It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States get more time to comply with Real ID

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

States get more time to comply with Real ID

www.washingtonpost.com

The Obama administration will abandon a Dec. 31 deadline for states to tighten security requirements for driver's licenses, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced Friday.

Delaying the requirement, which faces opposition from governors and Senate Republicans over how it should be implemented, jeopardizes an immigration and security measure adopted after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. But it also removes concerns that tens of thousands of holiday travelers could have been subjected to heightened airport security checks if they lacked the new licenses.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Well more fallout from 9/11 that must be dealt with. What is baffling and counterproductive to me is the lack of securing our borders of illegals both in this and the previous Administrations. I don't see this Real ID act ever getting off the ground the way it was intended due to the expense to see it through. Homeland Security will keep on extending the 'deadline' ; and hopefuly we will never see it happen.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON
Homeland Security will keep on extending the 'deadline' ; and hopefuly we will never see it happen.

That's what I hope happens. The fact they need to extend the deadline means things aren't going to plan.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I live in Montana and most people here want nothing to do with the Real ID. This state strongly distrusts the gov. More so, that any state I have lived in before. The people voted down the REAL ID, and still dont want it at all.
I read somewhere that down the road if you want to travel state to state you will have to have one of these ID's. This idea scares me. Are we going to be having Nazi check points in this country pretty soon?!?! Its my hope this Act never gets any momentum.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

The Real I.D. act is a complete failure,perhaps one day,they will realize it.
Of course too,it may just be a distraction.

Once cash transactions,are no longer allowed,they will then force a similiar card,on all of us,a magical wonderous card,that does practically everything.
But,only when the time is right.
We are very close,to being a cashless society,right now.
Everytime,that I go shopping,I rarely ever see anyone,pay for anything,with cash.

I would say,that debit cards,are the most popular form of payment.
Credit cards second,checks third and cash last.

Cash and checks,are going to be slowly phased out,altogether,in Britain.
I believe,the final year,for such forms of payment,is 2018.

top topics

join