It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think the problem with the USA is the Supreme Court.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It's my opinion the problems faced within the US centers around the supreme court. If the US supreme court would have given equal rights to African /Americans before the civil war there never would have been a civil war.

In recent years the supreme court continues to rule against the citizens and for the federal government or corporations.

We have income tax this is a direct tax imposed by the federal government, it's unconstitutional.

The Federal Reserve is unconstitutional.

There are a host of things Americans take for granted but are all against the constitution, including the FBI, CIA, the department of education, transportation and the list goes on and on.

We need the power back in the hands of the States and not Washington DC but the Supreme Court will not uphold the Constitution of the United States, and Im not sure if they ever have.

We need to overhaul our justice system, I would start by first vetting supreme court nominees in Congress with a vote, then allowing the people to for there term, and there term would be no longer than ten years.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think I agree with you, star and flag. I'd say we go straight to the top top, and work our way down.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'd like to see this thread get more juice. Any means of making this happen?

Historically, its been there for things like conflicts between states and all that. Back to slavery, just say back in the days of slavery a northerner helped a negro escape. For the southerner, its theft (of property, the slave) and for the northerners, the southerner coming back to take his salve back is abduction of a person.

modern example would be murder across the state. What does DE have to do if I am a citizen of PA, and commit a crime thats a crime in Delaware, but not in PA, against another PA citizen while in Delaware, should PA courts press? Can the PA citizen press charges against his aggressor, or can that aggressor even be called one?

It might be more of a matter of the states rights, and the state having a "supreme court" of the state. I think the answer is more withdraw of states from the Union, or just solidly declaring that no, we wont listen o that particular law supreme court, and we do NOT expect any reaction to our refusal to follow that request. I think You will be hard prssed to convince enough people to get rid of it, but it sort of makes sense to me.

S+F to see it get a bump. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Many people ignore the fact that State's Rights were the main cause of the Civil War, only sparked by the election of Lincoln and his stance on slavery.

"Since the time of the Revolution, two camps emerged: those arguing for greater states rights and those arguing that the federal government needed to have more control. The first organized government in the US after the American Revolution was under the Articles of Confederation. The thirteen states formed a loose confederation with a very weak federal government. However, when problems arose, the weakness of this form of government caused the leaders of the time to come together at the Constitutional Convention and create, in secret, the US Constitution. Strong proponents of states rights like Thomas Jefferson and Patrick Henry were not present at this meeting. Many felt that the new constitution ignored the rights of states to continue to act independently. They felt that the states should still have the right to decide if they were willing to accept certain federal acts. This resulted in the idea of nullification, whereby the states would have the right to rule federal acts unconstitutional. The federal government denied states this right. However, proponents such as John C. Calhoun fought vehemently for nullification. When nullification would not work and states felt that they were no longer respected, they moved towards secession."
Link:americanhistory.about.com...

The Civil War also created the opportunity that the Federal Reserve needed to sink it's claws back into us:
www.xat.org...

I agree, the States should take back their power. See the link in my Sig.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

We need the power back in the hands of the States...

This may be random, but I think that another thing that is wrong in America today is that the States themselves aren't represented in government like they were in previous times.

Originally, Senators were chosen by the legislatures of each state, not by the people because the people were already represented by the House. The Founding Fathers thought that it would be good for the interests of the States to be given. Thus, the Senate represented the States while the House Represented the people. I believe that America needs to return to this original model. Doing such would virtually eliminate any concern of the federal government stepping on States' rights.

Think about it. Can you imagine how different things would be in Washington if the state themselves chose who would represent them in the Senate instead of the people? I bet things would be drastically different. A lot of garbage wouldn't pass, I think, because the States wouldn't want it because it wouldn't be beneficial to them. And we wouldn't have to see some guy in a position of pseudo-authority on TV all the time like Senate Majority leader was some sort of important job.

By the way, this idea isn't foreign in a republic. For example, the German legislature has two houses. The Bundestag, which is chosen by and represents the people and the Bundesrat which is chosen by the individual Bundesländer and represented there interests.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I am sorry to say in today's political climate that would not work anymore. It would become which senatorial candidate can promise to fatten the rep's or state beaurocracy the best. Corruption and cronyism doesn't stop with the federal gov't, it continues down to even the local levels. Until real, verifiable, stiff penalties and rules are in place to ensure it is not in a politicians best interest to play games, the rich fat cats will continue to feast on thier catnip.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Like I posted in the other thread about how our government is broken, the problem isn't necessarily the government or its institutions. Primarily, it is the people. Bunch of tard, ignant, dumb, know-nuthins who expect everyone else to solve their problems.

Read a book and educate yourself. Lead by example, for Christ's sake.

Even if nobody follows you, YOU will be better off for it, and that's all that matters.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The development? If the president or one of his subordinates declares someone to be an “enemy combatant” (the 21st century version of “enemy of the state”) he is denied any protection of the law. So any trouble-maker (which means anyone) can be whisked away, incarcerated, tortured, “disappeared,” you name it. Floyd’s commentary:

After hearing passionate arguments from the Obama Administration, the Supreme Court acquiesced to the president’s fervent request and, in a one-line ruling, let stand a lower court decision that declared torture an ordinary, expected consequence of military detention, while introducing a shocking new precedent for all future courts to follow: anyone who is arbitrarily declared a “suspected enemy combatant” by the president or his designated minions is no longer a “person.” They will simply cease to exist as a legal entity. They will have no inherent rights, no human rights, no legal standing whatsoever — save whatever modicum of process the government arbitrarily deigns to grant them from time to time, with its ever-shifting tribunals and show trials.

It is hard to overstate the significance of this horrid decision. The fact that the Supreme Court authorized this land grab says we no longer have an independent judiciary, that the Supreme Court itself is gutting the protections supposedly provided by the legal system. Per Floyd:

Supreme Court Guts Due Process Protection

This is what the purpose of this thread is all about, and Im assuming this went down while everyone was on the edge of their seats with the whole Tiger Woods show.

As a citizen are you ok with this?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Yes, the Supreme Court has become a de facto legislative body without any checks and balances protections for the people. Whereas it has always been their job to interpret and apply the law, they have, in fact, created legislation through activism.

Folks, this whole damn system has been corrupted and compromised. It is high time that we exercise our God given rights, and those enumerated in our founding documents and cast this form of government aside and begin a new. I would like to see us return to our true Representive Republic roots with State's Rights being center state and the Federal Government acting as the final arbitor between states and to provide for national security - as it was orginally intended!

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The Supreme Court is in essence a multi headed dictatorship. NO ONE should ever have life time appointments to any office. When one feels untouchable therein lies the lure of pure power.

In my lifetime I have yet to see the Supreme Court address a legal petition of redress by the people. Everything is run through by the "legal"bureacracy. Try finding where the citizens were ever represented in the Supreme Court without having to have "legal" counsel.

There should be an amendment or a law enacted which would limit a SCOTUS term to say ten years. And hold them accountable for any ruling that is deemed unconstitutional by the majority vote of the senate.

In my opinion the legal system of this country is full of lawyers and Judges that have formed a brotherhood,of liars and theives with intent to screw the common man out of his money and property!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Bump!! This is an issue that needs to be aired!
Second line.

top topics

join