It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antartica's Sea Secrets Revealed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I just wanted to share this with the ATS community.

British scientists in Antarctica were surveying the Bellingshausen Sea, and took some fantastic photos of some uniques sea creatures.

This octopus was one of the more common sea creatures they came across

Transparent crustacean, resembles a trilobite in my opinion

This creature resembling a stingray is called a skate. Scientists believe that warmer seas will cause it to flourish

They also think the combjelly will flourish in warmer water too

This fantastic creature, the basket star catches prey with its arms

Its is believed that creatures such as the ice fish above, have no red blood cells due to the cold climates they live in

The above crustacean is known as a sand hopper

There's a couple more at the below link

Enjoy

news.ninemsn.com.au...

[edit on 19/12/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
wow. truly amazing photos. great find!

S+F

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
amazing!! thanks soo much!!

we dont even know half of the creatures on this planet yet.
it is exciting to see "brand new" ones!!

the "skate" and the combjelly are very pretty i think. lol
ohh, the basket star too!!

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Ahmose]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Hi Oz,

Great piccies, very clear & beautiful.

One thing that is interesting thou, about the skate, is that "scientists say will flourish in warmer seas"?

Well, how can they know this, especially since these creatures seemed to have "flourished" in their current environment? What & where is there proof?

We already have many different species of "skate" just around the lower part of Australia, where I am. Am not sure what goes on up North, but definately have seen a "shovel nosed skate" while snorkelling under the pier on Green Island, approx 45km's off Cairns.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpinifexPrincess
We already have many different species of "skate" just around the lower part of Australia, where I am. Am not sure what goes on up North, but definately have seen a "shovel nosed skate" while snorkelling under the pier on Green Island, approx 45km's off Cairns.

Yes, Ive actually caught a shovelled nosed ray, lol, was almost 1 metre long, and had to cut him free.

Im nt sure what the theory is about the warm water, the article didnt really go on to explain in any detail

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Amazing... Simply amazing, isn't it crazy that we know more about space than what we know about our own oceans? So many more creatures and mysteries are out there, right at home to!

S+F if I knew how

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Cool photos.

I have to wonder though, why aren't the creatures that they speculate will thrive in warmer waters doing so already?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hmmmmm. Skate... I wonder why I haven't seen pictures of that one before...

Oh, wait, I can remember. I have had the option of purchasing it before at my local fish restaurant.

Perhaps I was mistaken.

Perhaps the warmer global temperatures will allow this "native of Antarctic waters" to thrive and move further north, so that my future memory can come true...

www.flmnh.ufl.edu...

I'm not impressed with the fearmongering and outright claptrap the article in the OP comes up with.

Not happy at all.

As for the ice fish, it is likely that most if not all of the fish in the Arctic and Antarctic regions have the Antifreeze glycoprotiens in their blood to prevent it from freezing...
en.wikipedia.org... (I realise that it's Wikipaedia, but it's the quickest link I could find).

Gosh, what a little research does.

I don't wish to totally poopoo the OP though, as they are some wonderful pics, it's just a shame that they aren't totally unknown creatures.

Peace.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by dampnickers]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Great find Oz

I think the combjelly looks amazing

Edit.....

Originally posted by Deny Arrogance
Cool photos.

I have to wonder though, why aren't the creatures that they speculate will thrive in warmer waters doing so already?

Was also wondering the same thing?

[edit on 20-12-2009 by valiant]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Great stuff man!

Those things look a bit creepy, and look like they may bite. but all of those critters look alien. Imagine what else is out there.

S&F

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing oz, there are some amazing creatures in Antartica's ocean, an ocean that most people would considder life wouldn't hardly be possible yet it flourishes.

Life is tenacious.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Doesn't the skate on the right look like it ate a bunny rabbit?
Is this the kind of wildlife we want flourishing???? lol.
Anyways thanks op for the pics. I always a enjoy good photos of previously unknown OR little known seacreatures.
Now, if only we could get some of the elusive space creatures....

[edit on 20-12-2009 by heyo]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

Doesn't the skate on the right look like it ate a bunny rabbit?
Is this the kind of wildlife we want flourishing???? lol.
Anyways thanks op for the pics. I always a enjoy good photos of previously unknown OR little known seacreatures.
Now, if only we could get some of the elusive space creatures....

Did you even read the previous posts? There are lots and lots of these creatures on the planet... all over the planet in fact.

Gosh, talk about denying ignorance!

However, I would like to add, that I for one, do not wish to see habitats destroyed of creatures dissapear, because we blatantly destroyed them. It's nice to see great pics of the wildlife of our planet.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

I always a enjoy good photos of previously unknown OR little known seacreatures.

What do you mean?
Talk about not reading my post.
The creatures are known to some, so that makes the pictures less captivating? I am the ignorance to be denied because I think they beautiful photographs? help me out here.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
As said before, we are only beginning to explore the entirety of our oceans on

Earth. We should not be surprised to see alien lifeforms on land, water and

beneath the oceans on other planets and their moons. Bugs and Blossoms are

keeping busy. ^Y^

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Great find!! It's amazing how little we know about our own planet.
The sand hopper crustatcean kind of reminds me or a prawn or shrimp. I wonder how it would taste on the barbeque.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers
Did you even read the previous posts? There are lots and lots of these creatures on the planet... all over the planet in fact.

Gosh, talk about denying ignorance!

Funny post, but I dont understand how he is being ignorant?

These creatures arent as abundant as you think the skate is probably more abundant than any of the other, because species of it exist in warmer water.

If you see the link, the scientists even photographed a species of unidentified coral.

Also apologies for the pictures missing bits, I didnt realise until just now. The link should provide the entire image though

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Shuush! Don't tell Long John Silver or they may find a way to scrape another entire layer of bio-ecology from the world, cook it and sell it.

All these creatures are just amazing. I ponder what Great Innate Intelligence determined the principles and provided the motive force necessary to make the adaptations for survival.

Once I think I heard that the octopus has some of the best developed eyes in the animal kingdom. (and it's a mollusc, supposedly a lesser life form in the chain of life development) This octopus' eyes seem like they have a beaded covering.

They all look like they are freezing their gills off.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

'Oz' as ever a unique thread ... fantastic pictures ... makes you wonder just what else waits to be discovered on/under/within this beautiful blue planet of ours.

Woody

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Clearly your statement about "They will flourish in Warmer waters" is completely unfounded. In FACT waters have been cooling for at least the past Decade.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join