page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
ok, Star and flag for you A2d!
This is always a fun topic
But nothing will come of it!

EDIT TO ADD: The above is a poor attempt at humor.
nevermind, it's nothing

[edit on 22-12-2009 by Zeptepi]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

*sigh*

Of course "nothing" will come of it.

That's what I was hoping for.

A2D

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Nothing does not exist, only as a concept for the something to reside.
The nothing can not be measured, it is neither large nor small, to be in the nothing is not possible, if you thought you were in the nothing you would not be, because you which is something would be there so you would not be in the nothing.
This becomes very complex because for even the concept of the nothing to be relized, there has to be something to relize that the nothing does not exist.
This inturn become a micro, macro cosmic thing, the complexity of which the human mind could never grasp.

You can tell by my sig this is nothing I ever think about.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
There's no such thing as nothingness. Nothingness has to have a location, and if nothingness doesn't have a location then it doesn't exist.

Scientists label the vacuum as a place that contains pure information, highly respected scientists labeled this place of pure information consciousness.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

so..."nothing" is only conceptually "something"...correct?

is "nonexisence" conceptually "existence"?
-AND-
is "nonbelief" conceptually "belief"?

edit to add: these questions are open to anyone...

[edit on 22-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Of course nothingness exists!
and I 've got the proof around here somewhere
.. hold on a sec will ya
y
proud to be a humble christian

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
Now, I would like to discuss existence and nonexistence.

There is no spoon. It need not exist for you to be aware of it. There is no necessity, demand, requirement, that the spoon, or you for that matter, need to exist for you to be aware of both.

Think about this for a moment: Have you ever been fooled by a dream? Have you ever run from an imaginary monster in your dreams through an imaginary forest, believing it to be real while running for your life? This is proof enough for me to realize that nothing need exist within the matrix (that mere definition of what everything NOTHING IS NOT) for us to become aware of it ... including ourselves .. or what we imagine us to all be here in these dreams.
If we are so easily fooled by dreams, whose to say existence isn't merely just a dream?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Ow. My brain hurts.

I guess the question is, does existence even exist. Existence itself is just a concept really. To us this whole Universe is real and it exists but who knows we might be the simulated Universe on some far superior beings computer and to that being we do not really exist.

I once wrote a sci-fi story where, before the Big Bang, creatures lived in the nothingness, even before space was there they lived BUT they didn't "Exist" in the same way everything did after the Big Bang.

I guess Nothingness can only exist in the presence of something, because without something there would be just nothing and there wouldn't be anything to compare it to... So I think polarity applies as far as humans are concerned, Nothing is the lack of things, that's why its NO-thing. I used to make the claim that both Nothing and Everything exist as one instant infinite moment, that all that ever was, is, and will be (and wasn't, isn't and won't be) all exist as part of this infinite instant.

Not sure if any of that helps

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Nothing and Something are two sides of the same coin.

These Two are opposites and exist as One Entity or Component!

1. Similar to Spirituality and Religion.

2. Similar to Democrat and Republican.

3. Similar to Life and Death.

These are each two sides of the same coin.

The same, exact, coin.

So in reality there is one coin, yet here we are discussing the difference between the sides of a coin.

How much change do you have in your pockets?

Welcome to the human condition.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

-AND-

[edit on 22-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]
Yes only as a concept there are not boundries on the nothingness, there is nothing there to be bound, it is not something you could put your hands on, with out substance, if you understand concept of the micro and macro cosmic it is not small nor large, you could say it starts where the something ends, but at the same time the something appears to be expanding into the somethingness.

There is no such thing as non existance your statment would give proof of this.
Plus the One, Creator would give support to this also.
The One stood in the nothing and said I AM, hard concept but it appears we are also here floating around surounded by nothing.

Nonbelief was will be the oppisite of believing something "Thing"

If you did not exist what would your explaination of nothingness be?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

It always helps friend, always...

