It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antibiotics - do we need them and how to make them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Was reading a few posts this morning when I suddenly realised in all the SHTF type movies antibiotics becomes one of the first major things people start to fight over, so my question is in the real world SHTF do we actually need them as badly as shown? Man survived millions of years without them before! If we do need them do people know how to make them? or at least how to make a good alternative!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

Having absolutely no medical knowledge whatsoever i couldnt really answer that question. However, i suspect that antibiotics in todays society just save more lives, whereas without them those lives would be lost.

Mankind obviously did survive without them in the past, but x million would have died every year from conditions that today would be treated with a several day course of antibiotics.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

Man survived before antibiotics, but with a much higher mortality rate. If we ran out of antibiotics, pretty quickly people would start dying of what we now consider minor, easily cured diseases.

The other thing is that bacterial infections tend to have really nasty symptoms, that we never see because they always get treated before they get too bad. Without antibiotics, we'd start seeing biblical plague type stuff, with people dying of excruciating disfiguring diseases. Look up the symptoms of syphilis or bubonic plague, if you have a strong enough stomach.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Right your two posts reflected what i personally thought too

Now on to the main beef of my reason for posting!

How to synthesize amoxicillin/penicillin at home or how to make a decent alternative from natural materials.

As a start I should point out that penicillin is a liquid secreted by the mold that grows on bread/fruit NOT the mold itself do NOT eat it!

Bread mold could be a starting point at least for home production!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Garlic and Honey have a mild antibiotic effect and could be helpful if nothing else is in reach.
Honey has the advantage that it can be stored infinitely, so you can plan ahead with that. Just see to it that the honey is raw, i.e. not pasteurized or heated or something as this process will destroy helpful enzymes and the honey will lose some of its beneficient effects.
Garlic has the benefit that it will grow in a lot of places and we cultivate it in our garden. Isn't hard to do and keeps some critters away from other stuff in the garden.

There are other things like Cinnamon that have antibiotic effects, but honey and garlic are the best known, universally available ingredients.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Silver and other metals can be used as antibiotics as can changing the bodies ph levels.

I do not know much about it though.

I have one of those bodies that would kill the black plague. Heal faster than anything from severe injuries and barely ever get sick.

Clean wounds with the cheapest and best antiseptic-hydrogen peroxide. And still cheap as heck. Get a gallon of the higher concentration(it is also pure enough for food purposes-the lower concentrations can have metals and other contaminants) and use it for medicinal and for disinfecting countertops etc. Without the chemical residues.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Ive looked in to this before and getting that liquid which is secreted from mould on bread. To a point where its safe to use in your body is complicated. I gave up because the sheer ammont of procceses involved meant i would need my own bio lab.

I think the question should be should we use antibiotics? Yes they save countless years each year but is'nt that why the planet is overgrowded in relation to food supplys, water, natural resources etc.

Disease in my eyes is a form of natural population control. Before you say it yes i would be willing to die should i contract a disease. Nature has chose this for me. So its the natural order. There are many natural antibiotics out there used by indiginouse peoples out there so thats where im now focusing my attentions.

If you are going to follow the bread mould path try using fruit instead ei lemon. You get more liquid from bacteria that grow on these.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Just an update on this - seems algebra is correct - lemon mold seems to be the better way to go for this.

As an aside before penicillin was discovered, its seems that going back to ancient egypt the use of moldy bread placed between two bandages and then applied to a surface wound would help cure the wound and stop infection - you can also use moldy pork rind.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
i will just say this coz i`m not a scientist
IF PROBIOTICS ARE PRO-LIFE AND IS WHAT THE GUT NEEDS TO FEED THE THOUSANDS OF TYPES OF BACTERIA WHICH PROTECT US FROM ILLNESS. THEN ARE ANTI BIOTICS CON-LIFE AND WHAT DO THEY REALLY DO

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
In a SHTF scenario I would want my boxes of essential Oils, Colloidal Silver, Hydrogen Peroxide, Apple Cider Vinegar, Bicarbonate of Soda (baking Soda as it is called in the US/Canada), Activated Charcoal Capsules Vitamin C & D3, Manuka Honey - medical Grade, High Proof Vodka, Garlic, Onions, Extra Virgin Olive Oil (& other Oils high in Omega 3),
Herbs, Spices: like cloves, Cinnamon, Star Anise, Turmeric, Cumin Seeds, Licorice sticks, Green Cardamoms, et.c...

I would be making clean water one of my top priorities, and avoiding junk foods and dairy etc. This alone would boost my immune system. No doubt we would all be having to work hard for food and shelter, so plenty of excercise there.

Some of us could well end up being much healthier and focused due to having a slightly harsher lifestyle and a reality check.

I don't have a link, but I remember reading an article which stated that there was a significant drop in Breast Cancer in women who were brought up during the war years, when there was rationing on food, particularly dairy produce.

When taking antibiotics, remember to replace friendly bacteria using natural live yoghurt and maintain the bodys alkalnity.

At all times aiming for a robust immune system and healthy body should be your best defence against disease.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Algebra
I gave up because the sheer ammont of procceses involved meant i would need my own bio lab.

