It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is reality most definitely an illusion?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Objective, material reality is an illusion.

I see the universe as conscious and Aware. Materialism is trying to kill the universe so to speak.

They want a cold, dead universe but this is just wishful thinking.

Nobody has ever touched matter, yet they assume that matter has an objective existence. When you touch a table it's electrons from the table that repel against the electrons in your hand and then you perceive this as hardness.

So perception is reality and this would mean the universe perceives itself.

Most of science wants a world based in materialism. So they "assume" that there's a theory of everything that gave rise to an objective, material universe.

Science supports Idealism but scientist believe in Materialism.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Yes and no. It is illusary in the sense that its all interperated by your brain. Your eyes dont see your ears dont hear. Instead your brain interperates electromagnetic signals. Your brain is the reciever not the sense organ.

Your brain is never exposed to light yet it can interperate what light as bright, dim, colorful, colorless, etc. So in that sense it is an absolute illusion. You never really see hear feel anything with your sense organs. Phantom pain is a good example of this. Some people who have lost limbs can still feel pain in that lost limb, even though it isn't even there.

As far as being some sort of hologram or "mind matter interface" it may be, but that in itself doesn't make it an illusion such as one you could escape. This is as real as it gets for the human body. What happens after death I won't go into because I don't know. As far as anyone knows this is the only thing the human body can experience on a "reality" level. As long as your here this is your reality.

I think we put far to much emphasis and concern into wether or not this is the real "reality". This "reality" may be a small part of a larger reality but no less real than any other part of the greater "reality". Its like the text on this page. . . . its all just 1s and 0s yet here is my post as real as can be.

Everything is made of the same thing. So we're just like a digital signal our bodies are merely another manifestation of energy. Coming down the line the text is only a digital signal but once it reaches a processor its converted into an image. Our conciousness may be like a data stream and it just happens that it manifests itself as you or me or anyone when it is in this part of reality.

Then again I'm not a Physicist, Biologist, or Philosopher. Well maybe a closet Philosopher. So take from my ramble what you will.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Illusion or not, I definitely don't want to be run into by a car again. That happened a few years ago when I was on my motorcycle, and I've got metal in my leg and pain when it gets cold.

So it doesn't really matter if it's an illusion. I still apparently have to deal with it.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

Like, we're borrowing energy, which is not ours to keep.

And we'll have to return it, one day.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychederic
Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World

Before being cast as the role of Neo for the 1999 film The Matrix, the Wachowski Brothers asked Keanu Reeves to read this book (as well as Simulacra and Simulation and Introducing Evolutionary Psychology) before even opening the script.

This is also very interesting theory, by Guy Debord: The Society of the Spectacle.

www.bopsecrets.org...

and comments

www.notbored.org...

Debord was a Marxist philosopher, but this work is clearly Buddhism translated into modern situation (situationist philosophy).

The Society of the Spectacle
Chapter 1: The Culmination of Separation

“But for the present age, which prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, representation to reality, appearance to essence . . . truth is considered profane, and only illusion is sacred. Sacredness is in fact held to be enhanced in proportion as truth decreases and illusion increases, so that the highest degree of illusion comes to be the highest degree of sacredness.”
—Feuerbach, Preface to the second edition of The Essence of Christianity

1 In societies dominated by modern conditions of production, life is presented as an immense accumulation of spectacles. Everything that was directly lived has receded into a representation.

2 The images detached from every aspect of life merge into a common stream in which the unity of that life can no longer be recovered. Fragmented views of reality regroup themselves into a new unity as a separate pseudoworld that can only be looked at. The specialization of images of the world evolves into a world of autonomized images where even the deceivers are deceived. The spectacle is a concrete inversion of life, an autonomous movement of the nonliving.

A very good read.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
There is more than meets the eye and this is why it will be part illusion, like how we only have the five sense's so we don't see all, but it's up to us to make the reality with what we are given.
The emotions and paths we choose will create alternate states of mind and existence.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

This should be in the ATS FAQ about the NWO. Its a long read, and I haven't got past the extreme makeover grand illusion stuff yet, but it probably does scale well even into the hard science fields like physics (1947).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join