It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Right with God or Die

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

If I was to follow something, it would be Buddhism, because it matches my philosophical beliefs the best.

Ah, it's always refreshing (and rare) to hear of someone choosing a philosophy because it matches their beliefs in this type of thread.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Loving the title. It smacks of tolerance , love, understanding and intelligence.

I'm not going to 'get right' with something I don't believe in, no matter what 'threats' you direct towards me.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by Phlynx

If I was to follow something, it would be Buddhism, because it matches my philosophical beliefs the best.

Ah, it's always refreshing (and rare) to hear of someone choosing a philosophy because it matches their beliefs in this type of thread.

I'm confused. I don't get what you're implying.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

Religion, at the start of civlization, was necessary. Language was new and so was consciousness. We humans had a unique perspective on the world around us. Religion was the result of our wondering, of hours spent marveling at nature and trying to figure out how it worked. Myths and the first religions came out of that adoration and reliance on nature. We had to rely on the sun moon and stars to tell us when to plant food and agriculture was one of the main reasons civilization even got started.

But now that we have a grasp on how things work (a tentative one but a grasp nonetheless) many of these ancient religions are irrelevant. Not only are most of them outdated and silly but many were used to divide, distract and control using fear, guilt and group mentality. Something which was meant to be about love was used for the opposite reasons.

Many of the things you list in the OP as "signs" that something is going down are superstitious nonsense. Looking at a clock and seeing 11:11 isn't supernatural, neither is 4:44, 3:33 or 9:11. Chances are most clocks in your house are off by at least ten seconds if not by a matter of minutes to the actual time and even if they were all synced to real time it wouldn't make any of that stuff supernatural.

I'm glad there are people debunking religion because most religious beliefs are silly and unfounded. Believing the Bible is true, for instance, is kind of like taking Little Red Riding Hood as gospel. Beliefs are weird to any who observe from outside those beliefs. There is nothing wrong with expressing doubt and questioning these beliefs, letting them go unchallenged, letting people believe on blind faith, just helps spread ignorance. We're supposed to be denying it.

Spirituality is fine and dandy but being superstitious or fearful of the supernatural isn't. The title of this OP is meant to invoke fear right? You are aware that all human beings are going to die regardless right? This isn't the old testament, God isn't going to strike you down for the slightest offense. If God exists I doubt he works through religion, religion is too closed minded for that. Science and Philosophy have a better shot at wrapping their mind's around the unknowable that we term "God".

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I wouldn't have put it quite the same way you have but perhaps your way is more effective...

Jesus put it this way...

"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Luke 11:13

People don't ask and then blame God when calamity comes.

Freedom means 'free' to ask or not ask and to then bear the consequences.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Love your god and if it helps you to be a better person then more power to you because I believe that the destination is the key in such a context rather than the vehicle. To find a better way via religion is not a bad thing though I am godless and can only be of benefit to us as a people but by that same token there is no need to have faith or a belief in a supernatural being to strive to be a good person with a strong sense of morality or even spirituality.

The truth is there to be initiated as a truth that lies within you and therefore the truth will always be a subjective, introspective and highly personal thing because unlike what is written, what is lived is the real key to the solution and the question regarding our “spirit” if you live your life with an acute understanding of your life and self.

The way to find the word that some call god is just a marker, a cipher to what has to be found for you and can only be found by you. God is simply a clue and is certainly not the destination in my opinion because you cannot be told by another; the truth is you can only be pointed in the general direct because the truth is subjective to the seeker as I have already said.

What I am trying to say is that though the religious book, be that the Torah, bible or the Quran or some other book are probably all filled with clues to the truth the real truth comes from digging through the sewage that fills our lives and finding out what it is that drives us to be better people. We need to discern what we should find of importance because as we strive to better our physical lives at the cost of our spiritual we lose touch with the natural and become one with the technological.

This is what will separate us from the reality and I do not mean the reality we see with our eyes, hear with our ears of feel with our nerves. Reality is composed of what you cannot see or feel but if you be still, you may hear it – a fine softly keening song between the ears, just another clue on the journey to the truth.

There is no need to be god fearing to attain your spiritual/moral awakening because the times are a-changing and we will see the truth soon enough because the lies our lives have been based upon are unravelling and heads will roll because you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

Happily it is the lying elite who will suffer.

Starred and flagged, great thread because you open yourself up for flames however I am atheist/agnostic/something and gods are not for my life but I respect your choice to have a god in yours... No flames from me.

Sorry, I might need to stop meditating so much but it works for me and keeps me sane(ish).

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I enjoyed this post and encourage the aurthor to stick with it!

