It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stolen West Seattle totem pole found in Oregon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Stolen West Seattle totem pole found in Oregon

seattletimes.nwsource.com

An 18-foot totem pole stolen from a West Seattle park early last week has been found in Oregon.

A 69-year-old West Seattle man, who was arrested Wednesday night in connection with the theft, led investigators to the pole, in Keizer, Ore., just outside of Salem.

The suspect apparently had a crew with a crane help remove the pole, but it's not clear if the workers knew the man did not have permission to take the local landmark, police said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
westseattleblog.com
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is becoming a very intriguing story in the Seattle area with Northwest being home to many tribes of Americas first people. As more facts are released you will see this unravel into a story of stolen Native American Artifacts. Not only did the police actually direct traffic while this atrocity was being committed, but apparently the man had taken out permits with the city to remove the historic piece of Native American heritage. What is even more intriguing is that when the location of the pole was given to investigators, and stashed 200 miles away in Oregon, another Totem pole believed to have been stolen from the Duwamish tribe in Renton was discovered sitting beside it on the boat trailer.

I think this person is going to be burned at the stake, JMO. The audacity of the rich and powerful never fails to astound me.

seattletimes.nwsource.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
That wa prety low to do that. Niec to know general custard, the racist he was is still around these days

Why someone would wanna steal a totem pole is beyond me...thats just WEIRD

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
well the speculating theories are ranging from selling illegal artifacts for profit, to the suspect just being an eccentric elitist. I am surprised the there hasn't been a huge outcry from the Tribes all across America. Not to mention how insensitive the Seattle Police looks for allowing it to happen with their help. Pretty pathetic. I am betting this guy could have afforded to just have them made, but I guess that would take all the thrill out of it. The only way these illegal trades can exists is because of people like this. Whether it was for profit or posterity, I guess is irrelevant. This is a major crime against an entire nation of people and the MSM is no where to be found. I would rather hear the outcome of this then have to hear Tiger Woods every day!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well, it sure sounds like the M.O. is monetary gain selling Antiquities to the highest Pan-Asian bidder.

That's pretty low though (although in all fairness, it sounds like it wasn't taken off of Sacred Native American ground, nor was it an Sacred Native American relic, but was an Art piece that was commissioned by the Rotary Club and erected on Park Service land) and the guy shows some big ones actually filing the proper paperwork with the City to remove them, even though he didn't have any right to them.

My biggest question, especially since he filed the permits, is how did he think he would get away with it? His name was on the paper-trail!

This is a very weird story.

Glad to know that the West Seattle Rotary will be getting their Totem Pole back...however, now comes the mystery of trying to figure out whom the second one belongs to!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Just a little history about how the Totem pole found it's home in West Seattle.
Found this on the 'rotary' website.

"Dominating the park is an eighteen foot totem pole, carved by Robin Young, a Northwest Indian. The totem pole symbolizes the early history of Puget Sound Indians. Symbols include the "Thunderbird", the "Whale", the "Beaver", and the "Raven"."

www.westseattlerotary.org...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jnewell33

Wait a minute wait wait wait.......

This is a Native American totem pole? I am not so sure...

The pole did NOT belong to a tribe, it belonged to the Rotary Club

"The Rotarians were up in arms," said Rotary President Amy Lee Derenthal. "Some of our members were very passionate about our totem pole."

The pole, which features a large bird with spread wings near the top, is considered a symbol of the West Seattle Rotary Club and is featured on its marketing material and shirts.

Ya, I agree we treat Native American artifacts with little respect .. we cannot simply see something "Tribal" and suddenly give it claims to Native peoples.. in this case, it seems to be a Rotary totem pole. It's not old, so it's not considered an Artifact, and it was commissioned by the Rotary Club, carved by a Native American, so it's not considered Tribal .. thus the worst laws broken are void (stealing Native artifacts without permits the guy would have lost his house, car, fined out the wazoo and spent time in jail) .. It has absolutely 0 historical significance aside from it being a local landmark.

Not saying his stealing the pole is not bad.. it's retarded.. hope he gets punished.. I just don't see why it should get blown out of proportion.

PS .. the comments on the news site are hilarious .. who knew there were so many "Pole" jokes.

[edit on 12/22/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Regarding the "mysterious" second totem pole that was confirmed to have been stolen from Renton.
"The totem pole was made in honor of Henry Moses, the last hereditary chief of the Duwamish tribe.

Moses played on Renton High School's basketball team as the lone Native American in the early 1900s. Attempting to harass the team, opponents started calling them indians, Ploegman said."

www.pnwlocalnews.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Both of the totem poles found were created by Native Americans and donated by Native Americans. If you think the gravity of the crimes should change because they are not significant to you, or you feel they are not authentic. I am glad you could come and debunk this story but the suspects name will be released within the next day or so and many people will be up in arms. I guess I just see the fact there is now a pattern established, certainly the conspiracy to steal them because they are authentic pieces of Native American artwork. Just because the suspect didn't take it off the reservation, or the age of the piece are insignificant to the story. It's not like the totem poles came from Wal-Mart, they both had meaning that is important to an entire heritage of people and some guy comes and just takes it, why not I guess. He took them because they were Native American Totem poles, that fact alone leaves little room for moral justification.

new topics

top topics

join