It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Definition of Religion ; is it good?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
//disclaimer
this thread is just similar to another one that condemns religion, but I think its worth a discussion, cause its a different approach to the theme
\\

//disclaimer2
I am talking about religion in a matter of our universe and our species origins, not like a musical cult or whatever some guys seem to change the subject
\\

A religion is any systematic approach to living that involves beliefs about one's origins, one's place in the world, or a responsibility to live and act in the world in particular ways. Religion is often equated with faith and belief in a higher power or truth, but it is more properly defined as the pattern of action that expresses that faith, and reinforces it in day-to-day living. Thus, one can share the philosophy of a religion, believing in its higher truth, without manifesting that faith religiously. from Wikipedia

Do you guys really think that religion is a good thing? As the definition says, religion is a pattern of action that express that faith ...

As you all know, our world is destroyed by religion, since most people think religion as something that make us different from each other. If you research our history, you will notice that religion was used to control people, to limit your knowledge, to obtain money, to obtain advantages in all ways you can think off.

Religion is used the same way today as it was used many centuries ago: people are ignorant, people doesnt research, people just accept everything and people dont try to investigate/support things out of the ordinary, since they were not told about it by their religion.

I dont know everything, but in my opinion, religion is the worse thing in our world. I think every people should have the right and the access to information to research about our world and to create your own faith.

I am not saying you should believe that some kind of god exists. I really think something probably exists out there, but that doesnt mean I will follow a group of people that says that a paper says that some people say that they were told that something happened.

The key phase here is: CREATE your own BELIEFS instead of following a group; have an OPEN MIND to everything

discuss, I wanna hear

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Faiol]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

discuss, I wanna hear

"Religion" is too broad a category to casually generalize as "good" or "bad." I think if you look closely at the definition you provided you'll see that it's awfully broad.

A religion is any systematic approach to living that involves beliefs about one's origins, one's place in the world, or a responsibility to live and act in the world in particular ways.

...so, for example, if someone believed that they were born to their parents, that their proper place in this world was to live agreeably with others and their environment, and that the best way to do that was to generally be nice to people while at the same time not compromising their own principals...that would qualify as a religion, yes? But on the other hand, if someone belived that they were sent here by god for the explicit purpose of maiming, killing and destroying as many people and things as possible, that too would qualify as a religion, right?

However...more importantly I would point out that the definition is so braod that according to it everyone is religious whether or not they consider themselves to be so.

Think about that. For example, if you believe that your existence is the result of random biological chance, and that your place in the world is to do whatever you want to do because it doesn't matter because there is no god...wouldn't that qualify as a religion according to your definition?

religion is the worse thing in our world.

Ok...but what exactly is this thing that's so terrible? I think if you examine it more closely, you'll find that it's not "religion" in general that you object to, but rather very certain types of religion.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Religion is the name of a pattern. It is a set of events that give evidence to said deity. Nothing more.... nothing less.

It is an inevitible product in the development process for sentient species.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
yeah but this is a religion "spiritual" sense board ... I wasnt talking about some musical cult or whatever ... I dont know why are u guys changing the subject ...

I really dont know why you guys tried to change the subject to what is a religion ... really, we all know what is a religion, and I am not trying to discuss the meaning, I am just trying to discuss the need or not of religion of a our origins type, not a cultural or whatever u think type

next time I will remember to specify what kind of religion, since its very hard to figure it out since I wrote in that specific context but ... sorry

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Reply to post by Faiol

Religion is neither good or bad, it is a thing, a tool that can also be used as a weapon. It's all in what an individual does with it. Do you blame the hammer when someone uses it to bash someone else's skull in? Or do you blame the person using it? And we will ALWAYS be different somehow so just attempting to shorten the list of possible ways to be different, by making others accept your viewpoint isn't a step forward. Let people believe how they want, otherwise you are no better than some of those you oppose.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Really it all boils down to that old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". In this case, whether or not religion is beneficial or detrimental is in the eye of the beholder(and in most cases, it boils down to WHO is representing religion as well...). Through my eyes, I see religion as a beneficiary to humanity as a whole.

As I have stated in other threads here on ATS...religion benefits:

social stability - www.heritage.org...
health & well-being - www.unc.edu...
The fight against AIDS - www.vatican.va...
Helping young parents cope with difficulties - www.momtomomchat.com...
Sharing with the needy - www.christianpost.com...
Helping the unemployed find jobs - www.guideposts.com...
Economic benefits, decrease in crime/deviance and the promotion of education - erlc.com...

Also, check out these "religious" organisations and/or sponsored events...

Habitat for Humanity
The Conroe Soup Kitchen
Interfaith Hospitality Network
Jail Ministry
Lord of the Streets (LOTS)
Disaster Response
Souper Bowl Day of Caring
Women Empowering Women
Interfaith of The Woodlands
Giving Tree
Seniors Ministry
Meals on Wheels
Cypresswood/Woodlands Junior Forum Seniors Luncheon
The Amy Foundation
FH Canada

so on and so forth...

I dare to think that the individuals who have participated with and/or received help from these organisations would HIGHLY DISAGREE with anyone that claims religion and/or the church is detrimental to society....

