It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sound wave" from Ocean Shakes San Diego Town

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jigore
reply to post by on_yur_6

I highly doubt the sonic boom theory.
The energy required to be abble to shake windows as far as 120 miles away is just too great.

so how long does it take an F-15 to cover a distance of 120 miles if its flying at a speed of Mach 2.5 (1650 mph)? and the F-15 is an old plane, are they testing new ones?

[edit on 12.22.09 by toreishi]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm leaning towards the Sonic Boom explanation as well because I've literally been knocked out of bed by one. Damn thing rattled the cabin so much that the 4 poster fell apart. I couldn't tell you how far a boom might travel but I can tell you that the shock wave produced is quite powerful.

Sounds like there may be more to this story though...

Great find Hack. S&F

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

As soon as i read that i thought of the two unknown sounds in the same area of ocean back in 1997.. the famous Bloop and Slow down sound

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

the second one is quite scary...
scientists confirmed that it belonged to some large creature much much larger than the blue whale but what it is for sure no one knows...

quite creepy that lovecraft put that sunken city in the same area those two sounds were taken.

interesting, who knows what is out there..

S&F

EDIT: i see you said the same thing

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

The origin of the sound was 120 miles off the coast. Also a plane will not travel 120 miles while ''sonic booming''.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Thanks appreciate that!!
Even if this "boom" was military can you imagine a sound wave traveling an estimated 120 miles and still shaking buildings? Thats a hell of an instrument of death, or possibly defence. Come to think of it the US said theyd be running drills to simulate an attack on its coasts, specifically from Iran. Im not sure if Iran would go East coast or West coast but a wave of that magnitude could surely disrupt a Missile.
I also saw on a Discovery channel show last night that a Nuclear bomb coated in Cobalt would destroy all life on earth. This is well withing our technical reach but the reasoning for not worrying about it is because they theorize no-one is crazy enough ti kill all living things because whats the point?
I dunno about you but that logic doesnt craddle me to sleep.

No worries. Sorry just checking back in and I regret no word. I only dealt with one other person today, so not much base either.

I wouldn't worry about the nuclear bomb thing...they don't exist, but even if they did, we'd never of seen anything coming if they did blow.

Anyway there are a lot more pages then when last I checked. Hopefully better answers then I have given.

Peace

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jigore

Sonic boom is an impulsive noise similar to thunder. It is caused by an object moving faster than sound, about 750 miles per hour at sea level. An aircraft traveling through the atmosphere continuously produces air-pressure waves similar to the water waves caused by a ship's bow. When the aircraft exceeds the speed of sound, these pressure waves combine and form shock waves which travel forward from the generation or "release" point.

As an aircraft flies at supersonic speeds it is continually generating shock waves, dropping sonic boom along its flight path, similar to someone dropping objects from a moving vehicle. From the perspective of the aircraft, the boom appears to be swept backwards as it travels awayfrom the aircraft. If the plane makes a sharp turn or pulls up, the boom will hit the ground in front of the aircraft.

This site says it does. the observer merely hears the sonic boom once the plane producing the sonic boom passes by, so two observers at different locations will notice the effects of a sonic boom at different times.

if an F-15 travels at 1875 mph (Mach 2.5), it will cover 31.25 miles in a minute so 120 miles in 3 minutes doesn't sound that far-fetched, what with afterburner and all.

[edit on 12.22.09 by toreishi]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

By the way, San Diego is America's seventh largest CITY, so it probably doesn't qualify as being called a TOWN

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
These strange boom sounds have also been heard in Orlando, FL a few years back. They were so loud it shook houses over a great area and could be heard as if it was an explosion very nearby. I can recall that the media reported the booms as unexplained in the days afterward and perhaps coming from a military source considering NASA and the shuttle launch site. To this date no confirmed source for the booms has ever been declared but a review of Orlando Sentinel Newspaper articles will confirm that these loud booms have occured in Orlando, FL and remain unexplained to this day .

SMR

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Video report on one local station has been removed.That happened last time.
Going to another local station site has no video but a small report that say -

SAN DIEGO -- A loud noise heard and felt by many San Diegans was determined to be a sonic boom, 10News reported.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the loud noise heard and felt by many around the county shortly after 4 p.m. was the result of a sonic boom and not an earthquake.

USGS seismologist Robert Dollar told 10News sonic booms are caused by high-speed aircraft and it is possible the noise bounced off the atmosphere and made its way around the county.

Dollar said the military has high-speed flying areas near the Mojave Desert and over the Pacific Ocean.

No damage or injuries have been reported as a result of the loud noise.

LINK

USGS giving an 'official' conclusion to this?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I don't know if it's relevent, but I heard on the news yesterday or so that there was a huge underwater volcano that erupted...they had something underwater filming it and it was awesome to see. I was HUGE...

So maybe soundwaves can travel from an event like that?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This is just a quick thought that came to mind. Could this be the russian test missile that they are blaming the sky spiral on?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Well I guess you are right on this. But the origin of the sound was still 120 miles away from the coast.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Hello, i very rarely post here. We had the same thing happen here in Australia about 3 weeks ago on the east coast near Newcastle, a reasonably large city. There is an airbase near there. The three towns mentioned are to the north, south & west, approximately 60klms distance away from Newcastle. It came in 2 distinct bursts over a period of one minute according to witnesses. No one had experienced this before & there have been earth tremors in Newcastle over the years & many people are familiar with them. The government said it was a sonic boom from an airplane. Good luck.
www.theherald.com.au...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I find it funny how an unexplained event can have such a simple answer like a sonic boom. I mean with the number of times the sound barrier has been broken would lead one to believe that it would be a documented and known phenomena. Then they said "chem trails" are standard vapor trails as see post WW2. people bought that one too.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Blame the russians! You know that in the next year or so any mysterious occurances will be attributed to russia and those pesky missiles!

Scary stuff though.. hope it was something simple like a sonic boom, although why the military wouldnt just admit to that is beyond me..

I particularly enjoyed this comment someone made on the article in the OP's link -

'That is the LAST time I am buying anything off the value menu at Taco Bell. You all heard the percussion, my bathroom is completely destroyed. It looks like a biohazard met high explosives.'

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My first thought here was a sonic boom made by what i don't know just thought of that straight away after reading the thread headline

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

Agreed about the military part of it, why wouldn't they just say they were doing some flights. The fact that so many people on here claim to have heard it, even a poster from Australia said they had something similar.
My best guess is that it has something to do with the fault lines and some sort of activity.
CALL AL GORE!!!! hahah not but seriously i for one welcome i new over lord Manbearpig.
Hopefully in a couple days something will become apparant because i hate when things like this get slapped with the simplest explanation that doesnt explain anything.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This is what a sonic boom looks and sounds like. Notice how close the people are and hats dont even move. Not even wearing earplugs, doubt this could shake houses with a rumble.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

I live just outside San Diego, and I didn't think too much of it, but the air shook everything for just a few moments. I instinctively thought earthquake, but there was nothing else, and it behaved nothing like primary or secondary waves.

I didn't hear anything, but I certainly noticed something odd for that moment and I would have just forgotten it were it not for this post.

Although there is no proof, the weather today is like the storm of the century about to blast us into next week, there could be a connection, or not.

Don't care, really. I was there and it wasn't THAT exciting.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

I also experienced 2 months ago a mysterious sonic boom late one night powerful enough to trip car alarms then nothing.

This was a SHAKING. Not a boom. Completely different.

I was there.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by GideonHM]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join