It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligence Quotients

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
IQ stands for Idiot Question.

The question is... "Where will we place you within societies heiarchy, and what will you be useful for to contribute to the collective". ($$$$$$$)

Intelligence Quotient has nothing to do with intelligence.

I'm still amazed humans have not totally destroyed one another...yet that is

Must be some kind of divine grace from a supernatural being.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
People confuse intelligence with being "smart." There is a difference. There are many "smart" people here, but that doesn't equate to having a great super-"genius" IQ.

Being "smart" is an acquired trait. Having a high IQ is not.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Very well put. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

You're welcome.Of course, there is no offense taken by your thread. It is a commonly asked question. IQ, though very controversial, is important.

Your IQ is based upon a comparison with your peers. Say, you're 25 and you have an IQ of 95. What that really means is that your IQ is 95% of what it should be at 25 years of age. That is really all an IQ test measures.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
IQ stands for Idiot Question.

The question is... "Where will we place you within societies heiarchy, and what will you be useful for to contribute to the collective". ($$$$$$$)

Intelligence Quotient has nothing to do with intelligence.

I'm still amazed humans have not totally destroyed one another...yet that is

Must be some kind of divine grace from a supernatural being.

Your a little bitter for me... just making a light hearted post and your quote was deeper than I wanted to go. The question was "do you think ATSer's are smarter than the average joe"?

Thank you for proving that truth by the depth of your quoted remarks.

Kind of hard to be pissed and admired at the same time, huh?

[edit on 21-12-2009 by brilab45]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The few people I've met that boasted high IQ's (140+ range), I simply did not like. They were really superficial and narcissistic. This also seems to be a trait for most people with really high IQ's. Most of the sickest and evilest individuals we've come to know in humanity were noted of having "superior intellect" or a high IQ. That is my personal opinion of course, not a stated fact, but I wouldn't be hard pressed to find those who would agree. (No, I'm not channeling Pol Pot here.. )

If someone doesn't have the wisdom to support their intelligence, then they are mostly useless like the rest of us. Unless they find a medium to apply themselves to, of course. Savants, to me, are similar to those with really high IQs, in that I believe they are almost "disabled", because they start to lose a little of everything else when they continually increase their intellect. (the traditional Nutty Professor and Wise Farmer adage..)

[edit on 22-12-2009 by SyphonX]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I think IQ tests are used to measure how good we will cope and adapt with the system we have created for our selves.

Because we have created a system of function and understanding. Its called education.

A lot of people can study and learn the right answers and score good on a IQ test. But wont understand what their answerer means or IS.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
The few people I've met that boasted high IQ's (140+ range), I simply did not like. They were really superficial and narcissistic. This also seems to be a trait for most people with really high IQ's. Most of the sickest and evilest individuals we've come to know in humanity were noted of having "superior intellect" or a high IQ.

Well, that's common. Most people who are labeled "mentally ill" are very intelligent. As a matter of fact, that tends to be a contributing factor to their "madness."

[edit on 22-12-2009 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I was tested when I was 16 , which was 14 years ago ,it was 115.

Smart enough to get through life, and dumb enough to enjoy it.

Reading threads and posts on ATS I'm sure has risen it a couple points since then I'm sure. Yes I believe ATS makes you smarter in general.

By peoples posts and threads it is sometimes simple to tell the IQ's and sometimes it is not so simple. Educated and non educated can have the same IQ.

I believe IQ is somewhat taboo these days. If people are supposed to be equal, it brings out a sort of arrogance comparing the number in social settings.

If I were to guess what the average score of ATS I would have to say 100. Which is the average in society as a whole.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
i love this site, but there is something i hate about it too. it`s a bla bla rhetoric heavily laden with big words in an attempt to present one simple idea that could be summed up in 5 words precisely. on top of which that very idea is straight from likes of Captain Obvious. absolutely hate sifting thru that types of pseudo intelligent novels to get to the simple f*cking point. the same people posses very condescending tone too. especially love talking about today`s youth`s stupidity. i think IQ tests were developed by such people.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
The few people I've met that boasted high IQ's (140+ range), I simply did not like. They were really superficial and narcissistic. This also seems to be a trait for most people with really high IQ's. Most of the sickest and evilest individuals we've come to know in humanity were noted of having "superior intellect" or a high IQ. That is my personal opinion of course, not a stated fact, but I wouldn't be hard pressed to find those who would agree. (No, I'm not channeling Pol Pot here.. )

My IQ was tested to be within the 170s, but it's not something I ever boast about, especially since I have nothing to show for it...

