It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq masses troops on Iran border amid oil well row

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Iraq masses troops on Iran border amid oil well row

www.haaretz.com

Iraqi troops massed Saturday near an oil well on the border in a standoff with Iranian forces that seized control of the site in a sudden flare up of tension between the two uneasy neighbors.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
So what does anyone make of this? Think this will turn into any kind of military action or is this just Iraq posturing? I see in the article it said the US approved of Iraq's speedy deployment of forces to the border. The whole place is a poowder keg right now. Will Israel attack? Will Iraq attack? There was also news this week about how the UAE could take out Irans entire airforce right by itself......

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well i am not sure. I don't want to sound like a fear monger. I just hope nobody, i.e. Israel, tries to take advantage of the situtation.

I just don't want this to be jumped on as some pretext for war.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This story is kind of sparse on information.

One, inside Iraq, where exactly is the well?

Two, if Iranian guards have left, why all the commotion?

Three, this whole article sounds like disinfo.

Why release any article, if you do not even verify certain questions? Just another disinfo article, I THINK. This is my viewpoint. I want verifiable information on anything coming out of that arena or I THINK it has some other intentions behind it.

Thanks OP. I just need more info, can you find any other articles or sources on this information?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I found this. I don't know how reliable it is. Still not too much to go on though.

Iraqi troops in standoff with Iran

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Iraq has no business massing it's troops on any border. If there were any incusions into Iraqi territory the coalition (US) troops would be the ones to be posted on the border. It is too much of a hot button issue at the moment and Iran would be insane to have such a border dispute at the moment when the whole world is focused on the area.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
This story is kind of sparse on information.

One, inside Iraq, where exactly is the well?

Two, if Iranian guards have left, why all the commotion?

Three, this whole article sounds like disinfo.

Why release any article, if you do not even verify certain questions? Just another disinfo article, I THINK. This is my viewpoint. I want verifiable information on anything coming out of that arena or I THINK it has some other intentions behind it.

Thanks OP. I just need more info, can you find any other articles or sources on this information?

Thats what I think also, this story sounds like something made up in order to get some reaction. Why in gods name would the Iranians give the US and the world any reason to attack them. The information that is coming out of there is very limited and seems controlled.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Firstly, i am of the opinion that the so called "Iranian troops" were not iranians at all, but paid off contractors in a False Flag operation to give excuse for the massing of troops against Iran. These troops are here not to protect anything, but to help contain Iran within its own boarders durring the first wave of air attacks against Iran.

The real question is...Are troops also massing on Irans other borders? Like Afganistan for instance?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Can somebody please post a picture or link to the google earth photo of this oil well?

Much thanks in advance

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
there is a couple of articles on PressTV saying that Iran and Iraq just had a bit of a disagreement and have sorted it out and want to work together which probably won;t make a couple of interested parties all that happy

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

This could just be a way to seal the border in that area. Get troops built up in an area of concern. Before what is really going to happen, happens.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
news.xinhuanet.com...

Iran's military denies incursion into Iraqi territories for oil well
·Iran's military denied its armed forces had entered Iraqi territories for an oil well.
·Iran rejected the reports as an attempt to harm relations between Iran and Iraq.
·The oilfield is now considered a shared one and both Iran and Iraq have right to pump from it.

TEHRAN, Dec. 19 (Xinhua) -- Iran's military on Saturday denied that its armed forces had entered Iraqi territories to take control of an oil well, saying the oil well in question is "inside Iran's territories," Iran's satellite channel Press TV reported.

"No incursion has taken place into the Iraqi territories... and the oil well in question is located inside Iran's territories," Iranian Armed Forces Deputy Chief of Staff Masoud Jazayeri was quoted as saying.

"Iran fully respects Iraq's territorial integrity and the two neighbors will resolve the problems through dialogue," he said.

Some Iraqi and Western media reported Friday that Iranian forces had crossed into Iraq and seized the No. 4 oil well from the al-Fakkah oilfield in Iraq's Maysan province.

Iraq's state-run al-Sabah newspaper on Saturday quoted the government spokesmen Ali al-Dabbagh as saying that the Iraqi Security Council has "stressed that the incident is a violation to Iraq's sovereignty and territories and called upon Iran to pull out its troops from the well."