A2D

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Yes, it is good, if it's Christianity. Please refer to this site for a list of changes in the world because of Christianity. I think you'll like them. After you review the list, tell me you would want to go back to the world before Jesus...suzyred.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Hello fellow Houstonian.
And yea like a line from Star Wars "you'd be suprised how many of the great truths of the universe depend on your point of view". Or a line of a song I like goes "you know where it is well usually it depends on where you start".

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
ok, lets change a little the question

why is religion good for ME?

what do I have to gain following a spiritual religion

I dont need to follow a religion, in MY opinion, to believe that something weird is out there, or we were created by something ...

A lot of people think since you dont have a religion, you dont believe in anything, but the truth is, its impossible to not believe in something ...

I just think that I dont think anyone can gain something positive from these type of religion we are discussing like Christianity or whatever

Some may say, you need the to have some support, otherwise you would not be able to live ... there are a lot of people that would just go in the wrong path if religion "saved" them

but, if you stop to think, the religion saved them because thats what they want you to think, nobody wants people to become smart, thats the true reality

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Well first off, nobody NEEDS religion. Either you accept what it has to offer or you don't. What we NEED has already been offered to us, we just have to accept it.

I see it like such - I enjoy being part of a "religious" community because I like to surround myself with others that are like me.

James made the statement that "friendship with the world is hostility toward God" (4:4; NASB). A man chooses during his life whether he will be the friend of Jesus Christ or the friend of the world. Being a friend of Christ involves fellowship with the Trinity and "inexpressible and glorious joy". Being human, I am a social creature and a creature that naturally interacts with others' of my species. I would rather these that I interact be a friend of MY FRIENDS than an enemy of my friends. You get what I'm saying?

In John 15:14, Jesus gives a clear-cut condition for being His friend: "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatever I command you." The key to being a friend of Jesus is obedience. In fact, obedience is the standard for every relationship with Him.

John 15:10--"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love." The abiding believer is obedient.

1 John 3:9-10--"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." Obeying God's righteous standards and loving our brothers are two of the commands of Jesus. You do not, however, become a child of God by obedience; your obedience gives evidence that you are God's child. Obedience is the proof that you are intimately connected to Jesus Christ.

John 10:27--Jesus said of the believers who followed Him, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." Obedience is the standard of a relationship to Jesus Christ.

John 8:31--"Then said Jesus to those Jews who believed on him, "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed." In every case where the New Testament talks about a relationship to Jesus Christ, that relationship is made visible by obedience. A true disciple will obey Christ. Obedience is also the mark of a friend of Jesus. The world can tell who we are because we obey Him.

So, in conclusion, I don't necessarily think we need RELIGION as we know it today, but FELLOWSHIP and/or FRIENDSHIP is a must. Which, you may call my church "organised religion" but I would call it a fellowship. Again, it comes down to "the eye of the beholder".

Were the disciples of Jesus members of Jesus' "religion" or were they merely his FRIENDS with which he could share FELLOWSHIP with?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
ok thats a fair answer, you use a spiritual religion to get together with people but,

you talk like you researched about our world, you read history, you saw documentaries about it, you read books about it and you came to the conclusion that your religion is the religion that you accept as the truth

are you sure about that? I mean, do you really found out by yourself ...

thats what I am proposing, since, I dont think everyone should be manipulated by their family to believe in something without even trying to find out whats out there, and I dont think its possible for you to believe in one specific thing and just forget about everything else since, you may think your religion is the best, but everyone else that possesses a religion think their religion is the best

the logic would be, isnt the best for everyone to study and by their experiences try to find out whats your beliefs instead of just picking a mainstream belief to think you are part of something bigger, because thats what most of the people do, they just pick whatever they think will make them not worry, like its a business, instead of using it as an opportunity to use their brain to something amazing, that is to find out what would be responsible for creating everything

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Do you guys really think that religion is a good thing? As the definition says, religion is a pattern of action that express that faith ...

What religion? And that deffinition you posted is only one deffinition of religion.

As you all know, our world is destroyed by religion,

That is false. We do not all "know" anything and the world is not destroyed by religion.

If you research our history, you will notice that religion was used to control people, to limit your knowledge, to obtain money, to obtain advantages in all ways you can think off.

Yes if you research our history you will see that atheist dictators hold the highest death counts. This is not a "religion" issue it is just a matter of bad people do bad things and when bad people come into power well...

Religion is used the same way today as it was used many centuries ago: people are ignorant, people doesnt research,

Religion makes you ignorant and doesnt research?????

dont know everything, but in my opinion, religion is the worse thing in our world. I think every people should have the right and the access to information to research about our world and to create your own faith.

Religion is bad so go out and create your own? Religion is not stopping anyone from access to information.

I am not saying you should believe that some kind of god exists. I really think something probably exists out there, but that doesnt mean I will follow a group of people that says that a paper says that some people say that they were told that something happened.

So i take it you are talking about some abrahamic religion here? Congatulations you fall into the big ignorant lump of people who use one group to judge religion as a whole.

The key phase here is: CREATE your own BELIEFS instead of following a group; have an OPEN MIND to everything

Open mind? Seems to me like you already have your mind closed to what you do not want to hear.

new topics

top topics

join