[edit on 22-12-2009 by DJM8507]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
For those who have contributed to this post that admit they have an high I.Q., I am encouraged by your sense of humbleness and comedic view on the subject. Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel more human (even though my I.Q. is inferior to many here).

Even more so, the people here that share their wisdom and light on the subject without being pretentious is supportive and shows your true humanity.

Edited for spelling errors. Damn low I.Q!

[edit on 23-12-2009 by brilab45]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507

My IQ was tested to be within the 170s, but it's not something I ever boast about, especially since I have nothing to show for it...

[edit on 22-12-2009 by DJM8507]

Kinda sucks, doesn't it? Sometimes I think about where I went wrong despite all my attempts otherwise. Perhaps I am really an idiot, and just don't 'get' things like others do.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
ahhh something I can speak to intelligently...pun

First things first let's set some ground rules....good things to live by

1. Online IQ tests are a waste...they leave many factors out and they are for entertainment. It's like taking Tae Bo and calling yourself a Wushu expert

2. Many agree that IQ tests calculate
a. the ability to recognize patterns
b. the ability to cope in standard, conventional environments

Long story short I wouldn't put a ton of faith in them

3. You have to factor in which test you took. (WISC-IV, WAIS-III. Stanford Binet, WPPSI or the KBIT-DAS)

Each test has differences in scoring yet the common mistake people will make is to compare a Stanford Binet scale with another type of intelligence scale.

With that said...during my younger years I scored 136....know what I found out? I am no better, no smarter or no more capable than anyone else

PS...a common side effect of high IQ's is social disorder...

My final word? don't put so much stock in it. Those who scored higher than me are no better than I am and those who scored lower than me are no worse. Also a final consideration is the type of quotient you are measuring. IQ tests only measure one type. There is still emotional quotients, social quotients and concrete reasoning. I still to this day do not know why we place so much power into this silly number

-Kyo

[edit on 23-12-2009 by KyoZero]

[edit on 23-12-2009 by KyoZero]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

i have taken numerous tests, all the way from Mensa and that type to less authoritative sources. overall, both the tests and my results were consistent.

the highest i ever got was 139
and the lowest ones around 128 or so

i've been told i was a genius often enough to allow myself to admit i might very well be
but i also must confess i am more of a dreamer and my *doing* always seems to me to be *puttering*
a useless genius, that's me

so industriousness is just as valuable as genius, the way i see it
so i got a boyfriend who is the epitome of industriousness - he makes work look good even to people like me!

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
As long as you have an average you will have people above and below the average level. And the amount of people above and below the average will normally turn out to be the same.

This is not necessarily true, you're mistaking the average and the median.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Only 25% of the population has an above average I.Q. Come on!!!! There has to be some average and below folks here. Seems that everyone has an eight inch penis and a high I.Q. on the internet. Well, that just cannot be true.

I don't know, because every girlfriend I've ever had, has had at least one boyfriend in their past that possessed both of those. They were often wealthy as well. It's enough to piss a person off.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Well....sorry for your perceived misfortune. LOL I'm sure your a good guy. Just bad luck. Sorry to hear that. Plenty of fish in the sea they say. Keep checking your fishing line in case the lure fell off. See, its people like you that make me think "yea...there are descent people in the world." Good luck to you.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by brilab45]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I wanted to just say thank you, but two words are deemed to short of a post by ATS. I understand why that it is, but in this case what can I say other than "thank you" ? So, thank you.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircow
I wanted to just say thank you, but two words are deemed to short of a post by ATS. I understand why that it is, but in this case what can I say other than "thank you" ? So, thank you.

You are welcome! Likewise, I can't post a one liner. You are welcome! Your boat will come in. Just have to wait for the universe to provide your needs. And be wary of anyone stuck in their last relationship. Big Flag to run like hell to the hills!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join