It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conscious universe getting more support by scientists.

page: 28
<< 25  26  27   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Seems fair enough. Only things to keep in mind would be to:

- sounds weird but, express the intention of the written word to the rice
- use the same amount of rice and the exact same pots
- make sure they are equally clean before use
- make sure they are in a similar environment -> don't put one in the sun while the other is near the fridge etc. You get the point.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Sirnex you are one of the biggest sceptics around on this site, do you honestly think you could even perform the experiment correctly if you don’t believe it would work in the first place?
How do we also know you won’t put in fake results? Look at the videos on youtube, there’s enough people on there that were sceptics and performed the experiment, and got surprising results.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by vasaga

sounds weird but, express the intention of the written word to the rice

I'll try my best.

use the same amount of rice and the exact same pots

That shouldn't be a problem.

make sure they are equally clean before use

I plan on fully sterilizing everything to minimize bacteria.

make sure they are in a similar environment -> don't put one in the sun while the other is near the fridge etc. You get the point.

I was thinking of putting them in the attic, complete darkness and the temperature is nearly constant all throughout.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I wonder who made this crock up?

Unbelievable

Seriously ....

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Sirnex you are one of the biggest sceptics around on this site

Thank you, honestly. It's better to be skeptical of things rather than blindly believing in them because it sounds cool. I appreciate the compliment.

do you honestly think you could even perform the experiment correctly if you don’t believe it would work in the first place?

Considering other skeptical people have done it and obtained positive results, yes I do.

How do we also know you won’t put in fake results?

How do we know none of the people on youtube faked the results, or the original experimenter?

Look at the videos on youtube, there’s enough people on there that were sceptics and performed the experiment, and got surprising results.

I had, but one video really stuck out for me and I plan on performing the experiment with the same tight rigid controls as this man does. I do hope you enjoy the video and possibly walk away from it with a more *questioning* mindset.

When one conducts the experiment with such tight rigid controls so as to minimize as much as humanly possible any bacterial introduction, it really makes you wonder. Is it human thought, or is it simply inadequate control methods that produce the results. Which is exactly why I plan on conducting the experiment in a controlled sterilized setting so as to make one-hundred percent sure that it's my thoughts that bring about change in the rice and not bacteria.

Don't worry, I won't fake the results nor am I against obtaining positive results indicating that thought does control reality. I have never been *against* the idea of this. I am only against the erroneous usage of science in an attempt to "prove" it. Making false claims about what science says doesn't make something true, that is my only issue. I am open to the possibilities of ESP/Magic and to a creator as well. I don't blindly believe in these thing's because there is no evidence I can see for these things. Blind belief is intellectual laziness. Skepticism is about keeping a healthy state of mind.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I have to agree that this experiment is not very controlled or sterile. Not to meantion that bacteria and spore cultures will battle it out for nutrience dominancy so one vat might have a type of winning bacteria and the other a winning spore, so the end result should vary based on which organizim won the eating frenzy.

Interested in the results.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I love that idea that we aren't just single beings, but that we are a collection of trillions of living cells! I'm gonna start calling myself "We"!!LoL

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
reply to post by sirnex

I have to agree that this experiment is not very controlled or sterile. Not to meantion that bacteria and spore cultures will battle it out for nutrience dominancy so one vat might have a type of winning bacteria and the other a winning spore, so the end result should vary based on which organizim won the eating frenzy.

Interested in the results.

I'm interested in the results as well. Given the results of the video however, I do have some doubts over the validity of the original experiment in what it intended to attempt to "prove". When one conducts sloppy experiments purposefully, and I do believe this was done purposefully as he has fudged results before, then one isn't being completely honest. I don't put much merit on dishonest fools trying to persuade the gullible.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
So.. How's the experiment coming along?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I realize that both the new agers and the strict physicalists will be angered by my post. The simple answer is that as of now science simply cannot explain consciousness. Perhaps eventually it will but it will require a revolution in the physicalist paradigm.
The denial of consciousness is absurd. The claim that consciousness creates the universe is unfounded.
As of now consciousness cannot be explained using strictly physicalist terms. For example, it is absurd to deny that i can visualize a triangle in my mind. There is something in my mind that has the shape of a triangle. Saying that is is an illusion is not a solution. Illusions are physical. Take a stick and put it half way into a glass of water and it will appear bent. That is an illusion caused by the refraction of light.However, the bend can be photographed. It is impossible to photograph my visualized triangle. There is no physical triangle in my brain. One has two options if one takes a strictly physicalist position 1. There is a physical triangle in my brain ( which is absurd). and 2. It is impossible to visualize a triangle ( equally absurd.)
The mystery of consciousness is now the most talked about subject in the philosophy of mind. It is no longer exclusively the domain of undisciplined speculation. It has become respectable.
If one denies consciousness and says that pain = C fibers firing, then torture becomes acceptable. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with causing C fibers to fire up. However, there is something wrong with causing pain in an innocent person.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
As for quantum mechanics,

This next video is from a silly new age movie filled with channeling and other such nonsense. Do not judge this clip by the rest of the movie that surrounds it. I came across this video by chance and presented it to a group of physicists at my university. They all agreed that it is accurate. And yes, it is simplified so the average person can understand it.
www.youtube.com...
Yes, an observer created reality is one possibility and has been endorsed by some Noble prize winning physicists. However, that is not the only explanation for the strange results of the double slit experiment. One other explanation is
www.scientificamerican.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
Physicists at this time simply cannot agree on a single explanation. However, one thing is certain, any explanation will be far far outside our common sense understanding of reality.

edit on 25-7-2011 by ineffable because: added words

edit on 25-7-2011 by ineffable because: spelling error

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandKitaro777

Well when you apply Orch-OR to the wave-function of the universe it has a pretty interesting result:

edit on 25-7-2011 by Ajax84 because: bad original video

edit on 25-7-2011 by Ajax84 because: bad original video

top topics

<< 25  26  27   >>

join