It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Send your Message to Venus on Akatsuki - Closing Soon!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hi all,

I searched for this, so sorry if it's been posted already.

Akatsuki (meaning "Dawn"), is a Climate Orbiter which will arrive at Venus in Winter 2010 and spend 2 years doing study.

This project’s main purpose is to elucidate the mysteries of the Venusian atmosphere. Though often referred to as Earth’s sister planet in terms of size and mass, Venus is actually very different. It is veiled in carbon dioxide, with a high temperature and thick sulfuric-acid clouds. Clarification of the causes for this environment will provide us with clues to the understanding of the birth of Earth and of its climate changes. Therefore, Venus is a very important subject for exploration

The probe vehicle of AKATSUKI will enter an elliptical orbit, 300 to 80,000 km away from Venus’s surface. This wide variation in distance will enable comprehensive observations of the planet’s meteorological phenomena and of its surface, as well as observations of the atmospheric particles escaping from Venus into space. It will also be possible to take close-up photos of Venus, and to observe the storm winds that blow on the Venusian surface, at speeds that reach 100 m a second - 60 times the speed at which Venus rotates. This phenomenon remains the biggest mystery of Venus, as it cannot be explained meteorologically. AKATSUKI will employ infrared light to observe and elucidate the mysteries surrounding the atmosphere under the clouds and the conditions on the planet’s surface. In addition, it will confirm the presence of active volcanoes and thunder

[img]
[/img]

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) are taking names and messages to be Scribed on Aluminium tiles on Akatsuki!

Just fill in the form and you get your own certificate too.

Pretty cool for anyone who is interested.

the form is here -

www.planetary.org...

and here -

www.jaxa.jp...

more information here at the JAXA website -

www.jaxa.jp...

Sounds like a very interesting mission. Launches in february 2010. cant wait to hear more next year.

g

[edit on 19-12-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
JAXA have put this video up on YouTube. Very interesting stuff.

It shows what exactly this mission will be hoping to achieve, going into great detail about the Cameras etc that are fitted to the Craft.

Shows very impressive Graphics of Akatsuki as well.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Done my message

Its going to be fantastic to see what this probe comes up with when it gets into Venus' atmosphere. Its always interesting to see what kinds of meteorological phenomena occur on other planets

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

yep, Can't wait too. I'm no expert, but its exciting sending something in to the unknown.

Its quite a nifty device too. awesome clip on youtube. Cameras everywhere!

Got my message done too. I think this is such a great idea, it gets people of all ages involved. Superb.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Very very COOL

Thanks for posting that !

My message is done and will print out my certificate tomorrow

My only question is how long will those remaining spots last now that the link has been posted on ATS ?

Start the clock now !

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

How many spots are left?

Isnt it great though that we can all be a tiny bit involved in something like this?

I printed out my certificate earlier and was like a kid with a Swimming Certificate!

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

HAHA I know the feeling !

Hey , what do you say we split on a plot of land on the Moon or Mars ? I would imagine we could get another really cool certificate !

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

no worries, as long as I can have prime beachfront land on the Moon seeing as theres water there an all.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thanks for the information mate, good find and great Youtube video aswell.

I sent my message and got my certificate

I really hope my message doesn't induce an alien invasion

I had a message go up on some other probe about a year or two ago. I completely forgot what it was! I was apart of SETI for years and I plan to own a piece of the moon, because when they start mining for Helium3, I want my cut if its my lunar land
(Even thought they will do it without my permission, it is always an investment for my great great grandchild
)

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

No worries man.

I never realised until now that they had done similar things in past missions.

Owning a piece of the moon. what a cool thing!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Deadline for this is on Jan 8th 2010, so be quick!

new topics

top topics

join