Thank you for your contribution here.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I believe nothing-ness does not exist, simply because it can't exist. When you contemplate nothing what do you think of, blackness? If so, blackness is something, which isn't nothing. Nothingness is a state of non-existence.

Think of it this way. What is the only way you get something from nothing? The only thing capable of doing this is consciousness (a thought is something gotten from nothing). The act of having the thought brings that thought into existence, it doesn't take it from a place of nothingness because if it did there would be something there.

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. So either thoughts produce measurable energy that leaves the body, or the energy used in the metabolic process of your brain are conserved in another way (stay in your body, released through heat, etc.) Either way its implications are amazing. On one hand you have thought as measurable energy that is projected into the environment, and on the other, thought is the only thing that defies the Laws of Conservation of Energy (something out of nothing) because the energy used by the brain to have the thought was in no way part of the thought, ie: the energy used to move your arm is released as movement. But where did the energy used for the thought of moving your arm go? Sorry if this is unclear but it is difficult to express these things in words. I hope you all get where I am going.

(You can argue that thoughts come from biological processes but I believe those processes merely allow thought to happen, they don't create it. Until the scientific world can tell us where thought comes from, exactly and without a shadow of a doubt,the only things we have on the subject is our experiences and beliefs.)

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by awakened sleeper

Very well put.

With that analogy, belief and nonbelief are both one coin as well, yes?
Therefore, would the burden of proof also apply to "nonbelief" despite popular opinion?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I see no evidence that nothingness exists, but my definition of nothingness probably isn't the same as yours. Whats outside the 3rd dimension or beyond the supposed walls of the universe I would not consider nothing.

I think the universe came from something, and everyone came from something that already was, this being the case we technichally are as old as the universe.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

If you did not exist what would your explaination of nothingness be?

My instinct said "me"...I don't know how else I COULD describe it...besides BEING it...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ModestThought

My head is tingling.

Nothingness is a state of non-existence

If nothingness doesn't exist, how can "non-existence" exist?

Nothing = Something // Nonexistence = Existence?

A2D

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

So...you are of the belief that everything always was...it just took shape...or like subatomic particles..."became" observable... correct?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

-AND-

From a mathematical standpoint it's easiest to see 0 as representing:

A ≠ A

Put another way, what number doesn't represent itself? There are two "numbers" that somewhat fit this description. Infinity isn't a discrete value and because of this takes on the following form:

Complex ∞ ≠ Directed ∞

Likewise nothingness isn't nothing it's actually the culmination of both the positive and the negative (i.e. 3 + 0 = 3 - 0 ⇒ 3 = 3 because 0 has inside it the notion of both positive and negative allowing for cancellation). If you have a hard time understanding this consider: a + b = a - b ⇒ 2b = (a - a) ⇒ 2 = (a - a) / b; where b = 0! So we can see dividing 0 by itself gives us the + & - components (or 2).

Thus,

0 (as nothingness) ≠ 0 (as the summation of + & -)

Put another way 0 as representing abstract nothing is different from actual nothing (+ & - summed).

Now the reason I say all this is because it's easiest to understand all of these ideas of nothingness and somethingness when we view it as a continuum.

For instance ask a schooled philosopher, "What is the opposite of love?" 9 times out of 10 the answer will be apathy. Ask an average person off the street and you'll get, "Hate." Who's right?

Apathy is the absence of love or hate. Love is a passion (i.e. 1), and can only be countered by a passion from the opposite end of the spectrum, that is hate (i.e. -1). Apathy is that point in the middle (or 0 as representing the summation). Another possibility that's commonly ignored is the idea of not even having a feeling towards the situation because none has been created yet. This is clearly different from apathy, but also represents 0 (as abstract nothingness).

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Xtraeme]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The only reason all this exists at all is because nothing is impossible, thus more proof. It would have been a miracle if NOTHING were possible.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I still have not formed my belief because I don't make decisions until I have enough information, and as you can see the jury is still out. Going with out laws of conservation, the only possible explanation for our existence is that we are a thought in the consciousness of The One Who Is.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join