Could just be my small-town brain at work, but seems to many people these days would rather concider themselves God than even concider the thought of there being something greater than themselves in the universe.

May The Force Be With Us!

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

IMHO, there is an organized effort afoot on ATS to discredit religion at all cost. Look at the dates of joining for many of the anti-religious members. They all of a sudden arrived in big numbers. They are here for a reason and that reason is to see to it that YOU perish. There was a time, not too long ago, that quantum related topics could be discussed from a variety of religious perspectives with no fear of retribution. That is no longer the case. Please identify those new members. Let's unmask them. They provide no valuable feedback. They hate YOU and want you spiritually dead.

IMHO, this is no different than those who are conducting a witch hunt for the hobgoblins identified as 'disinfo agents'.

You may believe as you choose. I will in fact, fight to the death so that you may. But I will also call you if you seek to silence those you disagree with... those I may too disagree with.

We MUST learn again the lessons of moderation and tolerance or we will all lose our right to be, and speak, who we are and what we believe.

Edit: typos

[edit on 20-12-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

He hung out with a couple of criminals as well at the end

See Moocow deep down even you believe. Even if it's only at your convience.
aorAKI

I'm not going to 'get right' with something I don't believe in, no matter what 'threats' you direct towards me.

You seem to be confusing threats with facts

OP I'm a little unsure of your premise on this one. You seem to be concerned more with an I.D. of all those that discredit God?
If that's the case can I ask why and what good will it do?

[edit on 20-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by vonholland

Oh please

Do our bodily functions "reverberate throughout the universe" too? I suppose that would explain the "Ghost fart" phenomenon.

Please leave the thread troll

[edit on 20-12-2009 by vonholland]

Explain that please?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

You seem to be confusing threats with facts

...and you sirrah, seem to be be confusing facts with fantasy.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by blankduck18

Religion only causes people to be separate when they think that they need to separate themselves for some reason. For example, some Christians. Some Christians completely separate themselves because they're spiritually proud and don't want to be with those lowly non-Christians as they're not Christian and instantly evil. They forget though that Jesus hung out with tax collecters and prostitutes; two of the most hated peoples to the Jews.

I agree. Its unfortunate when some christians, muslims or jews become szo dogmatic that they think its the way that works for them or no way at all.

Jesus said that people who live righteously but are ignorant of "the law" are going to heaven. Those who know the law but live otherwise have been forewarned and are doomed.

I find that very comforting. I have no preconception that you have to be a christian to be saved.

All I'm saying is that advances in quantum mechanics seem to be pointing to the existence of the Creator that billions of humans have believed in for thousands of years.

My new behavior pattern does not fit my definition of addiction. I find it amusing that some people's fear of being enslaved is so powerful that they would deny the very thing that does in fact enslave them.

There are some who feed off our fears. The entire industry of war needs people to stay fearful.

The irony is that the citizens of iran are sick of being told to live in fear and they are risking their lives to rebel against their own religious leaders. Many of them follow the tenets of islam never the less.

God bless the iranian citizens. God is already taking care oF their leader. Sanity will prevail. The same is happening in the U.S.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
ok hope this reply is ready. I'll have to see if my html coding for quotes works.

first of all op, congrats on you finding God or God finding you. My humble suggestions is to try and find out what he wants you to do and go and do it! Think work
its hard but you will reap the spiritual rewards! remember to not labor for physical things, because they only lead to corruption, but rather for spiritual wages
. Finally, don't let people attack you because of your beliefs. remember, their war is not with you, its with God. Ask God for protection, not because you cant handle it, but because its darn tiring work!

In response to many quotes on the board!

For some people religion doesn't help them do better in life. I am one of those people.

-- your belief may not be correct. For instance, I could believe I am the fastest 22 year old in Philadelphia. I could be wrong, and chances are, I am.

[quote I don't take to kindly to people acting like they are righteous. and [quote Some Christians completely separate themselves because they're spiritually proud and don't want to be with those lowly non-Christians as they're not Christian and instantly evil

neither does Jesus. Bible quotes for we all fall short of the glory of God, and regularly asks us to be humble. I believe the pattern of behavior out of Christians and Catholics (myself included) comes from them unwittingly following the passage in galatians 6 (or 5 i forget) but it says "aid your fellow human in carrying their cross, lest ye be tempted in carrying that cross. We all "sin," doing things that are unhealthy for our bodies etc. Us Christains (catholics) acting "rightous" is not that at all, its us trying to live up to the perfect standard set upon us by our savior. Just because you destroy yourself doesnt mean we are being rightous because we dont and advise you agaisnt it. It means we aren't screwing up in that particular area. The bible also speaks against legalism (just following the law and being rightous about it) because it sets us up for failure. We should invite the Holy Spirit (HS) into our lives daily and he will guide our steps.

