It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stockpiling Shotgun shells

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I need to add more ammunition to my home armory.

What is the cheapest way I can do it, while maintaining a lethal enough load that is still capable of taking down a human being and will double as a hunting round?

Currently I have 00 Buck and 4 shot on hand as well as 7.5 birdshot.

thanks for the feedback

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
My best guess is to contact a local skeet shooting club or range.
Any round in that caliber will take down humans, from a 2 in low velocity #9 shot to a 3 1/2 magnum....size will not matter to the person recieving this!
The shot really does not matter IMO either....unless range/distance and/or shooting through walls is desired, or armor is involved.

The cheapest is the choice your after I think...
Hope that helps

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Buck shot is probably the least useful of all sizes. Just about anything will kill a human being. I read somewhere #7 was the most used in Vietnam. Buck is goint to spread to thin to quick to be much good for any hunting and too large for small game.

Something to consider which size shot you stock up on would be your gun itself. Choke? How tight? If removable choke will you be taking multiple chokes with you?

Buck shot is cool and all but is either useless or overkill for most situations.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The smaller the shot the faster it will shed it's energy with distance. Basically number 4 shot will have more energy than number 8 shot at 30 yards. If you want some range with maximum knock down will be "deer slugs".

Tru

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Cabela's or Gunbroker....

00 Military Buck....Dark Green shell,
2 3/4" Magnum powder charge

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
More info required.

What gauge is your shotgun? What length barrel does it have? What is its choke-full, modified, etc etc?

Does your shotgun except 3 1/4" shells? What distance are we speaking of?

Is you shotgun a pump, semi automatic?

All of these things make a difference. Tell us what you have first, then tell us your usage requirements, then some parameters can be attained.

Please, more info needed.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
More info required.

What gauge is your shotgun? What length barrel does it have? What is its choke-full, modified, etc etc?

Does your shotgun except 3 1/4" shells? What distance are we speaking of?

Is you shotgun a pump, semi automatic?

All of these things make a difference. Tell us what you have first, then tell us your usage requirements, then some parameters can be attained.

Please, more info needed.

Mossberg 500 tactical
6 shot
12 gauge
18.5 inch barrel
accepts 2.75 and 3 inch shells

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Here's a pretty good article on shot size and uses: www.chuckhawks.com...

Target Shooting Games (lead shot)

16 yard Trap - 8, 8 1/2
Handicap Trap - 7 1/2, 8
Skeet - 9
Sporting Clays - 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2
Live Pigeon - 7 1/2
Upland Game (lead or tungsten alloy shot)

Turkey - 4, 5, 6
Pheasant - 5
Chukker, Grouse, and Partridge - 6, 7 1/2
Quail - 7 1/2, 8
Dove - 7 1/2
Rail, Snipe and Woodcock - 7 1/2, 8
Rabbit - 6, 7 1/2
Squirrel - 6
Waterfowl (steel shot)

Geese - BBB, BB, 1
Ducks (over decoys) - 2, 3, 4
Ducks (pass shooting) - BB, 1, 2
Waterfowl (tungsten alloy shot, Hevi-shot)

Geese - BB, 2
Ducks (over decoys) - 4, 5, 6
Ducks (pass shooting) - 2, 4

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Here's a pretty good article on shot size and uses: www.chuckhawks.com...

Target Shooting Games (lead shot)

16 yard Trap - 8, 8 1/2
Handicap Trap - 7 1/2, 8
Skeet - 9
Sporting Clays - 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2
Live Pigeon - 7 1/2
Upland Game (lead or tungsten alloy shot)

Turkey - 4, 5, 6
Pheasant - 5
Chukker, Grouse, and Partridge - 6, 7 1/2
Quail - 7 1/2, 8
Dove - 7 1/2
Rail, Snipe and Woodcock - 7 1/2, 8
Rabbit - 6, 7 1/2
Squirrel - 6
Waterfowl (steel shot)

Geese - BBB, BB, 1
Ducks (over decoys) - 2, 3, 4
Ducks (pass shooting) - BB, 1, 2
Waterfowl (tungsten alloy shot, Hevi-shot)

Geese - BB, 2
Ducks (over decoys) - 4, 5, 6
Ducks (pass shooting) - 2, 4

I saw the same thing.

