It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Own Personal Extradimensional Cosmic Something

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This isn't a story, it's an essay. I wrote it for a class and I thought it made for decent reading. I'm not meaning to jab at anyone here, it's really just personal thoughst and reflections. So, I hope you enjoy, and I hope it makes you think; even if you think about how retarded this essay is

--------------------------------

The belief in God has been a driving force for humanity for years beyond recollection. Men have killed for God, lived for God, and died for God, sought peace for God, and, most usually, searched for God. But what is this “God”, and why have so many people lived, died, and worshipped it throughout the ages; and why do people continue to do so even in the face of the new Babylon built upon the shoulders of modern science?

Reality is what we make of it. To a writer stories are given life by the meeting of pen and paper and pulled into sentience through the flowing of ink, the same can be said of life itself; whereas a scientist looks up to the night sky and sees beautiful galaxies and wondrous expanses of nothingness broken by white hot beacons of incandescent gas, an ancient shaman may look to the sky and see a moth-eaten blanket of darkness with the milk of life and the light of the universe peaking through only to have that blanket drawn away during the day for all the earth to be basked in that same life giving cosmic substance. Both of these observations are true and undeniable, at least to the observer, so who’s to say otherwise? That person’s observation is, in fact, his own reality. What poetry would be robbed from the world if one were to show the ancient shaman that the darkness is literal nothingness and that the points of light were simply giant cosmic nuclear furnaces? Perhaps, as Ackerman states, the poetry of seeing ice turn to stars on barbed wire. The same poetry I see in the growing of new grass after the red tongue of flame has destroyed what was. A belief in God gives man hope, it gives man meaning, and it gives man beauty. It is upon this foundation which I base, and justify, my belief in the existence of God, for I can see that the belief in such a being is not entirely logical but I can also see that regardless of this absence of reason I still find that the belief works for me and that in that practical working belief it becomes reality in me.

In the same way man creates his own reality, man creates his own God. God has assumed countless guises by way of cultures worlds apart. For some cultures he is a wise old man on a cloud, for others there isn’t one, but many Gods. For some people all the gods are part of a collective God-mind, something like Dunsany’s character “Mana-Yood-Sushai” who created the “small gods” as part of a dream, and they went forth to create worlds of their own while remaining nothing more than a dream in the mind of a God who is unaware they even exist. The amount of faces by which people see God is all but unknowable. Very few people have the same idea of God; this is a cause for concern to some but inspiration for others, for if God is infinite and boundless how would he not fit into any shoe given him and therefore be flexible enough to be whatever that individual person can understand while still managing not be reduced by this changing of personalities? On the other hand, if God is anal about his own existence we’re all in trouble.

This malleability is what gives God staying power; since God is such a vast and ambiguous concept every person can put their own hopes and fears into their personal belief in God. To me, speaking from the assumption that this isn’t all uneducated rubbish and superstitious nonsense., this ambiguity points to God being either a non-sentient force, or energy, or some extra-dimensional being who doesn’t conform to any standard of behavior or intent we can contemplate, or be even remotely cognizant of, as humans.

But what does all this mean? Still the question remains, why does this belief in God draw so much attention and energy from us? Why does it still draw men to a life of celibacy and women to a path of chastity? The easy answer is that religion gives us answers to questions about the world, the universe, and ourselves. This answer is becoming irrelevant though, science is explaining many of the questions and shrinking the classical notion of God in the process, or is it?

The reconciliation of science and religion (believe me I use this word for lack of a better term) is something most people can’t seem to be able to do, and I personally don’t get the reason for this. Why does a mistranslated parable about a snake and an apple mean evolution didn’t occur? Is it not a beautiful metaphor for an explosion when God says “Let there be Light”? Why do people see these as conflicting ideas? The semantics are different but that’s all. This provides a great insight for us to understand the schism of these two brothers, science and religion. God compensates for the true meaning of things to us humans, giving us something to look forward to, something to behold. Science takes care of the mechanics. This intertwining relationship is something most people don’t want to see, much less admit. If God really is malleable would it not make sense, though, that he would leave room for humans to flesh out our own identity in him, through science? Would it also not make sense that the actions of God could be understood through the methods of humanly science? If God built the universe on certain principles why wouldn’t he interact with our universe through those same principles?

