It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science wrong.... again.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I see that successful troll was indeed successful.

Did no one care to look at his/its avatar?

I personally believe that science makes an upmtion out of ass and u.

-m0r

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Im sorry but could some of you look up the meaning of reification. I'll save you the time

Reification (fallacy), fallacy of treating an abstraction as if it were a real thing.

Science is not a living entity. It is supposed to be simply the "knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method" The junk scientists (not the ones that follow the scientific method) are the ones that need attacking. They are the ones developing the fairy tales that are force fed on children and unsuspecting adults.

Example: A tooth belonging to an unknown fossil is found in a rock layer, the next day there is an artists rendition of the creatures appearance along with a Discovery Channel documentry on this creatures mating habits and social structure, and what eventually led to it's demise... all from a single tooth?!?!?!?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Total Package

I make note of that particular point.... because this is exactly the issue I have with Science and anyone who uses it as any sort of measuring tool. I mean.... this is another perfect example of the arrogance of the Scientific community... who were so utterly convinced they were right about the behaviour of the planets ... that they did not even bother to spend any time looking for these planets which could contain life.... until they were once again proven wrong. No doubt they were teaching this crap to up and coming scientists in journals as "gospel" as well.

So why should we trust science at all with anything to do with UFOs or crop circles or much less anything else?

[edit on 21-12-2009 by alien]

Don't exaggerate. There are indeed some arrogant scientists but there is also more than one theory about planet formation. One of which has more supporters. However that theory is now under threat. So what ! What would you rather have them do deny large watery worlds exist to ensure that the old theory persists? Stop using terms like "utterly convinced", "once again proven wrong","this crap" and "gospel".

Science has given us : computers, satellites, mobile phones, genetic therapies, bionic eyes, ears and very soon limbs, increasing crop yields etc etc etc The list goes on for pages and pages but I'd a picked a few key ones we all recognise.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Topics like this just makes me laugh. Ignorant people with little to no knowledge of the real problem just shouts out.

You know something called trial and error? This is what human beings have been using to elevate their knowledge throughout history.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
can somebody help me explain this...im from another country in asia i had this dream that felt so real i was standing at my balcony staring at the moon then all of a sudden i think i was pulled out of beamed up i dont know that was weird then everything was a spin and inexplainable then i was restrained to an ordinary looking hospital bed..well it looked like a hospital to me with of course people around me. then i think or i saw someone familiar im not sure that took care of me and asked me to relax it was pleasant she was sure beautiful but im cant recall if i know her or at least in that dream it looked like she knew me and i knew her. Then after the hospital drugs had been administered i woke up....point i also wana clarify when i was 9 years old our family was on vacation near a lake and i was on a floating device admiring the huge moon then as i saw it unfold the moon moved and hid behind the mountain. if this is related i hope someone can explain please...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ts117

Originally posted by solomons path
The only people I've ever heard say what you just did . . . are fundi-christians and those who lack any understanding on the scientific method (or the work that goes into testing and how accurate theorhetical models actually are).

As you were asked before . . . can you show an actual example of this happening in the scientific community that doesn't come from an evangelical op-ed?

Do you really need proof for every instance someone quotes Newton's law of thermodynamics or something similar and stops any objective thinking? I'm not advocating an avoidance of science, I'm saying that scientists needs to keep an open mind. I used a comparison to religion as how NOT to view science and avoid blind faith in what we think we "know".

Maybe I wrote my post a bit too tongue in cheek but the last two lines should have clarified my position.

Newtons law of Thermodynamics, huh? Sir Isaac was a damn fine investigator of optics,inventor of differential and integral calculus and researcher of gravity, force and motion. But hermodynamics? Nope, that was Carnot.But don't feel bad. Your trifling mistake is nothing compared to some of the gross scientific ignorance displayed on this forum

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Total Package

Good points.

Science is a two edged sword. It does a lot of good but it also makes false assumptions based on a false and blind belief in materialism.

See, there's no evidence that an objective, material universe exists. It's assumed that one exists and they are looking for a theory of everything to explan how the universe gave rise to this.

All of the evidence says the universe doesn't have an objective, material existence. Nobody has ever touched matter. When you touch a table, the electrons in the table repel against the electrons in your hand and you perceive things like hardness.

While the planet probably has too thick of an atmosphere and is too hot to support life similar to that found on Earth, the discovery is being heralded as a major breakthrough in humanity's search for life on other planets.

See science has always assumed that life in the universe will evolve like life on earth.

They always assume something based on materialism. This is why if you look through the history of science, you will see how these assumptions have been faulty from Newton, to Einstein, to quantum mechanics.

Here's an assumption from the article:

The planet, named GJ 1214b, is 2.7 times as large as Earth and orbits a star much smaller and less luminous than our sun. That's significant, Charbonneau said, because for many years, astronomers ASSUMED that planets only would be found orbiting stars that are similar in size to the sun.

There goes that word assumed again.

It's okay to make assumptions but when you treat those assumptions as facts, you are setting yourself up for failure.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by Matrix Rising]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I understand the point the OP is making. Its not about technology. Its about science saying things are facts when they aren't. Like macro evolution. Lets build a man out of nothing but a tooth and lets depict it as a caveman walking upright and say its related to modern man... Fast forward a few years. Sorry, that man we made out of the tooth, it turns out it wasn't a man at all, but it was the tooth from an extinct pig. Our bad.

