It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 for Dummies?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
It is up to the discerning reader to tell the difference.

Yeah this line here makes the rest of your spew about how I was supposedly mis-characterizing your reasoning meaningless.

"It is up to the discerning reader" (you, right?) to then proclaim so-and-so is only writing a book/documentary for a quick buck, and the determining factor is no doubt whether or not you like what they're saying. You prove my point perfectly. The truth is that you can't judge the value of any book based simply on the fact that it costs something. Period. You have to have a better reasoning than that. And it would be next to impossible to actually be able to prove someone's intentions. You would only be able to offer speculation as fact. Just for future reference, right? Same for a documentary. Every time I see someone use that lame excuse against a book or documentary they don't like ("Oh they're just in it for the money; case closed"), I don't even know what to think. You said it yourself, OF COURSE money is involved with selling books. Books don't grow on trees. Same with most documentaries, and people selling them on DVD. The time and effort to produce something of some quality can be significant, not to mention putting it on a physical DVD for you as well, that someone had to pay for.

Basically my point is, you should never argue that something is trash just because they're asking money for you to read or watch it. You need reasons beyond the mere fact that someone is charging for it, something specific to the content itself, and it would STILL be almost impossible to prove the authors' intentions. It's just an excuse. That's my one and only point. And I only make it because I find it extremely ironic that you're peddling History Channel DVDs yet are simultaneously telling me that yes, you do dismiss a lot of stuff just because you think someone is only trying to make a buck from it. And even if you wouldn't say that then I've seen plenty of others on this forum say that exact thing. Further down the road I really doubt you will make the simple distinction I am pointing out between raising issues about content versus raising an issue with the mere fact of charging some fee, because you probably don't want to read THIS, either. But I'll wager to waste my time anyway I guess since you wanted to continue defending yourself of course. Too bad I'm not charging a fee to give you a convenient excuse, huh?

So in the future someone might say, "Check out 'Crossing the Rubicon' by Mike Ruppert, it's a great book, costs $15" for example.

The garbage reply is "Ohhh he's just trying to make money off you suckers."

I've seen countless people make similar claims for years, and honestly you were probably amongst them, and you don't deny you think that is the sole reason some people publish. Mike Ruppert is a former LAPD investigator who first tried to expose government drug-running operations, then the insider connections with 9/11, and he left the country after saying he had received numerous death threats to both him and his family. He has some video presentations on Google video too, from actual conferences he held shortly after 9/11. Now go ahead and tell me he's just trying to make a quick buck without even reading or watching anything. Or go watch a minute or two and come back and say you watched him and you do think that's what's up. It's a beautiful excuse, really. You don't have to give an actual good reason to doubt someone. Just point out the fact that they're selling a book. Bingo. Instant dismissal. Except when they're selling something you already agree with, then it doesn't matter if they're selling it, you have to make back money somehow.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by bsbray11]

new topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join