It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats' health bill passes key Senate vote

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Democrats' health bill passes key Senate vote

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats’ health care overhaul passed a key test in a party-line vote early Monday, in a dramatic defeat for Republicans that put the legislation on track for Christmas-week passage.

In the run-up to the vote, the escalation in rhetoric was remarkable on both sides of an issue that has divided the two political parties for months.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I don't find this hardly surprising at all. 60-40? They got enough votes, BARELY. What does this mean for America? Mitch McConnell, the Republican Minority Leader, was right in his comments: This bill WILL reshape America. He said that the majority of America does NOT want this bill, and yet, Congress has voted in favor for it anyway. Senator Harry Reid's speech disgusted me. Were you talking to the President, or the American people? I am ashamed for the Congress right now -- moreso than I have been in the past. I have to wonder what will happen next. There seems to be little stopping the final passing of the bill.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
You know what bothers me is the spin these papers and sites add.

The United States is the only wealthy industrialized nation that does not have universal coverage. Health insurance in the U.S. is provided primarily by employers, but the ranks of the uninsured have been growing due to job losses in the recent recession.

But this bill doesn't give universal health care, it was never intended for that. I am sick of them misrepresenting what this fiasco is. They play on our fears and make it sound like they're trying to help people.

It just sickens me.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Here is what so stupid about it all.

Won't go into effect until around 2015

There is no mechanism to control costs, no guarantees your premiums will fall.

And people expect this garbage to be a blessing.

I hope the courts get filled up with lawsuits concerning this bs.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Early Monday? It is only 12:45 am Monday here in Louisiana.. - Do you mean to tell me they went to work at 12:00 am?

What the hell is going on here?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

great...all hope for my childrens future and hopes of them being free are no longer...i will be jailed for not buying in...

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Yes actually the link to the news article on msnbc was 11 minutes old when I replied. It seems they are burning the midnight oil and passing this quickly.

Many people are traveling and with family this time of year, it seems like a good time to push it through with minimal journalism questions. Looks more like photo ops.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
O_O k, in relation to my post in the topic "PAPER - there will be no where to run..." I think I know what is happening today that the gut feeling I had was pointing me toward.

america, jesus im so sorry. I truely am. I wonder how much longer before the calm ends and the storm begins, for all of us...

for those of you who arn't understanding why this is epic fail, no insurance = prison? is what i've heard from the more inteligent speakers of the topic from your side of the atlantic. jesus *** h christ this is not good.

congress admitted america doesn't want this? go protest, demand a re-count, kick the damned door down enough is enough.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Trying to sneak laws through in the middle of the night where it won't get much exposure on live Tv should be criminal. people cant even contact their senators or their offices this time of night!

This should be illegal. They should hold regular office hours like everyone else.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Here is what so stupid about it all.

Won't go into effect until around 2015

There is no mechanism to control costs, no guarantees your premiums will fall.

And people expect this garbage to be a blessing.

I hope the courts get filled up with lawsuits concerning this bs.

You forgot one important thing, my friend - the health care doesn't go into effect until 2014 (maybe 2015 now) but the tax hikes go into effect IMMEDIATELY. How's that?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Another thing is why would you force everyone to buy insurance...w/o a public option. Belileve me I don't want this pass....but my question is who pays for all the umemployed people that get inusrance? Without a public option how the hell do you insure everyone?

This Country is going to boil over and they know it....It's as if they are pushing us closer to the boiling point all the time:

Economy is broken..Their answer: Implement a Universal Healthcare Coverage

Economy is broken..Their answer: Implement a Cap and Trade program that limits production and jobs

Wars are escalated in the Middle East..Their answer: Give the U.S. president a Nobel Peace prize because WAR=PEACE

It's like we are litterally living in the Twilight Zone....

It's time for all good men to come to the aid of their Country....

RISE UP AND TAKE THE POWER BACK!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by peponastick

Economy is broken..Their answer: Implement a Universal Healthcare Coverage

But this is not universal health care, calling it that is an insult to the intelligence of all citizens.

