It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Lost:' Season Six Discussion...

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Tonight should be a good one!

Seems like we'll get some history of the Island!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Short of the finale, two episodes this season were pegged as the biggest in Lost history. The Richard centric episode and tonight's episode. I'd say I was somewhat disappointed with the Richard episode. Hopefully tonight will deliver!

The problem with the Richard episode was that with over 100 years of a story to tell, they decided to focus on what seemed like a couple days when he first arrived. Missed out on so much! Hopefully tonight covers a bit more.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm in total agreement...

I wanted to see:

When Richard first met the Others...how he became their leader...
When others came to the island (and how)...
Some of his initial run-ins with the Dharma Initiative, etc.

My money's on them naming MIB tonight...."Esau"....

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It's almost here! You guys are right, hopefully it will be a lot better than "Ab Aeterno" - that was surely a flop!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Here's a GREAT site for downloading pre-made Dharma labels for all kinds of food, wine, beer, etc.....

maxpictures.com...

Perfect for your Lost party needs. If you Google on "Apollo Candy Bar Wrapper" (images), you'll find a perfectly sized wrapper to print (fits a Hershey bar nicely)...

Yep, I'm just that geeky....

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
While waiting for the new episodes I have been
re-watching as I mentioned before but
I have also found my self reading
Jorge Garcia "Hurley"'s blog
in it from the beginning you can read how
he was going to stop and it turned into
a personal one. but it some what goes back and forth
there are some great pictures there on set

Located here Dispatches from the Island

I have also been reading and listening to the pod casts from him
and beth at Geronimo Jack's Beard most pod casts are made the day of shooting, and last about an hour, then edited so spoilers are taken out, I'm hoping they will put up the unedited after the final show.

It's really neat to hear him talk about the script and things that happened on set. If in when there might be a spoiler they do keep a lid on it until after the rest of the world had seen the episode.

They did give a little hint yesterday for tonights episode to where you see
Kates name ( Austin ) marked out on the cave, which I thought it was marked out in the episode before but what was brought up how it wasn't
marked out in the lighthouse

cave

and lighthouse

either way its fun to listen to and read
while waiting.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
wanted to add that while listening to them last night
there was a good lol moment

Discussing Lock and water
they expected something to happen
like nasty bubbly stuff or something
but gremlins was mentioned
and he was like no they multiply buy water
in which both were like pop pop little locks running around
and one with a stripe ,

sorry just had to add that part.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
OK, just had to say that I enjoyed that episode immensely. Was great to see where those two came from.

and don't go into the light...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder
OK, just had to say that I enjoyed that episode immensely. Was great to see where those two came from.

I didn't like it that much, actually. Are we just accepting that the mom is somehow supernatural or a witch? Kind of weak (especially if it's the former case). The whole light thing was too weird for me (I know it's 'Lost' and all, but this was crazy). Also, I don't think they needed to add in the Season One footage - us fans could have figured that one out for ourselves (if they wanted to make it obvious, but without showing us old footage). Sorry to be hard on this episode.

Oh yeah, I totally called the mom killing the pregnant woman (since I remember MIB saying his mom was crazy).

There are still lots of questions, though, like how does Jacob know about the Lighthouse (or did he make it?) and how does MIB know that killing Jacob will allow him to leave the Island?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

Anything I've read from the people behind the show, don't expect to get all the answers. A lot will remain unanswered and left for speculation on behalf of the viewer.

I thought tonight was great! And I was a critic of the Richard episode. Could it have been better? Yes! But it met my expectations.

Seeing their beginning was great.

So some questions from tonight's episode. Obviously this is a spoiler alert if you haven't yet watched the episode.

a) At the end of the episode, MIB is dead in the cave. We know that his body remains as the skeleton was found by Jack and Kate in the future. Yet we see that body in action in later years when speaking with Jacob. I'm confused on this.

b) I was surprised to see how left in the dark they were when the reigns were handed over to them. Any information that they themselves pass on is based on what? They were told very little from those that handed it over. So maybe we shouldn't expect to see much informed to the next candidate from the current one.

c) Jacob represents good, MIB represents evil. But this wasn't the case from the beginning. He seemed to represent the people, who were supposedly evil by the ramblings of what seems to be a crazy person. (as labeled by MIB) So was he innately evil? Or did he turn evil when Jacob put him into the light?

I like the message that this episode seemed to touch on and that was that Jacob represents what is good and in order to remain good he needed to refrain from coming into contact with humans as that good would only be spoiled.

Lots to think about here.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Also, the drink that Jacob consumed in order to be initiated is what he handed over to MIB in a recent episode that was smashed on a rock.

