It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priest outrages police by telling congregation: "My advice to the poor is to shoplift

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I will rebut you with another quote: Link

Your heart is in the right place IMO, even if you probably wasted your time. I'm confident people like this know that it means to murder, but take swipes at scripture at every opportunity, legit or not.

OP:

Well I don't know what to think about this. I know if I were destitute and had a family I would most definately turn to a life of crime. Whatever it takes to sustain them and myself, I would do.

And I wouldn;t judge you harshly. Not at all.

It's one thing to be in comfort and tell everyone what you would do in X situation, and quite another to have family members starving and you trying to feed them.

But it should be a last resort.

There's more than one way to get food honestly.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
So, would it be wrong of the police to "profile" this particular congregation? They might just catch a few thieves.

Also, what's this moron spending the congregation's tithes on? Of course the money won't go to buy the congregation the items he is encouraging them to steal.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Stealing is wrong. Period. From rich people and poor people it's wrong. Religeon is no excuse to break the law and if more people knew that, and acted like that, religeon would not be experiencing the wrath of so many.

If these people were truly religious, they would have faith that God provides to those in need. I'm quite certain that if the church set-up a list of families that were in need of supplies -- food, clothing, Christmas tree, whatever -- that people within their community -- and across the country -- would help.

People can be overwhelmingly generous when given the opportunity. But I can guarantee you that should looting begin, any generosity will vanish. I certainly will not help a thief and I'm pretty sure others wouldn't either.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
nothing wrong with helping the poor, would those rich companies miss such a little loss, nope would it help the poor 100 times more yes.

Steal from the rich to give to the poor nice story of robin hood comes to mind

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'd just like to ask, how many christians who are against this had the movie Robin Hood in their collection?
I owned that movie and the story within seems to fit quite well with today's conditions.
C'mon, the whole idea of robin hood is morally bankrupt? I just can't wrap my head around that.

to above poster: EXACTLY!!

[edit on 21-12-2009 by heyo]

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001
nothing wrong with helping the poor, would those rich companies miss such a little loss, nope would it help the poor 100 times more yes.

Stealing is wrong. PERIOD

What about the rich that ALREADY give PLENTY to the poor...how does one distinguish those from the GREEDY rich? Or do you think that the poor should keep taking from the rich until the poor are the new rich.

I agree with the poster above...if the needy get put on a list and state their needs, then there are enough charitable folks to make sure the poor have their necessities.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

So in other words, he used a net.

God didn't give him that net. he made it himself. Nor did god give him the fish - he caught the carp because carp live at the bottom, where he trawled his net.

The saying is, "god helps those who help themselves," but the truth is, if you're already helping yourself, god doesn't figure in. At best, he's just sitting back watching you do stuff.

So what you're doing here is you're taking a fellow's ability to use a net to catch fish - this amazing technology has been with us since at least the mesolithic - and you're assigning that to him praying to god. Namely, your god. Why? Well, presumably because it makes you feel better to think about.

But in reality, prayer has nothing to do with it. he's a dude with a net who caught fish, just like lots of other dudes with nets who pray to your god, to other gods, to no gods, to their wives, or who don't even bother praying and just share ribald jokes about Alaskan women with each other.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Of course, one has to assume that all the wealthy got that way by 100% honest means, and that all the wealth they accumulated came from other people who were 100% honest, and so down the line.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much never the case. The majority of wealth is the result of plunder, fraud, abuse, and all sorts of other nasty little conditions. To be sure there's a fair amount that's honestly generated - this tends to be snapped up by the cons and white-collar crooks and the financial pirates just as soon as it's made, though.

it's only theft when it's poor people doing it.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Has anyone ever worked in grocery? I'm sure most of us have. Well, I stocked shelves for Canada's biggest corporation, the Great Canadian Superstore, and the amount of waste is absolutely mind-boggling. Anything dented, spilled on, cracked, Cut while opening, would be thrown out.
There were copious amounts of food thrown out daily. Enough to feed a lot of families. I remember my feelings of disgust more than I remember the exact amount. It was not like this in the small-town grocery chainstore I grew up in!
Edible food is to be thrown away and not eaten. Period. You are under surveillance as well, so don't even think about it.
Now THAT is a perfect example of corporate greed.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I agree. Corporatism could also be defined as regulated theft.
two.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Of course, one has to assume that all the wealthy got that way by 100% honest means, and that all the wealth they accumulated came from other people who were 100% honest, and so down the line.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much never the case. The majority of wealth is the result of plunder, fraud, abuse, and all sorts of other nasty little conditions. To be sure there's a fair amount that's honestly generated - this tends to be snapped up by the cons and white-collar crooks and the financial pirates just as soon as it's made, though.

it's only theft when it's poor people doing it.

