It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012: Did it ever occur to anyone that just maybe...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I understand what you're saying. The Holy books do contain some historical truth. Proof of that is in the cross-referencing of biblical vs. non-biblical accounts of some of the same people mentioned in the sacred texts by outside authors. Archaeology is another helpful avenue for depicting what people in those time frames believed, what they looked like, and how they lived.

Unfortunately, the messages in the books may have become distorted or misinterpreted, whether intentionally or unintentionally, to suit certain groups' political agendas at the time. That doesn't mean that the texts are untrue or have no value. The details surrounding the historical text have philosophical value as well if understood and followed correctly within the context of the original intent as it applies to modern times. The Bible, for example, is often called The Living Word. If that's the case, then I think that it means that it is flexible and dynamic like all living things. Naturally, it would need to bend and flex like something with life such as an animal, a green twig, or even grass and flowers to suit the level of understanding and needs of the people of the times.

Unfortunately, the Bible and the other major religious texts were written so long ago that it's difficult to bridge the gap between those times and ours. IMO, either the biblical texts have become mistranslated (or rewritten altogether), the religious leaders do not understand the messages themselves or know how to successfully relay the information to their church members in a way that can be easily understood (otherwise there wouldn't be so many different interpretations and branches of religious sects), or maybe people have just lost the ability to understand the messages. This may be due to archaic language, unfamiliarity with the geography and customs of the times, or just an inability to comprehend the concepts period.

IMO, too much time, distance, and cultural differences, that are not acceptable in civilized society today (such as slavery, human and animal sacrifice, 'justified' murder of family members or others with different beliefs, etc), have made books like the Bible and the Koran incomprehensible (and sometimes barbaric) to many people. It's not our fault that we're just not in touch with those people, their unfamiliar lifestyles and descriptions of events and surroundings that are no longer seen nor can be understood by us because we have no current reference to them.

Also, I don't think that the religious texts are meant to be followed word-for-word exactly like they were back in the day when they were written. We don't live like that anymore, but that doesn't mean that those days and people were better than us today or any more spiritual. For example, it is totally not acceptable to nail people to crosses while angry mobs jeer the accused and prod the executioners. It's illegal to kill family members (or anybody for that matter) for any reason today. Slaughtering animals for burnt offerings is also not acceptable today. I don't know about you, but I am glad that those things are not deemed acceptable anymore. Civilization and modern thought do have their advantages.

Honestly, I wish that proponents of science and religion would just call a truce and open their minds to the possibility that the REAL TRUTH may be an amalgamation of both. Honestly, due to all that I've studied on both the scientific and religious fronts, I feel strongly that may be the case. I think that it's arrogant of us to completely dismiss any possibility. After all, we are the created--not the creator thus we cannot know the mind of our creator(s).

Even Albert Einstein was unable to understand the mind of God which is why his Theory of Everything remains unsolved. Even he, with his brilliant scientific mind, recognized and was humble enough to admit that there is an unexplainable organization and order to the universe that is too coincidental to ignore.

Great thread idea, OP.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by gazerstar]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Yes indeed this has occurred to many people. In fact it's a common theme on 2012 forums that this could be the apocalypse foretold in the bible..
I am not religious but I recognise that the bible is probably a mish mash of all sorts, of truth and myth. Who knows, there might even be an alien or two in there somewhere or even the God of religion. Or maybe not. We will find out soon.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am not a person to dismiss the theories of 2012 but I doubt the world will end on that date..the theory differs from theorist perspective on the topic..some say the world is going to end while others say that the mayan calendar just shows an ending in one age and the beginning of another..Both very interesting...I do think that if 2012 were the end of the world it would probably be the end for US or a large portion of the world..

I do believe that earth will not be destroyed but its inhabitants...that is if that is the theory you are referring to....but to be honest i believe that the correct theory is the one with the new age event..not the catastrophic one...The mayans, egyptians and such were very smart..if it were suppose to be the end..I think the signs would have been more available..also we have yet to notice any signs as far as coming natural disasters...

