It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Lost:' Season Six Discussion...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Hmm...just hit on something. I was surfing through some Egyptian mythology stuff, and noticed this:

Horace kept Seth as a prisoner in the Underworld.

Horace build the cabin on the island... We've speculated before that maybe MIB was a prisoner in the cabin.

Thing is, while the cabin was occupied though, the monster seemed to be running loose, so this doesn't wash, but I found it to be an interesting name connection with Lost. Just more of the whole Underworld theme....

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Why did the MIB wait so long to free Richard anyway? Did it take that long to come up with the plan "Your dead and Jacob is the devil, kill him and you'll see your wife again"?? I mean its not even really that creative..

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
What we have yet to ask is where does Jacob & MIB come from? What gave them the power that they have? Just how long have they been on the island? What higher power provided the powers that they currently possess?

All good questions. I can't even begin to answer them. Jacob and MIB must, however, not be the only of their kind, or how could they have a good backstory (unless it just focuses on them messing with people)?

Originally posted by Gazrok
When asked what was in the statue though, Richard replied in Latin...so somewhere in his past, he learned this (assuming this while he was off and on at the island) it seems.

Then again, though, Latin is the language of the Others, so maybe he learned it on the Island. And wasn't it Richard who said that he only left the island X amount of times just to see Locke? I couldn't find anything on Lostpedia about this, so I am not sure about this. Also, we saw Richard recruit Juliet, so I am not sure how true my thought is.

Originally posted by MrAndy
Why did the MIB wait so long to free Richard anyway?

I don't know. I thought that Richard was trapped for way too long!

Originally posted by they see ALL
On the series finale, which is three parts (episodes 16, 17, and 18), the site does not list the centric for the episode in the title of the thread which deals with that episode.

As of now, the series finale being three episodes is not true. See below, but, again, beware of the spoilerly episode title.

Episode 6.16
Title: "What They Died For."
Centric: Possibly multi-centric.

Episode 6.17/6.18 (Series Finale)
Title: "The End."
Centric: Possibly multi-centric.

So, now every episode title and centric are known (except for the possible multi-centric ones, which fans are not sure of yet). Check through this thread if you want to know any of the titles and centrics.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
"What they died for"

Very interesting.

A co-worker of mine is sold on the idea that the island represents a mid-way point between here and hell and that everyone on the island is either dead or hanging in limbo of some sort. I don't particularly buy into that too much and I think that some of Richard's ranting just stems from an emotional rant.

But that episode title makes you wonder.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The producers have already stated it isn't hell, and it isn't purgatory/limbo, in past interviews...

I too think Richard's rant was just that...I think he's snapped (and who could blame him...)

I'm thinking that Jacob's description is probably the closest to the mark.

I think of the Swan station cap as a fissure in Jacob's cork analogy...some evil energy had travelled the fissure, and was trapped there...the Swan builders tapped into it, but were able to cap it, until the event where the plane was crashed....and then later, the button was pushed.

There are probably other such fissures around the island, just as there are more fissures in a cork....but the overall energy is contained by the cork (the island).

When we saw the island sunk, it represented either:
1) the cork removed or
2) the cork beat down even tighter

My guess is the latter, otherwise, the flash sideways world would be much darker...

My guess is still that at the end of all of it, Jack will replace Jacob, MIB will wear the guise of Locke, and they'll both still be on the island (or a similar one) having a similar conversation as Jacob and MIB...while the other Losties merge with their sideways counterparts, but with the full knowledge of the whole ordeal...

Although, the "What they died for" episode is intriguing, unless it's going to be a flashback heavy episode going over each dead Lostie's lessons...I hope not...

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAndy
Why did the MIB wait so long to free Richard anyway? Did it take that long to come up with the plan "Your dead and Jacob is the devil, kill him and you'll see your wife again"?? I mean its not even really that creative..

Maybe he made him wait to make him feel more desperate, and therefore easier to manipulate.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Good point...

And Jacob waited, as he wanted Richard to come to him...not the other way around.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
About 10 minutes left in this week's episode that I'm watching.

As usual, I'll withhold comment until it's aired for everyone.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

There are probably other such fissures around the island, just as there are more fissures in a cork....but the overall energy is contained by the cork (the island).

It looks like you may be right about this, but I am not sure if the energy is naturally evil. Widmore is looking for the other pockets of energy. I first thought that he simply wanted to use this energy to sink the Island in order to kill MIB, but now that we have seen his secret weapon (Desmond), I think he wants to make Desmond time travel (even though time travel is supposedly dead).