This seems like it could be a problem. Thoughts?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Disappointed by the episode somewhat... like someone above said, the whole light thing was just a tad too much. Their (fake) mother is obviously meant to be some goddess or something. Here's just some things I found interesting.

* When MIB killed his fake mother she sounds as if she said his name. Thankyou *something*. Rewatch it and tell me what you think, to me it sounds like she said Thankyou Hor.

* We are left with the possibility that the evil life force (black smoke) existed before Jacobs brother was thrown into the lake as it is pretty clear in my opinion, that when their real mother appeared to MIB she was that evil force and pretty much set him on a journey which would eventually set the evil free.

* Was it Gazrok who asked how is it that MIB's body was buried and his corpse is clearly there when we see him appear later? That's very simple. It is the evil life force using Jacob's brothers body to manipulate him, it is the only theory that makes sense. It also explains why there is no brotherly bond between the two in the future, Jacob shows affection towards his brother even up until the time he is 'burying' him, while in the future it is quite obvious from their conversations that Jacob knows it isn't really his brother. This supports the theory in the previous post, the evil life force used their real mothers body to help Jacob's brother get it to escape. This evil life force can only inhibit the dead... Jacob's real mother, Jacob's brother, Christian and finally John Locke. Further, just how the evil life force used Locke's appearance even though his body was clearly dead, it uses Jacob's brothers appearance even though his body is clearly dead. It makes perfect sense, Jacob's brother and the evil life force are NOT one in the same.

Well, that's what I got out of it anyway.

Disappointed overall.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Well said.

I'm honestly surprised to hear the complaints of the light and what this seems to represent. What did we expect? It was said in the episode that a bit of this light exists in all persons and that we carry a bit with us. And it seemed that this was the source of that. Our souls maybe? If this light goes out, it all goes out.

So the island and this light of the island in particular represents life.

I'm surprised that the name Essau wasn't used considering I believe it was used online to indicate who the episode was centric of. I believe I had read in this thread that it was listed it as "Jacob/Essau". They changed it and we had summed it up that it would have possibly confused the viewer. But maybe they changed the direction they intended to take it.

Jacob's brother was conveniently without a name in this episode though.

Maybe we'll still find out what it is.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I've got way more Q's than answers after watching the latest episode....

Will we ever get the answers we desire..........

:bnghd:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

With the light... I think they pulled it out too late. Its like, after 6 whole years of the show there's this magical glowing cave that holds some universal power. It's fine as the story goes, but I don't think they pulled it off right.

As for MIB's name. Personally, I don't think the producers will ever actually reveal it and here's why. His anonymity is important, its symbolic of the passive spiritual possessiveness of the evil life force (smokey). The evil life force inhibits everyone from his fake mother (not confirmed) to John Locke. You can't give something like that a permanent identity. I think the fact that the first persona we as viewers so far have been shown, to have been inhibited by this life force was Jacob's brother, the relationship is there, however temporary. For that reason, and for no other reason can I think of why they won't or have not revealed his name so far. Keep in mind though, his fake mother was never actually shown giving him a name, Jacob never calls him by a name... is it a stretch to conclude that he has no name? I prefer to go with the symbolism of anonymity.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

a) At the end of the episode, MIB is dead in the cave. We know that his body remains as the skeleton was found by Jack and Kate in the future. Yet we see that body in action in later years when speaking with Jacob. I'm confused on this.

MIB is dead. The smoke monster simply chooses to take his form. It's smokey, not Jacob's brother, who has the later conversations with Jacob.

b) I was surprised to see how left in the dark they were when the reigns were handed over to them. Any information that they themselves pass on is based on what? They were told very little from those that handed it over. So maybe we shouldn't expect to see much informed to the next candidate from the current one.

I think that once the reigns are passed, the protector "just knows", kind of how MIB "just knows" things, as the inheritor from the "other" power on the island.

c) Jacob represents good, MIB represents evil. But this wasn't the case from the beginning. He seemed to represent the people, who were supposedly evil by the ramblings of what seems to be a crazy person. (as labeled by MIB) So was he innately evil? Or did he turn evil when Jacob put him into the light?

It's an interesting dilemma... Jacob's brother seemed to basically be a decent person (even killing "mom" is justified, as she killed his real mother).... However, we could look at Smokey's form after this as being Smokey...not Jacob's brother.... I don't think his brother turned, I think Smokey is just using his form.

I like the message that this episode seemed to touch on and that was that Jacob represents what is good and in order to remain good he needed to refrain from coming into contact with humans as that good would only be spoiled.