Overall..yes something will happen on 2012 If and only if Humans got the right date..because remember 2000..the "End of the World" event which never happened..supposibly that was the original 2012 year but miscalculations screwed it up

I saw a special on aliens and gods...I am not at all a religious person but do believe that the gods are actually aliens and that they will return to earth very soon...well according to the signs left by the mayans and such...Ill try to find the name of the Program..it was on History Channel or A/E

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Look, what you are saying is right about the threats form the Cosmos(such as comets, minor planets(also known as asteroids) etc). But the question is this "why 2012 and what scientific evidence is there that proves that the earth will end on 2012?". Science is always true, not right or wrong it's not a religion it's the true natural of are universe and all ways has been. religion is always wrong because it always point to that god or something with in that context. The reason why I think that 2012 is fake because it's just a calendar no science to it. If you do find scientific evidence, please reply or pm me.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 2ded12

If you watch the Timeline2012 video, you would note that regardless of which catastrophic theory you subscribe to, for the last HALF MILLION years, there has been a consistent pattern of 100,000 year cycles: 80K-yr ice-age followed by 20K-yr warming period - we are at the TAIL end of the 20yr period about to enter an ice age.

Ice ages are brought about by catastrophic earth changes. Specifically, from the sun being blocked out, since volcanoes would be erupting for 100s of years, after massive geophysical stress to crust/tectonic plates, brought about by 'whatever' that is proven to cyclically happen by earthly evidence/record.

Make sense?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If some scientist found out that Yellowstone will explode in 4 days, everybody would just say its a hoax. Anything that has to do with death is always a hoax to people.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

True, but my point is that the world always have some sort of threat as long as it is exising. The world can end at any time, it does not need a date( like 12/21/2012 ). Just do not sell your house, quit your job or try to start your own religion, etc. By the way, an ice age is a long process it's not going to happen all in one day(like 21/12/2012).

[edit on 30-12-2009 by 2ded12]

[edit on 30-12-2009 by 2ded12]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2ded12

True, but my point is that the world always have some sort of threat as long as it is exising. The world can end at any time, it does not need a date( like 12/21/2012 ). Just do not sell your house, quit your job or try to start your own religion, etc. By the way, an ice age is a long process it's not going to happen all in one day(like 21/12/2012).

Two things:

- The world can end at any time, this is true - and I realize that our lifetimes are but a blip on an astronomical scale- so a common argument is 'why now, of all times?' - but, where we find ourselves now is at a time where there is a strong convergence between religion, science, prophecy and history. And also in a time where the technology/ability to make those connections is more accurate than ever. And that information says we are at the precipice of one of these cataclysms

- the ice age IS a long process - but the event(s) that will cause the ice age are immediate and violent.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Interesting. I believe you are correct. I don't think 2012 has anything to do with religion.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Why now? I believe the ancient cultures we reference(Mayan, Egyptian, etc) probably found ancient artifacts giving them clues to the galaxy seasons. Our passage around the Sun with our inclination gives us our seasons, is it not reasonable to assume that our Solar System goes through cosmic seasons as well?

I imagine these seasons last much longer than ours and the fact that something devastating seems to trigger an Ice Age every 100 000 years or so destroying all the records as almost everything is wiped out. Ancient Cultures were very good astronomers and mathemeticians so maybe they figured out the workings of the cosmos better than we did.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The universe isn't a neat, orderly system, so to speak.
With exploding stars and collisions between galaxies, it's a very active and violent place.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I've just seen the complete serie of 2012.
WOW

It's sounds pretty convincing, just as almost any other theory i read.

I,m no proffesor or something, when this gye shows favourite photo of a pinwheel galaxy.
He points out to what he thinks is a new galaxy, originated from the center of the other.

However scientist have already observed the only energy from the center in the direction he mentioned, Usually gets ejected by a super massive black hole at the center of a galaxy.

And offcourse. The time line already isn't correct.
As far as i know Israël did NOT start a war with Iran last year.

So !??

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I do think there are very good reasons to think 2012 is not just a zealot invention.

There are facts that we may check in the world around us:
Lest be clear about 2012

Peace.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Star and flag for your post. There certainly is a lot of hype about the end of the world as we know it, isn't there? I await it with a certain anticipation.