When we saw the island sunk, it represented either:
1) the cork removed or
2) the cork beat down even tighter

My guess is the latter, otherwise, the flash sideways world would be much darker...

The sunken Island could be due to the MIB, or even my probably false theory of Widmore sinking the Island to save the world.

Although, the "What they died for" episode is intriguing, unless it's going to be a flashback heavy episode going over each dead Lostie's lessons...I hope not...

I really wish that I did not read this episode title. It is probably a huge spoiler. The Losties, it appears, will die for a greater good, which is probably the destruction of MIB.

And Jacob waited, as he wanted Richard to come to him...not the other way around.

Good observation. Evil comes to people, while people must search for good (even, in the case of Richard, if they want to unknowingly destroy it).

About 10 minutes left in this week's episode that I'm watching.

Are you in a different time zone from the East Coast? You are lucky! How are you able to watch episodes earlier than everyone else?

I thought this episode was okay. I am not a fan of Jin/Sun. I completely forgot that Sayid saves Jin, and I even thought, for a second, that Keamy was actually alive, but I figured out that this was not the case (before Keamy told the other guy to get Sayid).

As always, there were differences in this new timeline, like Jin/Sun not being married. Did you guys catch how Mikhail, in the new timeline, got shot in his eye, which mirrors how he had a patch on his eye in the original timeline? I am starting to think that this mirroring is just for kicks!

The ending definitely made up for the episode. Desmond is going to play a huge role, but how? If time travel is done with, how can he save the day? Maybe he will go to the other timeline. There are some interesting tidbits about this episode on Lostpedia, such as this episode being the first time in Season 6 where all of the main characters appear in an episode, and this episode being the first episode since "Through the Looking Glass, Part 2" where all of the credited main characters appear on the Island.

How interesting! We are truly in epic times now, especially considering the latter tidbit. All the players in Jacob's game are on the Island. I am happy to see that Widmore is a "good guy," that is, he is on Jacob's side. I guess we can assume, by the way, that MIB really represents evil. What a shame, I was interested in a role reversal.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Did I miss them explain what Widmore wanted with Jin?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
So is Jin a candidate, indicated by Widmore taking him? MIB needs to get all the candidates off the island and by Widmore securing him, he prevents this. Or is it that Sun is the candidate and MIB knows that Sun won't go without him. I'm thinking the latter.

Sun not being able to speak English, is this the start of the flashes beginning to mesh? Sun has said "no English" in those sideways, and it was thought she was lying, but maybe in this altered line she can't. And now that she can't on the island, the MIB has somehow crossed some lines between the two?

The Desmond episode is gonna be good.

Typing on my phone, so apologies for any spelling mistakes.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Ha ha...Yep, I called that it was going to be Desmond in the locked room! My wife was like how did you know?

posted on 3/24...

Not sure, my money is still on desmond being behind that locked door in the sub...

I think Sun is the candidate, and Jin is simply the needed piece to get Sun on your side.

I was surprised to see the multiple energy source thing pan out though...I really expected that to be left as a guess...nice of Widmore to confirm it though...

Don't feel bad about the Keamy thing...my wife completely forgot about it too... It was funny, as soon as I mentioned the Russian being on the island, the one with the missing eye...BLAM, he gets it in the eye!

Next week's episode looks to be interesting...

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I wanted to say last night when I first realized it was Desmond that "you're good Gaz!". But I thought it could potentially spoil it so I held off. But I immediately thought of you calling it.

Well done!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Thanks..

but I am not sure if the energy is naturally evil.

I think it's more of the "effect" of the evil escaping from beyond the "cork"...like smoke is an effect of a fire. I don't think the electromagnetic energy itself is evil, just an effect of it seeping through the cork....

At least we know the defense pylons work against MIB in all his forms. (or at least it's implied)...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Are we even certain of which side represents evil? While watching episodes, I feel the lines have been blurred to where we don't know at the moment.

Am I missing anything?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
A valid question...

But, I think we have to assume Jacob's side is good. After all, Jacob hasn't killed people (directly)...but MIB has. Also, our main protagonist is on this side (Jack).

So far, evil, murder, sickness, etc., have all been tied to MIB...

I think that Jacob's little analogy was actually a MAJOR plot point in explaining the key mystery of what the island really is...(i.e. a stopgap, to keep more evil from flowing into the world)....