Quantum physics and talking snakes are worlds apart my friend, unless of course you are not talking about the Abrahamic god but some other god.
once again a belief. quantum physics with its molecules etc are involved in snakes, and your quantum physics would also deem it possible, although highly improbable, that it talk. So don't rule it out.

Well you can;t prove this assertions either way, nevertheless, the quantum thing would seem to be indicating you most definately are it, but that's just an opinion.
oonce agian opinion. From something as unproven as quantum physics, one should be humble about talking of truths and claimsing thyself to be God or THE creator or ANY creator really when they are expressing opinions.

"IMHO, there is an organized effort afoot on ATS to discredit religion at all cost.
I agree, and one could find ample evidence of it. But then again there would be no definitive "proof" so I'll stay away.

Look at the dates of joining for many of the anti-religious members. They all of a sudden arrived in big numbers. They are here for a reason and that reason is to see to it that YOU perish.

Which way would that be? Prayer has been proven to not work, over and over again.
proof?

Somewhat paranoid going checking joining dates my friend ?

we here in conspiracy world call this "astute"

Or you could just as easily grow up and take responsibility for your life and enjoy it.
I would say he is by following the creator and his commandements once again.

and your "cosmic fart" quote Liveforever8 is demeaning and belittling and says you care nothing of the post of the op and have come here just to ridicule. I am asking that you please leave this conversation, and if you have any gripes with me personally, private message me on the topic of me thinking you are derailing the thread with comments like your cosmic fart one.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

...and you sirrah, seem to be be confusing facts with fantasy.
reply to post by aorAki

Well we could play ping pong with that one all day couldn't we?

How about this for an answer? I have at least chosen the fantasy with the
better outcome. That is to say that in the end I will at least be as happy as you are with my choices in life.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

OP I'm a little unsure of your premise on this one. You seem to be concerned more with an I.D. of all those that discredit God?
If that's the case can I ask why and what good will it do?

IMO, it could help the op and others know who to ignore and not waste their time with, rather than have basic arguments like "why hasnt God healed amputees" or whatever

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm anti religion and I can assure you, I don't HATE anyone religious, nor do I wish them to perish!

I think you should rephrase what you said.

It is interesting how I firmly believe that anyone regardless of their beliefs will have an afterlife based on how they lived their life, yet the religious are so sure that anyone who doesn't believe what they do will experience a firey hell.

Yeah, I prefer my belief over that one anyday.

Also, just being religious, and acting like a good person doesn't guarantee you eternal bliss. It's what's in your heart that matters. You can't hide that from whatever/whomever created you.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom

Religion only causes people to be separate when they think that they need to separate themselves for some reason. For example, some Christians. Some Christians completely separate themselves because they're spiritually proud and don't want to be with those lowly non-Christians as they're not Christian and instantly evil. They forget though that Jesus hung out with tax collecters and prostitutes; two of the most hated peoples to the Jews.

I agree. Its unfortunate when some christians, muslims or jews become szo dogmatic that they think its the way that works for them or no way at all.

Jesus said that people who live righteously but are ignorant of "the law" are going to heaven. Those who know the law but live otherwise have been forewarned and are doomed.

I find that very comforting. I have no preconception that you have to be a christian to be saved.

All I'm saying is that advances in quantum mechanics seem to be pointing to the existence of the Creator that billions of humans have believed in for thousands of years.

My new behavior pattern does not fit my definition of addiction. I find it amusing that some people's fear of being enslaved is so powerful that they would deny the very thing that does in fact enslave them.

There are some who feed off our fears. The entire industry of war needs people to stay fearful.

The irony is that the citizens of iran are sick of being told to live in fear and they are risking their lives to rebel against their own religious leaders. Many of them follow the tenets of islam never the less.

God bless the iranian citizens. God is already taking care oF their leader. Sanity will prevail. The same is happening in the U.S.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Here we go again

Another case of religious fanatic coming on ATS to preach. I dont know what it has to do wth religious conspiracies either.

Frankly I dont give a crap what your opinion is, and you shouldnt come here pushing it onto people. I dont understand why you even care what other people believe in

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333

The funny thing is, in our weakness as humans, we are slaves to things like lust (for money power sex, whatever), and a "slavery" to God, is so much better. IF you want the read i suggest Sex isnt the problem, lust is by Joshua Harris, a pastor from Maryland. Good book, helps me alot day to day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join