Many are concerned with what may happen. Easy to see why too, with the thousands of theories, coupled with the Nostradamus prophecies and the Biblical Book of Revelation, it is no wonder! Here is Wisdom, for those who wish it:
We, humanity, are the Creators. We create nearly everything in our lives, from start to finish. We live in what we think is reality,but is actually a software program, played for us, and interacting with our own wishes and dreams. There is a time lag, this is why we do not see this happening. Before the Fall, mankind/womankind was Godlike, and made their own reality as they lived. We will soon enter into a nexus of sorts, where thoughts will become material objects and living beings when we think it. This is why a strict training of the mind is necessary right at this time. Fear has no place here, and the reward is an escape from this false reality some of us have come to hate so much. Look at something in the room you are in. Study it closely. that object, no matter what it is, began as a thought in a human being's mind. It was then probably drawn out on paper or parchment, and spoken of with friends and family. Eventually the thing was brought to life by the inventor. No imagine this process speeded up by 10,000%. Get the picture?

2012 is not the end. Will anything happen? Well, I think everything will happen.
And all at the same time, most likely. I'm talking a Rapture, ET Craft in the skies, volcanoes and earthquakes all over, tornadoes and hurricanes pounding the coasts, the wrath of God. That will be the time to gather one's thoughts up into a Sacred Merkaba, and go forth into the Great Wide Open.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I sort of hate to reactivate this thread, but I have to say two things.

First, I am seeing sites with count downs to 2012 appearing now. One even goes as far as to say that it will all end at 11:11 on 21st December 2012. IF you believe that the Mayans 'foretold' this, then you cannot use GMT as the time!

Second: There are numerous opinions as to how, when, why, what etc and I have no intention of commenting on their validity or otherwise. What really concerns me is that those in society who are more impressionable are being manipulated by these 2012 sites for nothing more than financial gain.

I seriously believe that a number of people will take their own lives as a result of what they are being fed by the more unscrupulous sites and some of the seamier side of the media, and if nothing comes of it (as I personally believe is the case) these people will have died for nothing other than the greed of others.

I know it cannot be stopped. It just grieves me that humans can be so greedy and uncaring.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hi all. Has anyone considered that if stuff happens ant the end of 2012 the media sorces might not broadcast it in anyone's countries to keep
people from panicking? Stuff happens now and the news in the USA doesn't
talk about it, our news is definely censured to control us. That meterorite that hit Mexico and made a crater 100 feet wide was never mentioned last month, I would think that would be important news. Why do you think tell all books are so popular?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I think that the world wont end in 2012. Apocalypse dosnt actually mean the end of the world. It means change is coming as in the world is going to CHANGE as we know it, not end. Personally most of my family believes mankind is going to find out something about itself, that its going to have a revelation of something. the bible says that the lord will cometh down from the heavens. perhaps that means aliens created us...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
To the person who said there was no scientific evidence, you need to take another look. Check the weather patterns, we are having wild and wacky weather all over the world, not to mention earthquakes, sunamis, 100 year floods that happen every couple months or so. Also, you may want to check the fact that Nasa has found this planet back in 1983, there were several articles in major papers about it, then it just stopped being reported. Want to see a picture of Nibiru/Planet x/The Destroyer, they are available, information has been leaking out by people who know whats going on and want to warn others. The WISE telescope set up in the South Pole, what do you think it is watching? Planet X is coming up from the South, and TPTB are keeping a close watch on it.

For the people who think the past is not relavent to the future, you need to take another look. The ancients were trying to tell us something, I believe the ancients much more then I believe our government.

TPTB know whats coming, and they have been preparing for it. Why haven't you heard about it......they don't want you to know. They are not going to save you, they will be in their undergound bases that have been created all over the globe. Ever wonder why there is this hugh seedbank that is being stocked even as we speak? My guess is that you haven't even heard about it.

The earth will not end, it will just not be recognizable to the survivors. I am not writing this to scare anyone, but hopefully to wake you up to at least have the chance to prepare because TPTB are not giving that to us.
They cannot save everyone, they are saving themsleves and the people that they deem worthy.

I will direct you to one website, this person has connected all the dots, you can choose to check it out or not. You now have a choice.

the-rabbits-hole.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Algebra

There's nothing new under the Sun, mate! To be forewarned is to be forearmed. These ancient people SAW this stuff, left a record of what happened. As for the new, it's a mere rehash of the old. All you know is based on former acquired knowledge, knowledge of the past. Don't knock the past or you'll get lost in the mist.

mclinking

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join