It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agent Orange Continues to Poison New Generations in Vietnam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
when the rest of the nations of the world start paying war debts I will support us falling in line but this pre conceived notion that we must be held to a higher standard then the rest of the world is bunk. also, why do 99% of the threads involving our troops always exclaim that our troops raped and destroyed?
This thread is obviously targeted to get the eye of patriotic Americans. why don't you talk about how the VC and their tactics, or the Russian gulags, or Hitler, or Stalin, or Mussolini, or Alexander the Great, etc....Russia is arguably the worst polluter in the world with decomposing ammunition and bombs just wasting away all over the countryside of Europe, Africa, and Asia and you are talking about some barrels. You know, when the railroad infrastructure was built in the US, and all them railroad ties were saturated with creosote to prevent them from rotting away, do you think they had an exclusion zone set up to contain all spills? The saturated them, and anything else on the ground with that poison and the contaminated area covers the entire railroad footprint.

And then you say they never recovered after we came, they were and still are living in the stone ages with the same murderous leaders running around. Quit blaming the US for your self imposed guilt.....America has done 99% of the work in raising the worlds quality of life. How many countries did you see offering to help the US clean up ground zero, or help try to rescue the people of Katrina. If you think we have hurt our own people and the citizens of the world, you should see how Somalians, or the prisoners of Darfur, and see what their lives entail on a day to day basis.
Agent Orange was nasty #, but so are the millions of land mines that are dug in all over the country side.

War is an ugly thing, but you do not fight one to lose if you want to survive. If, by some chance, our government gets around to cleaning up all of the gas station that were built before the 2000's because of leaking tanks, and after we get a foot hold in trying to create some form of pollution control in Mexico, then the US can concentrate on helping the people that were killing our troops, and until then it should be left up to the people of Vietnam. If the S. Vietnam could have solved their own problems in the first place, we would have never had to go there in the first place.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jnewell33

Good points.

And no the point of the thread was not to inflame patriotic americans. I could care less about who I anger or who I appease.

I was simply writing what came to mind at the time.

But you are right, there is no reason for America to be held at a higher standard is there? You people are expected to keep the peace and when you do you are seen as tyrants and when you don't you are seen as lazy.

Kind of a screwed if you do, screwed if you don't scenario.

I can definetly see where you all are coming from with your responses, however, I still don't think we can just blindly label this is "Vietnam's" fault and move on.

America is doing somewhat of a part by contributing money, but like always she isn't regulating where the money is going.

This is the big problem we have with virtually everything America does. She just spends money blindly.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
its interesting to me to see the USA take the same stance on different subjects

here, they say theres no medical effects from agent orange, even though there is proof

in the drug war, they continually say medical marijuana has now medicinal value even though there is proof it does

makes you wonder about 9/11 and many other things, if they are this much in denial about these things, what else are they in denial about, or simply lying to us about

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
War doesn't have rules.

It is funny to think we should rebuild Vietnam after "losing", or "retreating"...

It is funny to think we should rebuild it for any reason outside of ideas that profit ourselves.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me how many people on this forum comment about things they really haven't much knowledge of. Only one other poster besides myself actually saw service in Vietnam.

I was with the 600th Photo Squadron performing photo duties to include SAR (search and rescue missions) in III Corps. Also, I was stationed at Bien Hoa one of the staging areas for the C-123 Ranch Hands who did the spraying and I flew with them.

I've got problems from AO but nothing fatal yet and I do collect a nice VA pension for my trouble. I do seriously regret the damage we did to the country and its' people and we need to ante up and clean up the chemical mess.

For those of you who want the truth about Vietnam read McMasters book, Dereliction of Duty. It will amaze you as it did me. My best,

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You people are expected to keep the peace and when you do you are seen as tyrants and when you don't you are seen as lazy.

Kind of a screwed if you do, screwed if you don't scenario.

Thanks for saying that, that's the first time that I've ever heard a non American admit that

America is doing somewhat of a part by contributing money, but like always she isn't regulating where the money is going.

Since 2007, Congress has allocated a total of $6 million to help address Agent Orange issues in Vietnam.

If any of that money was given directly to their government and wasn't used for clean up, then the problem is with their government.

The article is very vague about where all that money went to except for this.....

U.S. ambassador to Vietnam Michael Michalak said the $1.7 million most recently allocated to conduct an environmental assessment of the Danang air base is being done to comply with both U.S. and Vietnamese law and is a necessary step toward cleanup. "We're investigating many promising techniques," Michalak said following the signing ceremony in Hanoi. Careful study is required if the job is to be done right, he added. "We know there is dioxin in the soil," he said. "But what method do we use to remove it? Where do we tell the diggers to dig? It's just another step on the road."

Now that explanation seems reasonable to me. Those that are familiar with enviromental biology and haz mat know that you can't clean it up by simply waltzing in there and beginning a clean up without knowing all the facts.

Why isn't their government doing more to help their own people, why aren't they at least doing simple things like their private citizens are ? For example they could do things like this.....

At another abandoned U.S. air base in the Aluoi Valley, a Vietnamese botanist raised $25,000 in donations to plant cactus-like bushes and thorn trees around contaminated areas to prevent villagers from entering to fish there. (Dioxins quickly accumulate in animal fat.) Though these are not long-term solutions, Hatfield found that after the simple barriers went up, dioxin levels in the blood and breast milk of nearby residents dropped dramatically.

I'm sure they can afford to fence off these former US military installations. If they don't care enough about their own people to put up some fences, or natural barriers then how do they expect that America, or anybody else will ?

U.S. negotiators and scientists are frustrated that Vietnam seems to blame all the population's birth defects on the defoliants.

If this is true then it's understandable that they would have trouble getting financial aid, no one wants to shell out money to a country that is attempting to exploit a situation.

Still, the Vietnamese people (and the government, though more quietly) contend it's the U.S. that should be doing more — much more. Some point out that the U.S. spends only a fraction on Agent Orange cleanup compared to the $50 million it spends every year on searching for the remains of American soldiers missing in action.

Well that's just too damn bad. Do they really expect us to spend anywhere near what we spend trying to find our soldiers on helping them ?! If they had sent our soldiers home at the end of that crappy war like they should have then maybe America would be more willing to help them. Honestly I'm going to be more concerned about my fellow countrymen than I am about another country's people, that's simply human nature.

www.time.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The problem was their BEHAVIOUR during the war. Just because you hafta to go doesn't mean you have to make an ass out of yourself while you do it.

They weren't the only ones whose behaviour was a problem, maybe you could give equal time to the horrific things done to our soldiers over there. And no I am not saying that either side's behaviour justifies the other's. Just don't point out solely what Americans did, there were wrongs on both sides.

Anyway, it's not 30 years ago anymore and why should these people of today be punished for mistakes of the past?

For some, until all of our soldiers come home it makes no difference how long ago it was, the pain is still there. The people of Vietnam are not the only ones that suffer the effects of that godforsaken war, or of the chemicals that were used to fight it.

Just because they started it gives us carte blanche to do as we please and then ignore the moral responsibilities which come along with our actions?

Don't they also have a moral responsibility to help clean up some of the mess ?

Vietnam has NEVER come back from what America did to her.

America was not the only one involved, and what makes you think that America has come back from that damn war ?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join