It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter hacked by 'Iranian Cyber Army'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Twitter hacked by 'Iranian Cyber Army'

Source

POPULAR microblogging site Twitter was briefly shut down overnight, its homepage replaced with an image claiming the site had been hacked by the Iranian Cyber Army.

Hackers hijacked the settings for Twitter's website, rerouting about 80 per cent of its traffic to another page from shortly before 6am GMT (5pm AEDT on Friday) until 7am GMT (6pm AEDT), according to Stone.

Visitors were redirected from Twitter to a page with an image of a green flag under red text reading "Iranian Cyber Army" and "This site has been hacked by Iranian Cyber Army".

Screengrabs posted on Flickr clearly showed additional text below the image in English.

"USA Think They Controlling And Managing Internet By Their Access, But They Don't, We Control And Manage Internet By Our Power, So Do Not Try To Stimulation Iranian Peoples To," the text said in broken English.

"NOW WHICH COUNTRY IN EMBARGO LIST? IRAN? USA? WE PUSH THEM IN EMBARGO LIST. Take Care," it read.

I think it's funny that some Iranian's took the time out to hack Twitters DNS settings and switch it to reroute to a page they created. I find the fractured english statement that the hackers made to be somewhat dumb, their hack really didn't do any damage (unless Twitter is even more dumb and missed a virus that their servers are now hosting). I guess technically if a virus of some sort did happen to get on the Twitter server, usernames and passwords could be captured and possibly used to access other accounts on different websites (assuming the person uses the same username/email and password on different websites (which most people tend to do).

So I don't know what the point of this was other than to 'show off' that Twitter can easily be hacked... but maybe something more sinister will come out of this, who knows?

[edit on 20-12-2009 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I look at it as a warning and I think Twitter is lucky that whoever did this didn't do any more damage or steal information, although it could be possible whoever was responsible wasn't able to do any more than redirect.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Hmm, here in Norway, there were some foreign hackers hacking into the computers at the castle of our King and Queen.

Not especially coincidental that the american woman saying on tv that Norway 'may' be targeted for Terror if we didnt do what Mr.Obama say and give soldiers to Afghanistan..

I smell 'false flag' for closing the internet...

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I really don't think it was a real Iranian hacker, and if it was, it was more than likely more a joke. I mean what high up Iranian terrorist comes out and says "Well let's see... why not hack twitter today?" Can you honestly see that happening?

top topics

join