Again I am looking for value vrs power

Stock piling 00 buck is cost prohibitive

More 7.5 birdshot sounds promising. Always on sale at wally world.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Seriously... talk to someone that shoots a lot of clays....

Could easily find someone near you that reloads too.

You could split a larger ammount and come out ahead of evan wally marts.
Also look into mail order, seen them for $2 a box 3" standard velocity 7 1/2's If I remember correctly.
All you got to do then is stay under the 70# UPS standards.
Nah the shipper will let you know, if multiple packages are needed, they won't want it sent back.

ETA let me also add it depends on your definition of stock piling....yours may very well be different than mine, I would have nothing less than at least two layers off of a skid to consider it a stock pile.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Mossberg 500 tactical
6 shot
12 gauge
18.5 inch barrel
accepts 2.75 and 3 inch shells

12 gauge 2 3/4 inch shells are sufficient for an armory function
-4 shot will incapitate anyone not encased in body armor
-encased in body armor, a standard slug will drop that individual with broken bones if not protected by the newer dragon armor ceramic body armor

-4 or 3 shot is my favorite goose loads, they can be as low as $10/25 box
-00 is pretty much worthless as others have said for anything but extreme havoc
-a slug can be much more effective and accurate compared to the 00 load, you can also use rifled slugs which have a longer range
-a vet from Vietnam told me that his favorite loads were 2 shot and slugs alternated in the gun

since your barrel is on the short end, the shot will spread quicker so alternating the loads maybe your best bet for home defense

for hunting, I doubt your barrel length is to your advantage. So for hunting purposes, I would suggest a longer 3" for more fps out of the barrel to keep the "pattern" further down range

What I do, is I found someone I know in the area, that loads shotgun shells and I pay him to load my shells. Everything I use is kept to be reused.

Now, if you want a shell that can drop anything, one must think of the load itself. I have had my friend load hot shells. Overpacked 3 1/4 loads. For yours they would be overpacked 3" loads.

It all depends on the purpose of the usage and the price.

Your standard loads from Manufactures like Federal and such can give you standard usage. But, you can get it cheaper and better quality if you find a local loader.

(bbcode)

[edit on Mon Dec 21 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
cheaperthandirt.com and centerfiresustems.com are good places for cheap ammo

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I would have a box or two of deer slugs sitting around if all I had was a shotgun

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I dont know shotguns very well but I agree you should have some slugs as well as buck, buckshot just makes bears angrier, slugs are very powerful.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Depends mostly on how you intend to use the shot gun for defense.
Basic cheep loads common at discount box stores is effective at close range.
The advantage to the "bird shot" Is that over kill or penetration through walls is minimized. In a home defense situation with an engagement of less than 2 or 3 feet this cheaper option would be my advise.

Out doors or extended rage the efectiveness of the lighter load would be less desirable. This puts you in the realm of buck shot and alternate slug loads as a desirable option. Most law enforcement load their shot guns this way.
The shotgun really can be an effective weapon when use in the proper way.

I hope this helps

[edit on 19-12-2009 by dkwlttrman]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I agree with dkwlttrman birdshot is a very effective home defense round at short ranges such as 3-5 yards. At that range the shot has not dispersed much yet and is basically still a solid slug of lead. Also advantageous of using birdshot for home defense is that after going through a couple layers of sheetrock the lethality is greatly reduced, minimizing injury to any loved ones in other rooms in case you miss.

In regards to the OP, the great thing about a 12ga shotgun is its versatility. Your ammo stockpile should be versatile as well. I keep on hand a good mix of birdshot, buckshot and slugs.

I see your Mossy has a 3" chamber. When you buy slugs or buckshot get the 3" magnum rounds. In situations where you need to use the buck or slugs you're probably looking for maximum knockdown power, may as well get the 3" mags.

