It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The conflict: Do you believe, or do you not?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I DO believe!

I have been guilty of having a "dark night of the soul", but the higher power, as I understand it, has always shown me there is something out there above me. I have never seen a burning bush, I have never been visited by an angel (that I know of), but I have been personally rewarded for being a good human being; not ever materially, but spiritually.

Because of my above statements I am sure anyone reading can see that I was educated with Judeo-Christian values; to throw in a curveball, I truly believe in a Karmic stream that flows through all sentient beings. So, my belief does not speak from religious dogma, but a true spiritual understanding. As mentioned earlier, I was raised in the Christian church, I believe Christ is my savior, by attempting to live in His light, I have been saved from darkness. I wish to be more like the person in His teachings, so that I may be of some benefit the human race.

If someone else has found similar personal understanding and great compassion for other humans from a completely different religion, then thumbs-up to them.

I cannot explain it better than I have here...

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dookie Master
I DO believe!

I have been guilty of having a "dark night of the soul", but the higher power, as I understand it, has always shown me there is something out there above me. I have never seen a burning bush, I have never been visited by an angel (that I know of), but I have been personally rewarded for being a good human being; not ever materially, but spiritually.

Because of my above statements I am sure anyone reading can see that I was educated with Judeo-Christian values; to throw in a curveball, I truly believe in a Karmic stream that flows through all sentient beings. So, my belief does not speak from religious dogma, but a true spiritual understanding. As mentioned earlier, I was raised in the Christian church, I believe Christ is my savior, by attempting to live in His light, I have been saved from darkness. I wish to be more like the person in His teachings, so that I may be of some benefit the human race.

If someone else has found similar personal understanding and great compassion for other humans from a completely different religion, then thumbs-up to them.

I cannot explain it better than I have here...

See, I don't follow the same views as you, your beliefs as you said are somewhat Christian. What I've always said is, even though I don't believe in those views (specifically the bible) that doesn't mean it's a bunch of crap. The teachings of Jesus are still good. The problem is I think all the stories are very embellished making them hard to understand because there is so much added within these teachings and stories. But when you get down to the nitty-gritty of these teachings, they show you how to live a good life and how to treat fellow man and I like those ideas.

But I tend to look more into the Buddhist beliefs they are more of my kind of thing, with the whole spirituality and all.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Agreed. Many of the writings in the Bible are embellished, if not all. The margin that I can gleen from the Bible about how humans should live and help each other is where my belief are based. If people could get their nose out of that ancient book and start placing the views into action, then many things would be better.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dookie Master

It's good to see someone religious able to agree with what I had to say. Glad you're more open minded then others seem to be.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

I don't mean to split hairs, and yes I still agree with you, but I am spiritual, not religious. Religion has ruined many peoples spirituality, fortunately not mine. I wish one of the many prophets could come back and explain to the population what they really meant for us. It would be a lot different.

Have you ever read "The Grand Inquisitor"?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dookie Master

No I haven't. To be completely honest my knowledge with religion is sort of limited to certain religions, so I cannot really be too insightful when it comes to other religions/religious views. And my bad about saying you were religious, it just sounded like you were by the things you talked about, didn't mean to label you, especially so quickly.

I am a spiritual person... a spiritual being, as we all are (some more than others unfortunately). Just wanted to make that clear

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There is no conflict, .. I believe in nothing yet know everything.

The universe flows through me, and I ride it as a cork floating in water.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If you are still filing W2s and going to the polls you can hold up your hand and say "I have absolutely no idea what reality is and I live a lie.

So before ya start saying your atheist, agnostic or spiritual. Try to begin with the very first barometers in the physical world to test your grasp with reality.

Yes..with something simple as filing or not filing w2s and voting at political polls you can begin your journey.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

Who says you have to start there at all? What you believe and what I (or anyone else) believe can be totally different. Exactly the point of my OP, trying to see the differences between others beliefs and why they believe in what they do, I find it interesting. If this is what you believe, then that's cool, but don't say it like it's fact or try to belittle others with your words, thanks

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I do not believe in God, or anything else that may be considered a "creator", "higher being" or ultimate "controller". These ideas are entirely man-made.

That said, I do think there is more to us than the physical being.

When you break the human body down to its component parts (atoms) there is no way these atoms can think, feel, etc.. so something extra must exist on top of this physical being.

Just putting atoms together in a particular way will not create a living, breathing human with a personality. It is quite possible to have a living body with no life. What you can't have is a life without a living body, or to put a life into a living body. It is why we will never be able to create life entirely from parts in a lab, even if it chemically looks identical to a living thing.

[edit on 27-12-2009 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

Aren't you sort of contradicting yourself a bit? It sounds a bit like you believe in a soul of some sort (doesn't have to be that word). Since you agree there is more to human beings than the physical body, what else would you suggest there too be? We have free will because the brain & minds we have allow us too, and spiritually we allow ourselves to experience this physical realm to further ourselves. You don't have to believe me, nor believe in what I have to say, but I'd like to hear what you think is within us since, as I said, you stated that there is more to humans than the physical self.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join