It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science wrong.... again.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Total Package
So why should we trust science at all with anything to do with UFOs or crop circles or much less anything else?

May I ask you why we should trust religion with anything relating to real life, when they haven't even been able to prove there own beliefs?

At least science can come up with proof. Religion has had some interesting things happen, but science has had way more proof behind there "strange things".

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Phlynx]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
Jupiter's huge EM field which at times engulfs even Earth,

Can you back that claim up with some authoritative sources please? I can't seem to locate anything that supports this statement.

Astrology has had to change its rules, right along with astronomy, as more planets and solar bodies were discovered.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Total Package

Again... the internet was invented. So what? For many years they said nobody would have a need to use a computer at home.... and ridiculed people who said it would. Because it did... does that all of a sudden make them right for all the times they were ridiculed?

It was Bill Gates notion which you probably (badly) cite here. He said that INTERNET have no use for common man. Bill Gates is not scientist but marketing magician.
There is no question that there is many close minded scientists but THAT IS HOW SCIENCE WORK. With bit of philosophical education you will realize THAT ALL SOCIETY IS WORKING SAME. There is never ending battle between tradition and novelty. But society (even scientific) CAN NOT WORK without traditional part.

Sorry for yelling - and again read T. Kuhn.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Do you not realize that science understanding evolves? It's never static.

Also, remember that astronomy is severely limited by available technology. You simply can't go in person to make observations any distance from Earth. So, it's expected that as technology changes and more unmanned missions are sent out new discoveries will be made that challenge old ideas.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
AHA! Math had finally been proven the fraud I always knew it was. Math is nothing more than a carnival trick meant to enslave the masses. I know so because some mathematicians proved math is a fraud with a mathematical formula...

I am just thinking of other thread titles and OPs that would make this a real nice little category all its own. I mean when you have scientists making scientific discoveries and that disproves science altogether, then you really have something.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yeah, this is one stupidass thread.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by zeddissad

Also, an amazingly prescient (I think) paper by J. C. R. Licklider called "Man-Computer Symbiosis," in 1960 about computer use in the future:

www.ece.rice.edu...

Really quite amazing bit of history, pay attention to page 26 onward - "the computer as a communications device". Way ahead of his time. No idea how popular the paper was in the 1960s, but it's certainly considered epic now.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Science once thought that everything is made up of four "elements": Earth, water, fire, and air...

...boy, there is noooooo way we should ever trust science again because they once thought that was true.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lillydale
AHA! Math had finally been proven the fraud I always knew it was. Math is nothing more than a carnival trick meant to enslave the masses. I know so because some mathematicians proved math is a fraud with a mathematical formula...

I am just thinking of other thread titles and OPs that would make this a real nice little category all its own. I mean when you have scientists making scientific discoveries and that disproves science altogether, then you really have something.

Actually. Math is just words.
Here's an example. The word "two". It means to have twice as much as one. Right? Ok...so by definition, two means literally having two things, numbers, etc. Bear with me...
"Two" is just a word though. It could have been called "Opal". Instead of two, we would say 1+1=opal.
So here's the theory. By definition, all numbers are words created to explain the amount of objects in a given area. Doesn't matter if the word is "two" or "three-thousand fifty four".
"2" is two.
"3,054" is just that. A word.
Who states that these "words" are right or wrong? Man does.
Not science, not "aliens", etc.
So, here's a brain buster, how do we know we are right?
Well, we don't.
We are using all of our man-made words to explain math.
We have evolved thousands of theories, explanations, formulas and mathematical equations based on these words that we created to give objects a distinguished name.

It all started with language and it all started thousands of years ago. We are just proving that its a good way to explain things.

for provoking my mind this morning!

[edit on 20-12-2009 by havok]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

It all started with language and it all started thousands of years ago. We are just proving that its a good way to explain things.

for provoking my mind this morning!

I really have no idea what point you are trying to make but I also have little confidence in your information. Math is the concept of numbers. This existed long before language. Before the words "two" and "opal" were ever thought up, people already understood the concept of two being twice as many as one. I am not sure what you are on about or how it even applies to the little joke I tried to make but math came first. You are just talking about the development of language and how different ones decided to apply those language to the already well understood concept of math.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

Originally posted by DangerDeath
Jupiter's huge EM field which at times engulfs even Earth,

Can you back that claim up with some authoritative sources please? I can't seem to locate anything that supports this statement.

Astrology has had to change its rules, right along with astronomy, as more planets and solar bodies were discovered.

Sure.

en.wikipedia.org...

The magnetosphere of Jupiter is responsible for intense episodes of radio emission from the planet's polar regions. Volcanic activity on the Jovian moon Io (see below) injects gas into Jupiter's magnetosphere, producing a torus of particles about the planet. As Io moves through this torus, the interaction generates Alfvén waves that carry ionized matter into the polar regions of Jupiter. As a result, radio waves are generated through a cyclotron maser mechanism, and the energy is transmitted out along a cone-shaped surface. When the Earth intersects this cone, the radio emissions from Jupiter can exceed the solar radio output.[

And here. Jupiter magnetosphere is the biggest single object in Solar system!

en.wikipedia.org...