And yet, he feels there is good in them.

I'm going to have to defend the "light" here. There are many episodes that previously allude to this (even show it)...so it shouldn't have been all that unexpected. The weird part is, it seems at conflict with Jacob's wine bottle/cork analogy....unless we assume the evil and the good are both kind of corked with the island...

As for pseudo-mom having powers, I think this just came with the territory of having the protector job. I think she was honest when she said "her mother before her", etc. It seems they gain the power of not aging, and knowledge of the island, but can only grant other powers to others (such as Jacob's gift to Richard, etc.). It would seem though, that even the protector role isn't absolute "good"...after all, she killed their mother (and in a fairly brutal way).

I agree, we didn't need the season 1 flashback to see it was Adam and Eve....the bag with the rocks would have sufficed. But at least that's one mystery solved.

The second is the kid seen by MIB...who is obviously the dead Jacob appearing as his younger self. Great casting on younger versions of these two, by the way....

I still think someone is on to something with Vincent....that dog was definitely being mimicked by one of the two powers....

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

What about Jacob being a bit of a stooge? Just doing what he's told and not really questioning authority. He did what his mother told him because it was what she told him and because it was easy. It would be easy to say that his brother had much more character.

It's also interesting that the rules that their so-called mother placed on them remained with their bodies. That being when smokey took over his brother's body, he still couldn't do anything to him.

I think their fake mother was also thrown into the light. She knew what it was and spoke of it to Jacob. And look at the destruction she caused to the people on the island. Are we to believe that she did this alone? And also the manner in which the MIB killed her is the same way that our current Losties were told to kill the current smokey.

A lot of dynamics going on in these relationships among those three that have the mind running.

• Current smokey had a lot in common with their mother who presumably was a smokey herself. Yet the mother served to protect while the current one aims to destroy. Why the change?

• It would seem that the smokey isn't innately evil if that is the case because if this is what their mother represented, why would she instill this gift to Jacob?

I don't even think it is about good and evil anymore, even though we are continued to be told it is.

Jacob doesn't represent good and MIB doesn't represent evil.

Jacob represents a love for the island and a desire to protect it. Jacob represents the willingness to do what is necessary to protect this island and serve it. He brought the candidates to the island in order to take over for him. He does what he has to do.

The current MIB is only doing what he needs to do in order to leave the island. He's not necessarily evil, only happens to be doing bad things to satisfy his own needs. It's not the evil that he serves, it is purely a means to an end. He wants off and this is what is necessary for that.

Thoughts?

edit: unless in the grand scheme of things which we may find out next week is that serving the island is good and not serving the island does represent evil.

[edit on 5-12-2010 by chissler]

• posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:24 AM
    link   
    It is a pickle...

I'm wondering if Jacob (like his pseudo-mom) contains both good and evil...but, with a drive to protect the island (and with it, protect the soul energy capped by it...made up of both good and evil)....

So, when Jacob's brother went into the light...the "good" in him, fused with the light, while the "evil" in his soul was "coughed out" in the form of Smokey... His physical body is dead, but part of his soul is in the light, and part in Smokey.

This could explain a lot...such as Smokey's drive to get off the island, and why he'd take the form of who he once was, soon after this. It also explains why Jacob didn't feel too brotherly towards him, and why the mom's "rules" would still apply to Smokey (as he's part of Jacob's brother)...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:31 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Gazrok

One thing that can be agreed upon is that after last night's episode we're left with more than we've ever had to speculate on.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:26 AM
    link   
    My thoughts...

Jacob could not kill his brother because they "can not harm each other"... so his brother took the form of the smoke monster (demon/pure evil/death/whatever you want to call it) BUT IS NOT dead. I believe it is still his brother in there and that is the reason he still wants to leave the island so bad.

I liked the episode... It answered a lot... I'm sure we will have another hour of the 3.5 left finishing thier story... e.g. Building of the statue, temple, and lighthouse. Fixing the donkeywheel maybe giving it a spin? I'm guessing a game made up by Jacob to find a "good/pure" replacement (candidate).

Couldnn't believe it was all about the brothers (was calling most that happend in the show, but I think people who watched from the begining should be able to for the last season)... I was hoping to see Kate get killed last night.

*** One more thing... I believe the F.Mom said if this light went out it would put out the rest of the lights. End of world situation, right? I also have heard that DARMA had predicted the end of the world and was trying to stop it. So if this smoke gets off the island to put out the rest of the lights could that be the end that DARMA predicted and was trying to stop? Sure we'll hear more about DARMA from Chucky Wids.

Just some food for thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join