There is no part of this bill that ever claims it will cover everybody. They've said from the start it will not.

This bill is about insurance, not health care. We will be forced by law to buy the insurance, which is not a guarantee of health care, or be fined and possibly go to jail.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

At the point which we are at now, ufortunately, the only thing we can do now is sit back and deal.

They are buying votes openly, paying people off, and making sweet deals. I thought stuff like this used to be illegal?

But, in the end, some lessons are best learned the hard way, and sadly, I think this is the case with this administration. We are going to have to suffer for people to realize this is not going to work.

The fear people have is from the untold damage it can cause before it can be fixed. And *if* it can be fixed.

I only hold out the hope that someone will sue to stop the bill as unconstitutional, as it does violate US tax codes with respect to uniformity. All states are required to pay uniformly, and several states have been removed from this requirement as part of the vote buying deals.

This leaves other states to pay the burdens of their taxes.

Really, at this point, I just see nothing more can be done, and it feels futile to even bother with anymore.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
This bill has nothing to do with insurance coverage for citizens. It is about grabbing power.

They could careless about YOU. If they did, they would make sure you got the same plan Congress has (and will keep-not mandated to join the crap the rest of us do) and wouldn't have done this vote in the middle of the night (LIKE THIEFS AT WORK).

They haven't even read the bill and they VOTED. WTF?

The TIME IS NOW FOR US TO FIGHT BACK AND TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK.

Hell, even China said they have had enough of Obama reckless spending and will not by our Treasury notes anymore. We are SCREWED.

I bet we (USA) will be in full civil war within a year or worse yet, in a world war... The USA has become a laughing stock to the world.....

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Exactly, they pass bills in the middle of the night. Insanity!!!

I shed tears for America today, its just beyond belief the country is no more.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Isn't that how they pushed the Patriot Act through as well? Shady politics get shadier at night I suppose. Makes me want to

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
now, now, all is not lost..
they still have to merge those two massive bills into one...
and God, I don't want to know what kind of monster comes out of that!

but, well, looks to me that it's just one massive bail out to the insurance companies....
forced customers that have to pay whatever price is damanded for the insurance or the threat of jail time....is not gonna get the cost of that insurance down any....even it you consider those who are being force who aren't sickly, since well, somewhere in that economic equation, one has to factor in the idea that the product has to be affordable by enough of the population to maintain the business! which our gov't has had a poor record of accurate estimation on that.

still say we'd see better results if we just pulled the safety net out, and let things settle back to where they'd be if we had that mythological "free market" that so many are trying to preserve.

and ya, I think this bill, which designates a few states as exempt from the taxes incurred by the medicaid expansion is unconstitutional!!! I shouldn't have to pay more taxes than the dear sweet citizens of nebraska just because my senators have enough honor not to be selling their votes to the highest bidder!

too bad it's so cold in nebraska!! I'd move there, just so I didn't have to pay for the healthcare system that will still be out of my reach!

if I end up having to slap my unemployed husband onto my insurance at work, I am gonna end up owing my boss money!!

still say the insurance companies got clobbered by the sub prime mess, and this is their bailout!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I have lost all faith in my government.If this bill was so good for the people why did they have to buy off senators to vote for it?How do these parasites sleep at night?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

I think they started voting on this around one in the morning!!
I don't think they are sleeping at night..
DC must be filled with vampires!!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Right now the entire concocted "reform" has turn into a political game of "none reform" legislation to have "something" that may remotely look like " work coming from the party in charge".

So they can be photographed with all the fan fare of another disastrous legislation and bill, and on top of that unconstitutional to the American people.

America is the only nation that support completely take over of the health care business by private monopoly corporations including Big pharma.

America is the only nation in the world that is run by corporate entities within the government.

The only chance we the people have is to raise all united and deny the power of the bill and congress, base on the constitutionality of the bill.

United we fight divided we are nothing but sitting ducks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join