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast on Saturday rejected the reports as an attempt to harm the relations between the two neighboring countries, adding that Iran's foreign ministry and other relative bodies are now investigating the case.

The al-Fakkah oilfield was first drilled by Iraqis in 1979 as part of the Iraqi territories before the Iraqi-Iranian eight-year war in 1980.

However, the oilfield is now considered a shared one and both Iran and Iraq have the right to pump from it, but the Iraqis consider the well No. 4 theirs.

From xinhuanet.com, a state owned chinese news agency.
Interesting to hear another perspective.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Yea3h? Or their airspace? huh?

I mean, iraq won't stand for any incursion.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hot_Wings
Firstly, i am of the opinion that the so called "Iranian troops" were not iranians at all, but paid off contractors in a False Flag operation to give excuse for the massing of troops against Iran. These troops are here not to protect anything, but to help contain Iran within its own boarders durring the first wave of air attacks against Iran.

The real question is...Are troops also massing on Irans other borders? Like Afganistan for instance?

I'm not one for fear mongering, and your spelling sucks almost as much as mine, but I actually agree

Abductee

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
as far as i can tell, 11 iranian soldiers "took over" this well, planted an iranian flag and left, but then i read that theyve been coming and going since then... im assuming more than just 11... nor can i find a source saying how many iraqi troops are involved in this so called "massing" at the border... what did they do, send 30 troops...

seems fishy to me... iran ahs good relations with the shia iraqi gov't and has no reason to have a beef with the current admin other than their letting us occupation forces to stay.. i mean we are occupiers, why are we there? saddam is dead, his regime is dead, the insurgency has dwindled so much its of very little significance, nothing the iraqis cant handle (see pakistans situation), so why are we still there... bam, were occupiers. so anyways yeah... fishy situation if u ask me...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Picking up more steam on other news outlets...here ya go:

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I don’t want to see it happen and I really hope that it doesn’t but I am predicting Israel will attack Iran on the 27 of December of this year.

This appears to be either a false flag or an every day occurrence as other reports suggest this is a shared and disputed well between the two nations that is now being blown way out of proportion as an excuse to start positioning troops for an invasion of Iran right after Christmas.

We will probably built up Iraqi and Afghani forces on the boarders in part to hide and mask American and British Troops taking up close in echelon positions behind them.

I suspect there will be one false flag attack within America blamed on the Iranians too sometime right before Christmas on or right after Christmas in order to gain public support here domestically for what has been a very tough sell on a war weary and impoverished public.

It all fits with the 27th of December time table.

The bad news is that it really looks like this might end up going down.

The good news is that if they don’t act militarily against Iran before the 1st of the year they probably never will.

So lets cross our fingers and hope that they never will our economy would likely collapse at this point if there was a drastic spike in oil prices and such a war is sure to do that as its sure to close or slow the traffic in and out of the Persian Gulf through the narrow Straights of Hormuz that Iran sits on.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

So... why December 27th for Israel attacking Iran? What timeline does this attack fall into? 7 year biblical tribulation? End date of 2012?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Ha too funny, Israel stated it would attack before the end of the year if a diplomatic solution was not reached.

They won't attack before Christmas out of deference and respect to the Christians in the United States and not wanting to mar the Holiday.

They did the same thing last year with Gaza. If the Israelis are one thing that is consistently going with the same old same old even beyond the point of being worn out.

The other thing that makes the Christmas Holiday attractive to the Israelis if they run in to trouble and need help Congress is not in town and in session to slow that process or vote on it.

Select rump lawmakers can be sat if need be to push legislation through if legislation is required to legally command and extend what ever aide they might find themselves in, and it makes it much easier for the President to just arbitrarily decree something that can end up committing us into an already inextricable situation before Congress even gets back to town.

2011 and 7 year calendars that's a good one!

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Let me guess ...

When this is all said and done we will have seen the US give the Iraq government WOMD to defend its self and counter balance Iran .

Seems a bit strange , if that does happen seeing as how we went in there to remove there none existent WOMD when in fact we just may have went to war with Iraq in order to arm them .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join