It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hinduism or Islam.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So I've decided to change religions. I'm sort of disappointed with Christianity as it hasn't brought me happiness and I find churches boring (I've tried Catholic, Baptist and Methodist in the past two years and read my Bible alot, different translations too) So for this new year coming up I'm thinking of practicing Hinduism or Islam.

So far I've read the Bhagavad Gita and I'm working my way through the Qur'an. I haven't decided which way to go. Any tips or advice?

There is no temples or mosques where I'm at so I'd have to rely on the internet for information.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Just from general knowledge, I like Hinduism more than Islam.
I do know that Hinduism counts Christianity as a facet of itself.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
God doesn't need religion.

Why not seek god instead of religion?

Between the 2, I'd have to go with hinduism I guess. But honestly you are just wasting your time. Knowledge of the holy is understanding, not something you can just accept or join a religion to get.

Have you looked at gnostic Christians? They seem to get such things and have understanding.

Google Video Link

[edit on 12/20/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I found this video in the related videos. I just started it, but so far the start of it is VERY good.

Google Video Link

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hinduism contains within it the roots of Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and several non-religious influences. Its the richest of all Religions and most of it tolerates other beliefs.

The 5 basic Yogas

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

If you want to follow something, sounds like a hobby more than anything. Instead follow a band, or take up a creative art, or Yoga, Chi Kung, Martial Art, sailing whatever.

You'll find "god" in yourself amoungst those things that you learn and experience.

The fact that you can "choose" a religion kinda should make you ask, why am I bothering?

If you really want to follow something, Ask yourself why you need a Religion and then choose the one that fulfils that need for you.
Is it to find a god, to follow rules, to enjoy the rituals, whatever, I'd pick that way, if I was to bother picking .
Good Luck.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Yeah I looked into Gnosticism years a ago gnosis.org I read the scripture. Find it would be hard to gain that secret knowledge since the scripture is fragmented and most of the rest destroyed by the early Catholic Church.

I want to move away from Christianity in general.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Well good luck, personally I don't think it's going to make 1 bit of difference which one you choose. Sounds more like you are shopping for a hat than looking for truth.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It does seem odd that you are asking which religion to adopt. You must have some feelings of your own on the topic of deity, spirituality, and the world around you. Which belief system conforms more to your ideas?

Or if that doesn't work, look at the differences between the two:
Do you believe that you will be reincarnated, or that you will only have one life on earth?
Do you believe in God as being One Singularity, an all-in-one, or do you find yourself drawn to a certain ideal or personification (what would be your ishta-deva?).

Also, Hinduism is a pretty diverse religion. You have a particular school of thought you're interested in?

Even if you have no one nearby you to talk with, you're BOUND to live near some sort of bookstore. Just buy the scriptures and look them over.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Hinduism = Vaisnava I dig Krishna. Hinduism is complex with the different yoga paths and schools of thought.

Down sides to it, vegetarianism.

Islam = One God that can forgive sins, etc it makes more sense as God should be able to do that without becoming a god-man that needs to be killed. Like the fact that all use Arabic as a liturgical language so if someone recites a Surrah you'd know which one it is, etc.

I tend to lean more towards Islam since it's still an Abrahamic faith.

Down sides to it. Memorizing Surrah's in Arabic for prayer is more challenging but also can be rewarding. Praying five times a day would be difficult living in an area with no Muslims. Though I've memorized Al-Fatihah and Al-Falaq surrahs so far in Arabic using online audio guides with transliteration.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Please don't take this the wrong way. I am not trying to be mean or anything like that.

But your reasoning and thinking about this entire thing just makes me want to puke. I do not understand why you would think this is a good way to go about things at all.

You are judging everything by the exterior, traditions and so forth. WHY? WHY? WHY? What in the world put it into your head that you need to find a religion to join? And why in the world would these factors you mention be important? It's like you are treating it all as 1 big joke, and that just makes you the joker.

I am absolutely repulsed to be honest, and yet fascinated at the same time. I want to shake you like a mad man shakes a child who doesn't understand, and yet I'm extremely curious as to what line of events/reasoning would lead to such a thing.

I'm not in favor of any organized religion really, so it's not that I care which one you choose. It's the method and reasoning behind what you are choosing that is crazy to me. It's like religious pin the tail on the donkey.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Btw, if you want to stick with Abrahamic faiths, then why not become Jewish? I'm pretty sure that both Christianity and Islam keep the OT. It seems like that would atleast give you a good base before looking to go towards another religion.

If you listen to a Jewish Rabbi, you will see that the OT has deeper meaning, and I know Christianity for example doesn't understand it. Then you could look to extend to the next level, Christianity or Islam after understanding the base and where those 2 religions came from.

I think your reasoning is crazy like I mentioned before. But I think if I was looking for a religion to join, the above would be what I would do.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Crazy? lol nah. Just that I don't agree with Christianity's teachings and how fake the followers are.

I've looked into Judaism before but it would take to long to convert and probably the closest synagogue would be an hour away.

I don't view it as 'changing hats' or whatever. I honestly am seeking a path to devote my life too. Christianity isn't for me. I've tried it and it doesn't do anything for me. I don't feel connected to God through it.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Try connecting with god without a 'tag' involved, then you might find it a whole different experience!