Thing like that make me seriously doubt the scientific agenda. If they are so willing to jump to the conclusion of evolution everytime they dig up a tooth it shows they are not seeking facts but seeking to push their FAITH on other people. If some of these things were true, they would thoroughly test them before hand.

Another discovery that stands out is the T-Rex discovery in which the thigh bone contained soft tissue. Either science is wrong about soft tissue surviving only a few thousand years or they are wrong that t-rex last lived 65 million years ago or they are wrong that dinosaurs are that old. They are possibly wrong about all three. That's the point of the OP. Science lies to the mass public about anything non technology related. They make assumptions based on incomplete and untested information, which is FAITH.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Your entire post here is laughable at best and just incredibly stupid at worst. You need to learn a bit (a lot) more about science. Why should you use science to measure anything? Because scientific LAWS are tested, proven, and unbreakable (as far as we know). You are bashing scientists for their theories. Granted, some theories are outright hogwash, but we can only do our best with what we have.

Following your logic, all theoretical science should be abandoned since we cannot strictly prove the theories that we are working with. What if every scientist abandoned his/her studies whenever their theories were not immediately proven true? I fear we would be in a far more ignorant world full of people like you, thinking the world is flat and we are the center of everything.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

shows how much you know about science since you keep lumping it under one huge umbrella term.

There are astronomers, geologists, vulcanoligists, meteorologists, chemists, biologists, zoologists, political scientists, economists, computer scientists, climatologists, forensic pathologists, botanists, hydrologists, anthropologists, physicists, mathemeticians, paleontologists, archeologists, and well you get the picture. Forgive any spelling errors/

They each study their own thing, and sometimes they work together.

Are scientists wrong? Of course. But that little planet represents a science of a select group of people. Now what if that is the only planet? Then they are right for the most part, except that one planet.

They are still looking for a planet that could sustain life. If the planet is too hot and the atmosphere too thick, then were exactly did they go wrong? It has water, big deal. A lot of planets do. That is not the only source of life.

So since your so quick to look for any piece of quirky evidence to slam an entire population. lets look at what science has done right.

Like the OP said, you are using the computer and internet that was developed by science.
You can't go to the doctor or receive any treatment.
You must grow your own food.
Make your own clothes.
Ride a horse instead of your fast areodynamically designed car with air conditioning and heat. You have to heat your house with a wood stove.
No phones, no music, no electricity, no running water.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

So why should we trust science at all with anything to do with UFOs or crop circles or much less anything else?

Or "global warming?"

Where were you when the "consensus" was announced as scientific fact?

Deny ignorance?

jw

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Science has given us : computers, satellites, mobile phones, genetic therapies, bionic eyes, ears and very soon limbs, increasing crop yields etc etc etc The list goes on for pages and pages but I'd a picked a few key ones we all recognise.

"Science" has also given us the dominance of the Aryan Race, Pluto as a planet, a 6,000-year history of Earth, the impossibility of human flight or thermonuclear reactions, and the pervading-presence of the "ether."

jw

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Scientific Fact and Scientific Inference

by H.W. Conn, Ph.D.

September, 1887

"It is the custom of scientist to regard their contributions to knowledge as the only ones concerning which there is any certainty. They point with pride to the many steps in advance taken by natural science within the last few centuries, and would compare this advance with what seems to them the stationary condition of non-scientific thought. The advances of science are thought to be sure, requiring no retracing, while non-scientific thought can be certain of nothing, one generation pulling down the structure of the last, only to put in its place an equally unstable conception. Metaphysics has scarcely reached a more certain position than it has held for centuries, for we still find schools and schools of metaphysics, each of which takes an entirely different view of nature. Theology is still divided into numerous beliefs, each bitterly opposed to the others. What little advance has been made our scientists think has been brought about through their discoveries, and they sometimes challenge the production of any positive advance in knowledge which has not been made through the instrumentality of science. What little advance has been made our scientists think has been brought about through their discoveries, and they sometimes challenge the production of any positive advance in knowledge which has not been made through the instrumentality of science... ..."

Source:
JSTOR

I have no problem with (a) Scientist, I have problems with Scientist(s).

People from a previous era of time understood this, why can't we?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Science hasn't been proven wrong, just the scientists. Science has laws and rules that can not be disproven.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Science hasn't been proven wrong, just the scientists. Science has laws and rules that can not be disproven.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
That's great! I can't wait to find life on other planets and this is a major breakthrough!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I wish we would hurry up and discover life on at least one planet!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
do you not feel equally rediculous making this post. on the INTERNET using a COMPUTER all developed through SCIENCE. the point of science is not to say were right are your wrong. its about understanding things. a scientist that dismisses all concepts of faith is as stupid as somone with faith who dismisses all concepts of science.

what you are infact saying. is that we should stop trying to learn new things. and just continue life forever like we are. we will never learn anything new without making mistakes. its how learning happens. this is possibly the most uncredible post i have ever come accross congratulations. youve made my top 10 " unflexible people say the most retarded things" list

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join