It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rock star back at university again after 33 gap years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Brian May, the multimillionaire guitarist who founded the rock group Queen, has finally completed the PhD in astrophysics that he abandoned more than 30 years ago.

The 59-year-old composer of hits such as Fat Bottomed Girls and We Will Rock You turned his back on the stars for international fame with Freddie Mercury and his band. His thesis on interplanetary dust clouds lay gathering dust of its own in the attic of his home in Surrey.

May’s interest in the subject was rekindled last year when he co-authored a children’s science book with the astronomer Sir Patrick Moore. He discovered that remarkably little research had been done in the intervening 33 years.

entertainment.timesonline.co.uk... tertainment/music/article2062494.ece

Very cool that he would complete his thesis.

I have much admiration for him now.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
That's quite kewelle, I wouldn't have expected someone in the Rock business to think 'Nah, I want to finish my work'. I'm not exactly a fan but I've got respect for the man after reading that.

Rama D. Filofax on Brian May

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
awesome!

Dr. Brian May, Astrophysicist and Guitar God

and friend of one of my most favorite beloved geniuses...
also a genius, it would seem!

to Dr. May!

and love to Freddy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/66259dbf8a77.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Actually there are quite a few famous people from music and television with educational backing you wouldn't expect. Dexter Holland from The Offspring was a PhD candidate studying Molecular Biology. Greg Gaffin of Bad Religion has a doctorate in Zoology and Tom Morello has a Bachelors in Political Science (not that big a surprise actually).

Other notable stars with paper backing include Dolph Lundgren who holds a Masters in Chemical Engineering, Natalie Portman with a BA in Psychology (also been published a few times in journals), Lisa Kudrow has a B.S. in Biology and my personal favorite Pauley Perrette whom started work on a Masters in Criminal Science when she landed her role on NCIS.

top topics

join