It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health Canada seeks input on adding anti-cancer drug to junk food.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Health Canada seeks input on adding anti-cancer drug to junk food.

ca.news.yahoo.com

Ottawa wants to know what you think about its unusual proposal to put a cancer-fighting drug into junk food.

Health Canada is inviting public comments until February 21 on its idea to have small amounts of the enzyme asparaginase put into foods like potato chips and french fries. On its website, Health Canada says its scientists have finished a detailed safety assessment on the enzyme and haven't found any health or safety concerns.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Among just speculation, this enzyme has been known to be linked to such side effects as pancreatitis.

Additionally, it can also be associated with a coagulopathy as it decreases protein synthesis, including synthesis of coagulation factors (eg progressive isolated decrease of fibrinogen) and anticoagulant factor (generally antithrombin III; sometimes protein C & S as well), leading to bleeding or thrombotic events such as stroke.

Among other things I would like to point out that they headline this as a cancer fighting drug. So they're going to be soon telling us it's cancer-fighting-junk-food. Quite the oxymoron if you ask me.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-12-2009 by born2BWild]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So funny you posted this i just heard about this over lunchtime at work.
So a lie to you is a lie to me but i heard they want to put it in Big Macs? Well i can say im not a fan of them putting anything in my "food" but a big mac is borderline at best real food.
Most importanly though if they touch the flavour of that delicious gift from the Gods i will riot. Big Macs are mouthfulls of happy, id wash my face in the secret sauce if i had enough, LOVE EM!
To conclude, cancer medication in Big Macs not enough known yet, Big Macs taste good. I really earned my post with this one, but at least ill keep it up near the top so more people can get educated, S&F.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Trust nobody. If you didn't make your own food then it's not safe.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
AT least they asked first instead of just doing it. While the premise and intention behind it seem good, the idea of "lacing" food for mass consumption without being able to monitor or diagnose allergies is dangerous at best. I say no.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
What I got out of reading this is nothing more then a drug company looking to make a big score. I may not know who holds the patents on what, but I think all this is about is a drug company lobbing to get one of there products put into foods on a continual basis to ramp up there sales. And if there are side effects, they can sell them more drugs to combat those. Its a win win for the drug companies.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by born2BWild

Well I am very surprised that US been run by big pharma nd insurance companies they didn't come out with this "idea" first.

What will be next, statin drugs and fat pills on food? how about anti depressants when they are at it.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Chemicals don't work in a vacuum. How do the proposed drug additions react with the chemicals already in the food is the real question? They may have a completely opposite effect.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by born2BWild

Now after reading the side effects and warnings I wonder if the whole thing is nothing but a joke.

Pharmacologic Category
Antineoplastic Agent, Miscellaneous

What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
Dangerous allergic reactions can occur. Tell healthcare provider about any fever, rash, feeling tired, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, belly pain, flu-like symptoms, sore throat, cough, or difficulty breathing. Do not restart this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction.

Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to asparaginase or any other part of this medicine.

• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.

• If this medicine caused bleeding, a blood clot, or an irritated pancreas before.

• If you are pregnant or may be pregnant.

• If you are breast-feeding.

What is this medicine used for?
• This medicine is used to treat leukemias/lymphomas.

How does it work?
• Asparaginase injures cancer cells causing their death.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I agree it seems like the key is to get a product out there that can be pumped into any food item that will have it and then put the consumer into a perpetual loop of buying more drugs for different reason. Maybe the additive which is added is addictive and they simply cannot stop eating. Maybe there is a drug company behind this and they can sell their patented drugs from the resulting side affects. Of course this is speculation but it would make sense to dig deeper.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by loneoak

I never thought about that good point. If the already included chemical or compounds, enzymes, whatever is in there triggers some sort of adverse reaction than that would be Lawsuit galore and I personally don't believe they would risk that unless it was based on some long term minor ailment.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by born2BWild]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I guess we are the lab rats eh?
heres another article

www.cbc.ca...

Cancer-fighting junk food: Would you eat it?

Hell no i would rise up and start a peacefully revolution before this happens

Please People reject this idea!

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I agree and here are a few reasons why. . .

Vitamin-added junk food concerns prof
NUTRITION: Health Canada may loosen regulations and let manufacturers add nutrients

Health Canada may soon allow processed food manufacturers to add vitamins and minerals to junk food, a move one health expert said defies logic.

If a discretionary fortification policy were adopted, staple foods such as breakfast cereal, fresh meat, cheese, bread, rice, fruits and vegetables would be ineligible to receive nutrients because they naturally contain vitamins and minerals.

Luckily there are people who will fight against this sort of stuff, what I would deem corruption.

Although Health Canada was expected to publish the proposed regulatory changes in March, they have now been delayed indefinitely by Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
If they are asking, they have probably already done it. I mean c'mon, you know our government, that's the way they work. They give you a bit of anesthetic, slip the knife in your back and then ask if it's OK.

I mean seriously, this "new request" is coming from the group that brought you coffins-for-aboriginals, the incredible waste of taxpayer money on the H1N1 SCAMDEMIC and they promote Monsanto's terminate seed and GMO technology in the UN and worldwide. Our government are nothing but corporate shills. We need to kick these meat puppets out of office.

What's next, Aspartame in the water supply because scientists say it's good for you to?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Haha, very funny. Flouride and Aspartame would be like a double kick in the butt. What's even funnier is they would probably end up being able to do it with a little bit of luck and a little bit of data misinterpretation.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Completely ridiculous, they should be telling people to lay off eating so much crappy fast/junk food or stop eating it completely. Not putting more crap into crap and saying it's good for you.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Why don't they put it on the Big Mac instead? The french fries are fried, which is bad for the skin, and its lack of nutrients(namely fiber and protein) contribute to obesity.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I agree with the poster above. What would you expect from Mr. Hitler..err... I mean Harper!

There are soooo many things that this government is pushing through and we as a nation just sit and take it up the @$$!

Canadians... you need to wake up an smell the coffee. Get rid of this government now before it is too late!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
the plus is that people who dont care about eating healthy and taking care of themselves will get what they deserve... its jsut like the vaccine... depopulate the people who are selfish and dont think.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

This stuff will be in most of our bread products - no just junk food! Most of us will be subjected to consuming it!

Additives of any sort should not be added to foods. We already consume way to much. People need to be more educated to eat healthy, whole foods.

Asparaginase is powerful cancer fighting "drug" and has no business in our food stuffs. Several countries have already approved this additive.
Born2bwild the US gov., Denmark, Australia and NewZealand have already approved its use!

Help stop this madness now by signing my petition which will be delivered to the Federal Government of Canada before February 21, 2010.

www.thepetitionsite.com...

Canadians please speak up now and I even ask people from other countries to do the same, as this will be coming to your country eventually.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by krazykanuk]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join