It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to blame for no agreement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Whatever.

If I remember correctly (bear with me - it was a week ago
), the Rich West kept refusing to actually come up with a binding agreement on cutting emisisons, and now they're blaming China?

Just more proof that MMGW/MMCC is a political tool and not an actual problem.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
What disgusts me is that our governments want us to believe that China is to "blame".

China is to thank for resisting this retarded deal based on faulty data, secrecy, power and politics.

[edit on 21-12-2009 by BlubberyConspiracy]

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Oh, that evil China. lol. Remember it used to be that evil GWB, concerning the Kyota Treaty? The treaty that even Clinton didn't sign. Heh. It's okay, BHO will not sign onto this stuff either, unless, maybe.............

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well done china, I guess.

That felt very strange saying something like that, but I truly owe them thanks. They are awakening to business, and they realize what a stranglehold this would have on it.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Seems very much like China and Russia are coming out heros for free people. The world has certainly become very strange.
Was that a rabbit hole I just fell down?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
lol ... go china ... Obama should be ashamed of being a pupet

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
China may have done a good thing in this respect but they still refuse to cut down on emissions. Regardless of any man made Global Warming they will still be contributing to the overall health risks with air pollution.

This Must be stopped. I do not believe this climate treaty with their political agendas was the way to do this but we must cause the entire world to Go Green as it were and do what it takes to make this world a better place.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
First of all, we in California have cleaned up our pollution act. And now we are getting China's pollution, drifting over us. WE are also paying for their garbage. They are supposedly abandoning heavily polluted cities now.
Second, the point of that charade was not GW, but to create a framework for the one world government. And they DID THAT. If I didn't consider them enemies, I would think 'well done, mission accomplished'.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
We should be thanking China IMO, I know they did it because they have an appauling amount of pollution but the climate treaty was never about cutting emmisions thats just a front. It was all about being able to tax the small guy even further.

They say that cars contrabute the biggest to co2 yet when was the last time you heard about how much big industry adds?

Look at any retail park and any shop that is closed is still lit up like it is open thats a massive waste of electricity which could have coem from a coal fired plant.

Theres no excuse for big business to use so much, I have heard its a security concern well its pretty easy to make the lights come on if the alarm goes off.

Simple things like that will save masses of co2 but if it did we could not be taxed 7 ways from sunday.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This is a very interesting read about an insider's (present in the room at the talks) observations on what really happened. I recommend you read this before jumping to conclusions about what was happening...

Link to article: "How do I know China wrecked the Copenhagen Deal? I was in the room" by Mark Lynas, guardian.co.uk Tuesday 22 December 2009 19.54 GMT

Several interesting bits including:

"What I saw was profoundly shocking. The Chinese premier, Wen Jinbao, did not deign to attend the meetings personally, instead sending a second-tier official in the country's foreign ministry to sit opposite Obama himself. The diplomatic snub was obvious and brutal, as was the practical implication: several times during the session, the world's most powerful heads of state were forced to wait around as the Chinese delegate went off to make telephone calls to his "superiors"."

"Shifting the blame

To those who would blame Obama and rich countries in general, know this: it was China's representative who insisted that industrialised country targets, previously agreed as an 80% cut by 2050, be taken out of the deal. "Why can't we even mention our own targets?" demanded a furious Angela Merkel. Australia's prime minister, Kevin Rudd, was annoyed enough to bang his microphone. Brazil's representative too pointed out the illogicality of China's position. Why should rich countries not announce even this unilateral cut? The Chinese delegate said no, and I watched, aghast, as Merkel threw up her hands in despair and conceded the point. Now we know why – because China bet, correctly, that Obama would get the blame for the Copenhagen accord's lack of ambition.

China, backed at times by India, then proceeded to take out all the numbers that mattered. A 2020 peaking year in global emissions, essential to restrain temperatures to 2C, was removed and replaced by woolly language suggesting that emissions should peak "as soon as possible". The long-term target, of global 50% cuts by 2050, was also excised. No one else, perhaps with the exceptions of India and Saudi Arabia, wanted this to happen. I am certain that had the Chinese not been in the room, we would have left Copenhagen with a deal that had environmentalists popping champagne corks popping in every corner of the world."

[edit on 22-12-2009 by curioustype]

[edit on 22-12-2009 by curioustype]

new topics

top topics

join