My thinking is that Desmond is the key to a "permanent" solution in place of the stopgap, or at least a "reset" back to the balance that was there when it was just Jacob and MIB...

I'm betting on the plane being blown up next week....(with some main characters in the blast zone, as a cliffhanger).....

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Desmond was the one operating the Swan when 815 went down.

Now is Desmond relevant to the story because of his position at the Swan, or was he relevant prior and this is why he had that position? All along Desmond's character was relevant strictly because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time when the plane went down. But maybe there is a reason that he was put in that position and his involvement extends much deeper. I'm sure one way or another we'll know soon enough, but I'm thinking that his role goes deeper than what we have been told all along.

Otherwise, why is he any more relevant than any other member of the Dharma initiative?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I think it has to do more with his displacement in time, and will come back to the fact that he found his "constant" allowing him to travel through time without the ill effects experienced by our Losties before...

If you recall, even off the island, he had dreams of things happening in alternate timelines. Somehow, he's the unifying element. How Widmore found this out...I'm guessing is through Ellie of course.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

So is Jin a candidate, indicated by Widmore taking him? MIB needs to get all the candidates off the island and by Widmore securing him, he prevents this.

If this is the case, Widmore should have just took Jin off the Island right then and there!

Or is it that Sun is the candidate and MIB knows that Sun won't go without him. I'm thinking the latter.

Yup.

Sun not being able to speak English, is this the start of the flashes beginning to mesh?

That's what I was thinking. I don't think, however, that MIB did this.

I think it's more of the "effect" of the evil escaping from beyond the "cork"...like smoke is an effect of a fire. I don't think the electromagnetic energy itself is evil, just an effect of it seeping through the cork....

True. Even before we knew about MIB, the effect of the energy leaving was always negative. Desmond had to push the button or the world would end, DHARMA had to be careful when drilling, and ect.

At least we know the defense pylons work against MIB in all his forms. (or at least it's implied)...

I think the pylons do work, or MIB would have just killed all of those on Hydra Island.

Are we even certain of which side represents evil?

I think, at this point in the game, we have to assume that Jacob is good and MIB is evil. Otherwise, there would not be the suspense of the wrong side winning. Plus, Jacob, if we assume him to be good, was always misused for evil. Ben, for example, uses the name of Jacob for his own ends. You can misuse good, but you can't misuse evil, right? Thus, I think Jacob is good.

But, I think we have to assume Jacob's side is good. After all, Jacob hasn't killed people (directly)...but MIB has. Also, our main protagonist is on this side (Jack).

So far, evil, murder, sickness, etc., have all been tied to MIB...

Good points.

My thinking is that Desmond is the key to a "permanent" solution in place of the stopgap, or at least a "reset" back to the balance that was there when it was just Jacob and MIB...

Have any ideas on how he can do this?

I'm betting on the plane being blown up next week....(with some main characters in the blast zone, as a cliffhanger).....

This will piss of a lot of Losties! It will also make them realize that their destiny is to stay on the Island at least until the Jacob/MIB plot is resolved.

Otherwise, why is he any more relevant than any other member of the Dharma initiative?

It seems that Desmond just washed up on the Island by chance, so maybe he was not important up until his time travel.

If you recall, even off the island, he had dreams of things happening in alternate timelines.

I don't think it was alternate timelines, do you? If I recall correctly, he just dreamed up things that already occurred in the past, such as the Losties being in DHARMA.

How crazy was it that Sayid is being zombiefied!? He doesn't feel anything, he says, and MIB says that this could be a good thing because of what's to come!

Here is the trailer for the next episode. Does it show any new footage? The only new thing might be the audio of Widmore saying that, presumably, Desmond must be a sacrifice since the Island isn't done with him yet. Will the title of the episode - "Happily Ever After" - be ironic? That is, will events turn tragic in the original timeline? Or does it just mean that, in the new timeline, Des will be happy?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Have any ideas on how he can do this?

Not really...other than it may involve some kind of time travel where Desmond takes MIB with him, something of that nature... Whatever it is, my money's on Desmond also losing his life in the struggle.

What's everyone's guesses for the endgame situation?

I'm thinking:

Jack becomes the new Jacob (with MIB, or his successor, taking the form of Locke once again)

Sawyer and Kate get together, and off the island.

Jin and Sun get together, and off the island.

Hurley becomes the new Richard for Jack.

Ben gets off the island.

Widmore and Desmond both bite it. (along with his crew)

Any other Losties or Others bite it. (including Claire and Sayid) Sayid may live, but I doubt it....

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join