The magnetosphere of Jupiter is the cavity created in the solar wind by the planet's magnetic field. Extending up to seven million kilometers in the Sun's direction and almost to the orbit of Saturn in the opposite direction, Jupiter's magnetosphere is the largest and most powerful of any planetary magnetosphere in the Solar System, and by volume the largest known continuous structure in the Solar System after the heliosphere. Wider and flatter than the Earth's magnetosphere, Jupiter's is stronger by an order of magnitude, while its magnetic moment is roughly 18,000 times larger. The existence of Jupiter's magnetic field was first inferred from observations of radio emissions at the end of the 1950s and was directly observed by the Pioneer 10 spacecraft in 1973.

Someone once did an astrological character interpretation for me, and a few years later I did a set of psychological tests. I was really amazed when I realized that both interpretations of my character, biases, etc. were very similar!

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I'm not sure that today's astrology really understands principles which were set long time ago with god knows what kind of information that existed in those mystical times. If they add new information based on calculated gravitational influence of newly discovered planets and objects, that may be way off the target.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Lillydale

Ok. Your post just emulated exactly what I just said.
I thought you were joking. Guess not.
But, I also like how you pointed to your "little" confidence in me.
As if you already know where I went to school, what I read and what I do for a living. Hmm...

for being in a bad mood. I was trying to lighten things up in here.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I don't think they're way off the mark if things like (I don't mean this wholly derogatory) general abstract nonsense or things like (somewhat rare) addition of new numbers (like Chaitin's omega, or, much further back imaginary numbers) are taken into account. I can buy that discrete integers are somewhat of a human concept because calculus has been so useful for solving natural problems.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Total Package

Always remember the people in science are no different than us, where we had our life destroyed as environment, but they got through school without many problems, or hassles to stop them.

I love it when science falls over, and i know my life proved 100% that mind control cannot judge pre crime, as i would never commit a crime, and scum used this tech on me to just murder my life.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackphotohobby

I don't think they're way off the mark if things like (I don't mean this wholly derogatory) general abstract nonsense or things like (somewhat rare) addition of new numbers (like Chaitin's omega, or, much further back imaginary numbers) are taken into account. I can buy that discrete integers are somewhat of a human concept because calculus has been so useful for solving natural problems.

Yes but did you even read what was being replied to??????

All I said was that math had proven math was a fraud. See, it was a joke because the premise of this thread is that science has been proven a fraud........by science. Did everyone lose their sense of humor? I was really not looking to debate whether or not penguins have utilized i.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

Ok. Your post just emulated exactly what I just said.
I thought you were joking. Guess not.
But, I also like how you pointed to your "little" confidence in me.
As if you already know where I went to school, what I read and what I do for a living. Hmm...

for being in a bad mood. I was trying to lighten things up in here.

I was joking. What was your joke? All I read was some paragraph about how math did not develop until someone invented the word "two." I am sorry, if you were making a joke, I did not get it. I thought mine was simple and light but I guess no one is getting anyone. All I saw was you claiming we needed language before we had math. That is what gave me little confidence in you. No matter where you went to school, saying things like that do not give much credence to your knowledge of math. Sorry if that offended you but I have no idea what else it is you were trying to say. If it was sarcasm, I apologize. I just did not get your joke.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lillydale
Yes but did you even read what was being replied to??????

All I said was that math had proven math was a fraud. See, it was a joke because the premise of this thread is that science has been proven a fraud........by science. Did everyone lose their sense of humor? I was really not looking to debate whether or not penguins have utilized i.

Yes, I didn't think he was implying that mathematics was a fraud. I thought he was making light of the links between language and abstract concepts. I was defending the joke, by pointing out it's not entirely unheard of in certain branches of mathematics.

Judging by the emotiveness of your replies, I can see you're upset. Best thing to do is walk away from the keyboard before leaning on the question mark key and making a bit of a fuss.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

but that's ok... because that's what science is all about right? New discoveries... being proven wrong etc etc or so they keep justifying their f#@k ups that way anyway.

So why do people continually use science when trying to debunk UFO's?? something they much less understand than even accept.

Science, ''when'' used correctly, is a weapon of truth and it sounds like you've been beaten about the head with it, which in turn prompted you to make this science bashing thread, just out of sheer frustration. If everyone was like you we'd still believe the earth was flat.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
What Total Package fails to understand is that science is a self-correcting system. Each and every scientist, no matter their field, will admit that our understanding of the universe around us is limited. The assumptions we make is based on that limited understanding. As our knowledge grows, these assumptions are either proven, evolve or are proven wrong. This is how science works; it is not religion, it is not dogma. It grows and changes as our knowledge grows and changes.

But Total Package does not just fail to understand this, he refuses to understand this. His hatred of science is an immature, childish one, fueled by the very dogma he accuses science of. Science has not provided the answers he wants, it does not support his beliefs, so he attacks it. He is no different than any religious fanatic. So blind is he by his zealotry he failed to notice it was scientists who made the discovery he is attacking science with.

So why should we trust science at all with anything to do with UFOs or crop circles or much less anything else?

A better question, Total Package, would be: what scientific breakthroughs have Ufologists given us?

By the logic Total Package employs, if anyone is wrong about anything they should never be trusted. Perhaps Total Package thinks that the saying, "to err is human" does not apply to him and believes himself to have transcended the human condition. After all, otherwise he himself will have made mistakes and have been wrong at some point in his life and therefore we should not trust him with anything.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join