What is the intent behind creation, is there any? Why does everything work, like Frost says, “what had the flower to do with being white?” Something as large and un-quantitative as the thought process of something potentially bigger than the universe surely can not be wholly understood by our feeble little minds but it can be inferred through contextual evidence.

Design seems like a program, it follows patterns and memes; the golden ratio, for example, or pi. Mathematics itself, something which consistently works throughout any situation we have given it (save black holes) implies a design using certain principles that have been almost written into the fabric of reality itself. The circular and cyclical nature of creation is something which implies a creator who ran a program based on certain principles. The circular changing of seasons, the circular revolution of bodies, be they electrons or planets or solar systems or, potentially, galaxies all seem to mimic each other in an uncanny way. Even the spherical nature of gravity’s effect on free floating bodies replicates this cliché circle of life. So, is God a computer programmer, or possibly even a computer himself? After all, what are our minds but computers given a soul?

So did God execute a program to see what would happen, or perhaps God is an analog which allows reality to exist? Is God truly a creator or merely an observer? Personally, I think God is a force, somewhat like gravity but semi-sentient and intangible, something which drives us to know, to seek, and to imagine things greater within and without ourselves; something which permeates the fabric of our existence so seamlessly that it is imperceptible except for in the mechanics of our reality. Something which is so tightly interwoven with everything we know that, while we feel its pull, we can not know, in all certainty, what to think of the force that pulls us; and it pulls us all in different directions. That is the beauty of an intangible and omnipresent God, we all know the same God without being forced to see that God in a certain way. The awesomeness of this God is that he is all that we understand him to be, and more than we ever will.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Mr Headshot]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Everyone's thoughts about science and religion are not true for each person, there is only one true Truth about everything.

Lots of people can come up with their own musings and daydreams about who or what God is and what is his purpose, but their musings and daydreams are not all true.

God has been interfering directly in human history and has already revealed himself to us. Many people do not like hearing the truth about their Creator who in the end judges and tolerates no evil, and would rather muse and daydream about whatever other idea they would rather have.

Jesus saves!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
So Ghandi goes to hell?

Pre-Christian Native Americans, Europeans, Africans, Asians, Abrigionals all round the world are going to hell?

Everyone who lived before 2000 years ago, and everyone whom christianity hasn't reached is going to hell because their Gods are false is going to hell?

I have a hard time stomaching that.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Reply to post by Mr Headshot

It's only certain type of vain human that believes such tripe IMHO. A classic pyschological ploy attempting to force agreement with their own more often than not narrow minded view of reality.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I have a hard time stomaching that too, and this page deals with that idea biblically in the way I view it.

Do All Non-Christians Go To Hell? Bible Says "No!"

www.internetchurchofchrist.org...

I certainly do believe that Jesus is the only way to salvation, that's what he said and I believe him. He also said that the path to salvation is the narrow path, and the path to destruction is the wide path.

I'm not a dummy either, and my faith is not blind faith, I've been around the block and researched and experimented with other religions, and I KNOW Jesus is it.

I can't prove it, but I am commanded to tell everyone I can that I have experienced his love and I know he is the real deal. And that's the point, he wants us to have faith in him and to come to faith in him through the testimony of others, he already came and proved everything and people have been talking about it for 2000 years but many don't want to believe.

I gotta say though, if Gandhi heard and understood the gospel and rejected it, and thought that his own good deeds would save him, he was wrong. Is Gandi going to hell to burn forever? No, I don't believe that and I don't think that idea of burning forever is biblical either. But he might not end up getting everlasting life with Jesus.

But I'm not God and I don't know what was in Gandhi's heart, I just know that no one saves themselves, only Jesus can do that.

Give Jesus a try, I promise you won't regret it!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I never said I didn't believe in Jesus guys, I just said I think there's more to it than the cartoonish view of faith most Christians have. I do consider myself a Christian, albeit a very easy going and nonconforming one.

[I removed a good chunk of my post here becuase I was just plain wrong, sorry]

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Mr Headshot]

new topics

top topics

join