Sir Alexander Fleming would be disappointed. I wonder how complicated his lab set-up was when he first discovered penicillin?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

The problem with hydrogen peroxide is that it doesnt keep. It has a short shelf life and breaks down rapidly in the presence of light. Works great but long term storage just isnt an option

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
reply to post by endisnighe

The problem with hydrogen peroxide is that it doesn't keep. It has a short shelf life and breaks down rapidly in the presence of light. Works great but long term storage just isn't an option

I haven't found that to be particularly true. I have a large bottle of 35% H2O2 that has been on my shelf for over a year. It's been in a dark blue bottle away from sunlight in a coolish place and is still just as caustic as it ever was.

I still use it from time to time as the occasion necessitates and it's still just as effective as when I first got it.

My list sounds a lot like Maya's list.
Plus, there are a lot of herbals that are known to have antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal properties.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I find corn is the best for extracting penecillin, just like the ancient aztecs did. But; you may find this intriguing www.qi.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Wiki pedia says Garlic is a low grade antibiotic for strep throat.
Plant Garlic. Although large quantities interfere with menstartion

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I know a girl who maintains that she has had only one antibiotic once in her life; other than that, her mother gave her garlic and maybe grapefruit seed extract for any illness. She is about twenty-two. Ginger, cinnamon, and onions are definitely noteworthy for their antiseptic properties as well, externally and internally.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It would be a useful thing for just in case type of things.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Most of the foods you eat contain certain chemicals/molecules/compounds/etc, that have naturally occurring 'healing' properties, specifically fruits and vegetables. Cranberries and pomegranates are some of the best things to eat whenever you are sick. Both contain antibiotic and antiviral compounds. Whenever I've been sick, my mom always goes to the store and buys bottles of cranberry juice, and by the next day, I feel 100%. There are even pill which are extract of Cranberries and Pomegranates. Another plant, Stachys monnieri, commonly called the All Heal, has so many healing properties that people all over the world have used it for thousands of years to heal ailments. There are even some who consider the plant given to mankind by God to heal our afflictions.

This knowledge is not some, Indian Myth, Treehugger crap to get you to love every weed in your backyard. These are real facts, with real applications. Native Americans used to chew the bark on certain trees because they had found it to relieve pain. Now-a-days pharmaceutical companies extract a chemical from that same tree, which is used to make aspirin.

There's also one option, that many people don't like, but will always serve you well in the end, and that is just to get sick. Your body is not formed knowing how to fight all kinds of diseases, it has to learn along the way with you. Taking every measure to avoid a slight cough will only come to bite you in the butt when the SHTF. When you're faced with some deadly disease, and your body has no means by which to fight it. Mothers should always breastfeed their babies. Breast milk is known to contain antibodies, which is one of the first steps for the babies body to learn to fight diseases, as well as protecting them.

A few months ago, everyone in my family came down with swine flu. It did nothing more to us that have us sleep in for 2 or 3 days. Every single one of us was breast fed, we had all been sick plenty of times before, and we pulled through like it was anything else. The person who had it worse was my teen sister, who had to stay in bed for a week and just sleep. Guess what? She is the most germaphobic person I know. She's been sick the least amount of times of anyone in our family, and she refuses to do any kind of work and/or chore that has the slightest possibility of exposing her to germs.

Diseases are a part of life. They feel a certain niche in the hierarchical order of nature. Every time we come up with some new vaccine or cure to a disease, and remove it from that niche, there is always a new one there to take its place. They're a part of life, and we just have to live with them either way.

Archistrage

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

The problem with hydrogen peroxide is that it doesnt keep. It has a short shelf life and breaks down rapidly in the presence of light. Works great but long term storage just isnt an option

A good argument against 3% or 5%. However, the fact that H202 decomposes over time, losing it's efficiency along the way, is simply a fact. It's no more a problem than the fact that uneaten food will not keep indefinitely. 35-50% will remain useful and effective for several years, unless stored in direct sunlight. Chances are you'll be able to source more in the mean time.

Shoot, if you've got 15k hanging around before catastrophe hits, and you're that worried, you can by a ready to operate still that will produce 98-99% H2O2 by the ton.

Or... Sodium Percarbonate will last about as long as you want it to. Mix a tiny amount with water... you get usable H2O2. You probably have some in your laundry room already anyway in the form of Oxi-whatever. Or, you can buy a pound of the pure stuff on ebay for $5.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Spot
I know a girl who maintains that she has had only one antibiotic once in her life; other than that, her mother gave her garlic and maybe grapefruit seed extract for any illness. She is about twenty-two. Ginger, cinnamon, and onions are definitely noteworthy for their antiseptic properties as well, externally and internally.

When I turned 30 I changed my whole diet with Juicing more fruits and vegetables, no dairy and no wheat products. I also decided to go holistic in healing my body. I pop a raw garlic clove if I start feeling a cold coming on. Colloidal silver with grape-seed extract for strep throats, honey with lemon for coughs...plenty of liquid B vitamins, Zinc and Vitamin C are great immune boosters too.

BTW..I haven't' been to a doctor for about 7 years now.

top topics

join