If you're looking to just pile up on ammo in case SHTF I would just buy a crapload of high-brass (also labeled "high velocity" or "heavy load") 2.75" birdshot. You can get it in 100rd boxes for around $25 at Wal-Mart. Do not buy the "low brass" (usually labeled "target" or "low recoil") loads. Get them in various sizes ranging from #4 - #7, that will make due for just about any birds or small game you ever need to shoot.

Once you've got a good supply of those (I would consider "good" = 1,000+ rnds) start adding some 00 buck and slugs. 3" magnum 00 buck contains 12 0.33 caliber lead balls, one pull of the trigger and it's basically like shooting your target TWELVE TIMES with a 9mm handgun. Effective against humans and large game such as deer, elk, etc. at closer ranges (under 50 yards, depending on choke).

3" magnum slugs will kill pretty much anything that lives in North America out to 100 yards. Make sure you get the rifled slugs since your shotgun is smoothbore.

By far and large, during SitX, birdshot is going to be your most useful shotgun load. Maybe not lethal towards humans at range, but certainly effective at making bad guys GTFO. No one's going to keep bothering you after a couple blasts of birdshot even if it's from 40yds away. Birdshot is most effective at hunting birds and small game like squirrels, rabbits which would be staples for food during SHTF.

My advice would get up to the 1,000rnd mark or so on birdshot, then add a few hundred rounds each of 00 buck and slugs as money permits. Quantity is going to be more important during SitX. If SHTF tomorrow you're going to wish you had 500rnds of birdshot instead of only 50rnds 00 buck.

[edit on 12/20/2009 by Mortimer452]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
THank you Mortimer.

THis is excellent advice and exactly what I was looking for.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
For the cost, I would invest in a ruger 10/22 since 550 round multi-packs are about $16.00 still at Walmart.

Ruger 10/22 about $200.00, A few 30 round mags less than $100.00
5,500 rounds of ammo - $170.00 or so.

Shotgun is fine but as you said, rounds are cost prohibitive, don't store well and are REALLY bulky. Having a .22 is better than having an EMPTY shotgun.

Another idea: Saiga 5.45x39 IZ-240 - 16" $349.99
For those of you who need an affordable weapon WITH affordable ammo.
Saiga 5.45x39

www.centerfiresystems.com...

www.aimsurplus.com...

1,080rds for about $150.00

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Good stuff.

More excellent advice.

Thank you infolurker.

(no reason to quote the post directly above your reply )

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
the rifle is the queen of the battle field, you might want 1000 rds of 00 buck, but its too costly,and too bulky get 5000 rds 22 RF,250 rds of buck , (thats what a case is 250) 250 rds birdshot,250rds slug,1000 rds rifle 223 or,308,1000rds pistol.all of that can be loaded in to car trunk in 5 minutes and still have room left over.anymore than that willl be wasted if you have to take off and leave on foot, or vehicle becomes damaged,you dont want to arm bad people chasing after you.next put your money in some real professional shooting training, its way better to have shooting & combat skills, than a truck load of ammo.one shot one hit, a wounding hit at long range is better than having to shoot at close range where you will have to kill with one shot, you may have multiple adversaries and cant afford the time to shoot multiple shots per bad guy.in that kind of situation 00buck or slug will do the job with one shot, birdshot may or not. in midwest ,Ammo to go is cheapest, online form fillout,instead of haveing to send picture of drivers liscense.shooting someone with 12 pellets of oo buck is not like shooting some one with 12 rds of 9mm!!!00 pellet is .33cal 9mm is .357 .00 pellet is 54 grains in weight.9mm bullet is usually 125 grains and most people use JHP which opens up to larger cal(.50or so)and does lot of damage inside bad guy,bullets are spinning and usually go straight shotgun pellets have no spin.00 buck pellets are just round soft lead,and will not do much damage as they slip and slide around inside bad guy.most people shot by cops in stomach with 00 buck survive.Stopping Power.com is major site on ballistic gelatin testing ,and real world shooting results mostly by cops & a few civillians.these people really know what works and doesnt.high brass 12 ga empty shells are difficult to reload,with buck or slug, low brass is better,and more avaliable & cheaper.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join