It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priest outrages police by telling congregation: "My advice to the poor is to shoplift

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
In the late 80s, I lived out of supermarket bins. Trouble was, in most places if they found out, they'd burst the packaging & poor a.bleach all over the food.
Edit to add that this was in the UK.

[edit on 23/12/09 by Bunken Drum]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Really? I know a couple that get bags of perfectly good every month or couple of months. They are not really poor ie they could probably get by without it, they have been doing it for years now though and it's somewhat of a routine for them and also the people that work there. They sort everything out for them and have it bagged for when they arrive. Im guessing it just depends on the attitude of the manager and workers. Alot of people have a snobby,elitist attitude towards it though, and this is in the UK.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

You are joking?

Omg that is disgusting.

Anything to stop homless people, trying to get something to eat.

Can you state which supermarkets?

If so, I want to fire off a email to them, and ask them why they chuck out all this food, while there is people starving in the UK.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Well this was back in the late 80s, but as I remember, Safeway & Asda were the worst culprits, but by no means alone. I was homeless. I suspect that, even tho I was always careful not to make a mess, for fear of discovery more than out of fastidiousness, they probably didn't want scruffy oiks going through their rubbish.
Something I heard recently tho, from a bloke I occasionally employ for a day, is that a lot of clothes shops cut up the stuff they cant get rid of in sales, before throwing away. That's a f# scandal too. Especially when you consider the sweatshops the stuff was made in.
On a plus note, in Bristol, there was a scheme where bakers used to donate whatever was left at the end of a day to a homeless charity. Not a big 1 & you didn't have to answer questions or be properly meek to get help: just turn up; 1st come, 1st served. Tellin yer, doughnuts are good news in winter! High calorie & no fuss.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join