It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agent Orange Continues to Poison New Generations in Vietnam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Agent Orange Continues to Poison New Generations in Vietnam

www.time.com

This lonely section of the abandoned Danang air base was once crawling with U.S. airmen and machines. It was here where giant orange drums were stored and the herbicides they contained were mixed and loaded onto waiting planes. Whatever sloshed out soaked into the soil and eventually seeped into the water supply.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Well, let's all be honest here, are we surprised?

We decimated Vietnam during the war, sprayed this ridiculous chemical and now today we scoff at the idea of cleaning up our mess.

The good news is that Hatfield's studies indicate that even though 10% of southern Vietnam was sprayed with dioxins, only a handful of hot spots — all former U.S. military installations where the herbicide was mixed and stored — pose a danger to humans. The bad news? "If those were in Canada or in the U.S., they would require immediate cleanup," Boivin says.

Isn't nice to have higher standards than other countries? Even when we are the cause of the problem to begin with?

In any case, I certainly hope the the Vietnamese government blows some steam about this issue and America owns it to it's post war responsibilities. Even if it is 30 years later.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
yaaay well done monsanto

s+f

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
sure clean it up
once they account for every prisioner they dident relise.
once they pay repremends to all the familes that will never see these
man again . every ones been harping on amercias conduct in war and no one else wants to take responsibilty for theres

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

was there ever a need to send GI joes to a far far away land ?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
yea you and i may not aggre with americian gov reasions be it old political or COLD WAR with russia but they had a reasion and if you didentb aggre tuff .

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

I"m sorry but we are the ones who invaded their country and poisoned them, murdered and raped their women and children and then some.

Vietnam has NEVER come back from what America did to her.

Sure there's blood on both sides, but you hafta look at who started it and why.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I"m sorry but we are the ones who invaded their country and poisoned them, murdered and raped their women and children and then some.

It's all so neat when you decide to just ignore the whole situation that lead to US involvement in Vietnam, not that you're interested in the truth, anyway.

At the time of the war in Vietnam, the primary threat to peace and freedom was the global expansion of communism.

The US and other free nations of the world had good reasons to stop the spread of communism.

There was also that little recognized agreement called the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization, which bound member states to treat any invasion of any other member state as an invasion of their own country.

Therefore, when North Vietnam invaded South Vietnam with the intent of imposing communism on that nation, the member states, including the US, Australia, South Korea, and New Zealand, provided military support to South Vietnam.

If North Vietnam had not invaded South Vietnam, there would have never been a need to defoliate the jungles. Let Vietnam clean up the mess. They got what they wanted.

[edit on 2009/12/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

How pleasent of you to make assumptions like that...

In any case I know what got the US involved and that's no the problem.

The problem was their BEHAVIOUR during the war. Just because you hafta to go doesn't mean you have to make an ass out of yourself while you do it.

Gitmo anybody?

Anyway, it's not 30 years ago anymore and why should these people of today be punished for mistakes of the past? So we "needed" to poison them in order to win?

Just because they started it gives us carte blanche to do as we please and then ignore the moral responsibilities which come along with our actions?

I guess you would agree with Israel's treatment of Palestinians with that logic...

~Keeper

[edit on 12/20/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Again, you babble on about things you know nothing about. There were abuses by some US troops during the war in Vietnam. Those have been well-publicized and those involved have been punished. The lies that John Kerry told to Congress have been largely debunked.

If you want to know who committed wholesale atrocities against South Vietnam then you have to look no further than the VC and the NVA. Their primary recruitment tool was rape and murder. Have you not heard of the thousands murdered during the 1968 Tet Offensive outside Hue.

You are grossly ill-informed.

You might begin your education here:

www.amazon.com...

And by the way, I served in Vietnam.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Oh, I guess the Vietcong was obliging and humane to the people they killed! REALLY?

anyway, the thing is, who invented agent orange (du pont or what?) and who decided it was good to test on our military???
My father-in-law was sprayed with it and is about to receive the government payout for those who got sick.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Alright, so blood on both sides of the aisle correct?

To tell you the truth I think Mosanto, which I believe made Agent Orange should be the ones paying big bucks to have this crap removed.

But I look at other things and wonder just how guilty the American Government was.

In 1963, the United States (suspecting the negative effects) initiated a study on the health effects of Agent Orange that by 1967 confirmed that the chemical caused cancer, birth defects and other serious health problems.[10] The outcome of the study had no effect whatsoever on the use of Agent Orange.[10]

Source

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
first the government needs to pay all the veterans of the Vietnam war that were exposed even the blue water vets and the vets exposed in Korea, Guam and Johnston island
www.bluewaternavy.org...
www.dbitpro.com...

I also am a vietnam vet

[edit on 20-12-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Just because they started it gives us carte blanche to do as we please and then ignore the moral responsibilities which come along with our actions?

Just one more thing. Your mini-bio says that you are in Canada.

I seem to recall that Canada supported North Vietnam during the war and provided safe haven to US deserters.

So, do you think that your position on this matter might be just a little skewed? And what's with the "us."

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

the same communism built china while one democracy debited its nation.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Just one more thing. Your mini-bio says that you are in Canada.

I seem to recall that Canada supported North Vietnam during the war and provided safe haven to US deserters.

So, do you think that your position on this matter might be just a little skewed and what's with the "us."

They probably did, but to tell you the truth no man should be forced to go to war and I proud of my country for helping those who didn't want to throw away their lives.

Mind you I am proud of those who went and fought as well, I just think it should be a choice.

As for the "us", I consider myself North American, and today, Canada is like a mini USA since our government would rather have your polices dictate ours then the actual populations wishes, but that's another thread.

I never really understood Nationalism, always seems to lead to the downfall of a nation.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

China has been on a course toward a free market economy for a few decades. Communism isn't responsible for the economic growth of China. It is the free market, such as it exists.

The people of China are still ruled by tyranny.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I never really understood Nationalism, always seems to lead to the downfall of a nation.

I think there are many things you don't understand.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
reply to post by zerbot565

China has been on a course toward a free market economy for a few decades. Communism isn't responsible for the economic growth of China. It is the free market, such as it exists.

The people of China are still ruled by tyranny.

I hafta agree with this one.

China if I am mistaken is the only country in the world that has both a communist and free market system, which is the only reason they have moved ahead as a real world super power.

If they had kept things as they were they would be no more of a thread to the USA economy wise than Russia is.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Ok, for those who think the Vietnamese deserved it and it helped stop the Commies.....good, that's your opinion.

Now, what is really an issue here is not just what the chemical did to the Vietnamese, but to your own troops too. Will you also just condemn them and point out it was their job and they should just quit whining?

Bottom line, as with the use of depleted uranium weapons and other chemicals in the Gulf, these things will be affecting your own troops and their families for decades to come. Are they too just to quit whining while the military suppliers and the government count their filthy money, knowing full well the misery it has caused, and will continue to cause?
Trut is they just do not care. The troops are expendable and mere cannon fodder to enforce corporate driven government policy. Nothing much has changed throughout the centuries!

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Britguy]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join