It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peru's gold rush sparks fears of ecological disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Peru's gold rush sparks fears of ecological disaster

news.bbc.co.uk

It is only from the air that you can see the full extent of the destruction.

The forests seems almost endless until it is abruptly interrupted by the raw colours of sand and earth; rivers torn open and thousands of hectares denuded and pocked with dead, stagnant pools of water.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This is something that has been replayed for probably over one thousand years. Humans come in, destroy nature for the minerals. In the case of gold Mercury is used to separate the gold from the rock. So mercury then becomes a by product and gets into the environment. Mercury is also very poiseness. So man gets the gold and levees a very large chunk of land uninhabitable. I can't help but think if more care was taken that the gold could be extracted with out damaging the land as much as they are.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I had a friend that went to Madre de Dios (Peru), looking for gold in the so called "Lavaderos de oro". He never came back. Many years later, his family asumes his dead.

Gold rush in Peru is old, and most of the people finish like slaves in those places or finish like my friend.

Thanks for the thread. f&s for you.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Trueman]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Thanks for the reply.
I am sorry about your friend. I know the gold rush in Peru has been going on for a while. I posted this now because of the value gold is at, the people rushing to find the gold is again increasing. I will still however state that I think the land can still be reclaimed, if that should be desired by the powers that be.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

You are right about the land 100%, but most of the problems in Peru have the same origin...poverty. For the same reason we have people cultivating "coca", stealing arquelogic sites or killing endangered species for their skin. They know all this is wrong but if you need to survive you'll forget all. Who's to blame ?

Gold miners are forced to sell what they find to the landlord for a minimal fraction of the price. They never get rich and if they try to hide their gold, they get killed and the body become food for wild animals. To quit the job is also dangerous.

So far, I think you brought us a very good topic.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Trueman
thanks so much for your kind words.
Yes I get it that the people doing the mining end up selling there find for near nothing. So one must say that is where a chief problem is. I do not like saying much of anything needs control from a governing body, but in this case I would say that might be what is needed. With gold at around 1200 USD an ounce a governing body ought to be able to extract the gold as well as reclaim the land and treat the miners fairly. Since that is not happening I am led to think that the PTB just prefer the million fold profit margin.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Another interesting point. Why the price of gold is going up?... In my opinion, that will bring us to another topic.

Everytime the world faces a big crisis, it's preceeded by economical signs. Now if you see, everything is loosing value: land, houses, cars, money. stock.

Gold always keeps its value and it's easy to exchange with other kind of goods in any country. Also It's easy to hide. My father went thru WW2 in Europe and he told me that. Germans did that when they start loosing the war. You can find many more examples of this, researching history just a bit.

The other thing people store in events like that is food. My friend...you never know.

top topics

join