So, lets right a wrong with another wrong...blindly assuming who got rich through disingenuous means.

Wouldn't it be easier to tell the congregation to keep their 10% tithes?

We won't be hearing that...the preacher gotta make his paper

last time I checked...the christian faith didn't require a deposit at the pearly gates!

link   
Yeah extralien that too...jesus entered the local amrket and saw that evryone was partying outta control, he saw this was arrogence...seem famliar? look at today! Remember that rich guy, few years ago, bught a $400 was it? umbrella holder? Bernie madoff spent $220 , maybe a little more , for winter mitts for his nieces when he was arrested. GEesh, i have an umbrella holder, every house has one...the bathtub! and mitts, usulay arnt priced over $6. Remember back in 94/94? all over the news, the governmnet spent $00 on a hammer.....yes hammer, one you can get at local hardware store, just as good, for $12 or less. Wish jesus was around to flip some wall street and pentagon tables over, leaving them al in with an ooo and ahhh on thier faces...
god knows those trying to survive, anrt stealing outright maliscously..remember, everything happens for a reason..who knows, maybe by you stealing from criminal disciniplary corporations ARE in fact, carrying out gods work
That what i like to think..i mean afterall, to me, reading the accounts of te bible, and things that happen, it required a human* to do it all, with the exeption of genisis, the creation of course, and the making of man* get my drift? ddint god say destroy my enemys? i keep thinking he said something along those lines.... well thiers your answer
steal from the corporations to get the message going..
someones gotta let em know theyde be NOTHING if we werent left having to buy thier cancerous prodcuts.

link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by thecrow001

Stealing is wrong. PERIOD

What about the rich that ALREADY give PLENTY to the poor...how does one distinguish those from the GREEDY rich? Or do you think that the poor should keep taking from the rich until the poor are the new rich.

I agree with the poster above...if the needy get put on a list and state their needs, then there are enough charitable folks to make sure the poor have their necessities.

i understand what you mean but i am talkaing mostly about the super rich, for the rich that already give its not fair on them but everyone can do abit more, but when the rich control this world they make it that much harder to help everyone.

the poor should take what they can until they live happily, if they are happy they wont want to steal however if they go to far then wont the new poor just steal from them.

its all good in moderation.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is just a smaller scale of all the other religous battles that have happened
Just one big radio sport forum, i don't get any of it..
They said this he meant that! If i was god and I am

I wouldn't have peoples fighting over confusion...

Carry on

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by weedev

This isn't just a religious battle. You don't have to be religious to understand the moral dilemna.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
$400 on a hammer* typo thier sorry all...
However, i work in retail. When you think about it, suppose you steal from a store considered a corporation aka CVS pharmacy. Persoanly ide never use thier products anyway, as thier probably outsourced to china or of lesser quality. LEts say you steel gillette or schick razos, yeah it hurts the store, but..it also hurts those parent companys, who simpy market a product. Example, gillette is way less harmless than lets say, all the chemicals in pantene shampoo, or most skin creams. ide rather steel the shampoos n skin creams. yeah thier loaded with chemicaasl, but hey gotta survive, gotta do what you gotta do...

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
1 good thing about the LDS faith or mormons, is that they are pretty much prepared for the end! if your family needs food or clothing you meet with the bishop, and he makes sure you are not wasting money on huge cable/internet bills etc, then gives you a pass to go to the food kitchen, and pick up groceries! It really is an awesome program. you may have to do some work at one of their sites ..ie.. the cannery or the pasta factory, but then you are earning what you get, and helping others too! really awesome program all the way around...I think the whole U.S. should be set up like that. always preparing for the worst, its better than food stamps IMO.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Fair point on the tithing. Let the padre lead by example.

In case you haven't noticed, most solutions to anything are "wrong" on some level. This is because life is complicated and imperfect. Absolutism doesn't really work.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Agreed but You gota see how it kicks off?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKARonco
1 good thing about the LDS faith or mormons, is that they are pretty much prepared for the end! if your family needs food or clothing you meet with the bishop, and he makes sure you are not wasting money on huge cable/internet bills etc, then gives you a pass to go to the food kitchen, and pick up groceries! It really is an awesome program. you may have to do some work at one of their sites ..ie.. the cannery or the pasta factory, but then you are earning what you get, and helping others too! really awesome program all the way around...I think the whole U.S. should be set up like that. always preparing for the worst, its better than food stamps IMO.

I suppose that is a good thing...but I don't like the part about the priest being ALL up in your business...personal finances and all...what ever happened to charity for the sake of charity?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join