You seem like you want to be part of a group rather than wanting a relationship with god! maybe you should sit down and really try and figure out what you are seeking?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

How do you expect to connect with god through other men? What valiant said is exactly along the lines I'm thinking of.

I seriously BEG you to think about these things in a deeper manner. Please!

[edit on 12/21/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Then wouldn't the Hindu view of Brahman and the yoga paths be better to lead to God? Or do you recommend taking religion piece meal and have a new age type view?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

ALWAYS go in the way of understanding. Seek understanding, rather than something to accept as truth. When you look to religion in the manner you are, then you are looking for something to accept.

Which of the following Math equations are true, and which are false?

1+1=2
4+2=6
4+23=94
40+2=49
53+95 = 148.

Which is better, to memorize each "true" statement, or to understand math? Do you see the difference between a man who can add, and a man who only memorized 1+1=2?

So when you seek a reliigon and so forth, what I see is you are looking for someone's 1+1=2 to accept. But in doing so, you will deny yourself true understanding.

Now, when it comes to the religion it depends on who you happen to come across more than the religion itself. If someone doesn't have understanding, they will just repeat what they have memorized. But if someone has understanding, then maybe they can help you understand. That is more of a question of "who" rather than what religion.

They are all the same in the end. One is saying 1+1=2, another is saying 4+4=8, but true understanding of the divine is as universal as math.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I like looking into other religions and I tend to pick up a different angle and understanding from it, so I'm very tolerant of other religions. I can understand what your saying buuuuuuut I"m looking for something to follow instead of just floating around like I tend to do.

All religions have their mysticism. Christianity with Hesychasm, Judaism with Kabbalah, Islam with Sufism, etc.

ON THE BLIND MEN AND THE AFFAIR OF THE ELEPHANT.

by Hakim Abu L-Majd Majdud Sana'i

There was a great city in the country of Ghur, in which all the people were blind. A certain king passed by that place, bringing his army and pitching his camp on the plain. He had a large and magnificent elephant to minister to his pomp and excite awe, and to attack in battle. A desire arose among the people to see this monstrous elephant, and a number of the blind, like fools, visited it, every one running in his haste to find out its shape and form. They came, and being without the sight of their eyes groped about it with their hands; each of them by touching one member obtained a notion of some one part; each one got a conception of an impossible object, and fully believed his fancy true. When they returned to the people of the city, the others gathered round them, all expectant, so misguided and deluded were they. They asked about the appearance and shape of the elephant, and what they told all listened to. One asked him whose hand had come upon its ear about the elephant; he said, It is a huge and formidable object, broad and rough and spreading, like a carpet. And he whose hand had come upon its trunk said, I have found out about it; it is straight and hollow in the middle like a pipe, a terrible thing and an instrument of destruction. And he who had felt the thick hard legs of the elephant said, As I have it in mind, its form is straight like a planed pillar. Every one had seen some one of its parts, and all had seen it wrongly. No mind knew the whole,--knowledge is never the companion of the blind all, like fools deceived, fancied absurdities.

Men know not the Divine essence; into this subject the philosophers may not enter.

I think that above story sums up best what you are getting at badmedia.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Yeah, that bit about the elephants is a favorite of mine. It shows the importance at looking at things from different perspectives. Jesus also hints on the same things, especially in terms of people and hypocrisy. Look at things from the other side, and you can then see the mote in your own eye etc.

I think you are better off floating. To me, all religion comes up short in the end, and nothing can replace a real relationship with the father(god). I don't think of religion as a teaching tool, but rather as a way of expressing things.

Good luck either way. I hope whichever you choose you find a place that has understanding rather than dogma.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

There are many kinds of Islam and Hinduism.
Islam can range from the Catholic-esque Shiites, to mystic Sufism.
Hindusim is also diverse. The British merely called all people on one of the Sindu River "Hindus". Vegetarianism is not a feature of all Hinduism at all, and thousands of animals are sacrificed and eaten by devotees to Kali every year. In Hinduism there is a notion of a trinity: Brahma the creator, Vishnu the sustainer and Shiva the destroyer.
I also bagan with Vaishnavism (via monotheistic Krishna devotion). Now I'm finding out more about Shiva, Shakti and Ganesha. I find this fits my lifestyle more, since Vaishnavism can be pretty austere. I like the idea of giving up one harmful pleasure to Shiva each day, so while I love the Krishna philosophy, Shiva allows me to do small practical things without going beyond my abilities.
I don't find "shopping" for a religion strange at all. Russia for example, considered Islam and various Christianities , before it settled with the Orthodox church that tolerated alcohol (vodka).
I strongly recommend Hinduism. The Godhead divides itself into various demi-gods, so one can make progress by finding a deity according to one's own needs.
Vaishnavism is in any case very close to Sufism and other forms of Christian, Jewish mystecism. The possibilities for interfaith learning are fecund in such a tolerant system.
Incidentally, the Buddha was foretold as one of the avatars of Vishnu, and represents his impersonal potency.
My only warning would be to be wary of false gurus.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join