that's true, then the two disturbances seem to be in the same area

but my assessment is not the most expert, by far.
----------------

i went back to the site and had to edit my post; there is another green image on the lower right of the page that shows a coronal hole in the same area as the blue SOHO image in the case that they are all right-side up.

i forget how that is, it's been a while since i was watching this stuff.

hopefully someone will come along and set me straight!

[edit on 12/23/2009 by queenannie38]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The bright planet moving from right to left is Venus. Is that what you're talking about? It will be in the frame through February 15th.

[edit on 12/23/2009 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

oh, cool.

thanks, Phage

what about the orientation of the SOHO image compared to the green one from the Stereo-A?
is one of them *upside down* from the other?
or am i not remembering right?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for that clear up, Phage.

It seems, according to your link, we would see mercury too.
I searched the mpeg movies back a few days and it looks to appear in frame around the 17th? Pretty bright, that planet is.

Good find!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Mercury isn't in the field of view yet. I think it will show up on the 1st or 2nd of January. Moving left to right. I'm not sure how bright it will be though, since it will be mostly the night side facing us.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Its Venus.

An FYI for Motorola Droid owners, there is a free application called google sky map, after you launch it you can point your phone at any point in the sky and it will show you all the major stars, planets and constellations in real time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join