It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light reflection upon the sun and stars! Stellar albedo???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Explanation: I was just viewing a thread and in it a poster made a strange comment about a brown dwarfs Albedo [they used the word "reflective" ] and this made me think very very hard because I thought the sun and stars emitted light and the concept of them reflecting it amused me greatly and so here is this thread.

So, is it possible for main sequence stars to not only emit light but ALSO reflect it?
If yes, then how best could we define and measure this stellar albedo?

Personal Disclosure: Thanks to OzWeatherman for the accidental inspiration.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Explanation: Shameless bump!
:shk: Come on people!
I'm suggesting the sun is a mirror!
Doesn't that bug your scientific sensibilities?

Personal Disclosure: Sigh!

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Explanation: So its a conspiracy of silence! I'm going to take that as an indicator that I'm 100% right. The Sun is a giant mirror and IS reflecting the incidental light of the surrounding universe and therefor directly causing the climate change we are currently experiencing!

This is in addition to gravitationaly lensing the CMB radiation and other cosmic energy sources far beyond the solar system, onto the closely orbiting planets around Sol.

Personal Disclosure: Methinks I have devolved into a shameless wanton thread bumping hussy?
Deny my ignorance DAMNIT!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I wondered where this design came from! Maybe you're right!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Explanation:
You earned and are a St*r!

Personal Disclosure:
for bumping and pimping this Thread!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

thats one hell of a mirror there. I think people are afraid to challenge your denying ignorance abilities because it leaves them all and
. $&F for the info.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I would think that every object would reflect light, the problem here is; what light? The only light that we have in our solar system, on any significant scale, is that from our own sun. Very little light from other stars reaches us, thus there is not much reflection going on.

If you shone a bright light at the sun it would probably bounce back, but so what?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I imagine that you could measure the reflected light of the sun by measuring the light output of the "dark" side of a nearby solar object such as a asteroid (which do not reflect much light from nearby planetary bodies). Scale the results up and subtract from the generated light output of the star. I am guessing the difference would be statistically inconsequential and would probably even fall into the margin of error used in the original stellar output calculation itself.

[edit on 1/20/2010 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I was just viewing a thread and in it a poster made a strange comment about a brown dwarfs Albedo [they used the word "reflective" ] and this made me think very very hard because I thought the sun and stars emitted light and the concept of them reflecting it amused me greatly and so here is this thread.

From what I understand (which can be very little at times, lol), brown dwarfs are different than stars similar to the one we orbit in our solar system.

Here is a link that may help out.

Brown Dwarfs

I know its a wiki link, but its seems rather informed.

Anyways, good thread, hope this helps

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Explanation: Bumped to help generate ad revenue!

Personal Disclosure: Enjoy!

new topics

top topics

join