It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Companies that use GM (Genetically Modified) Crops-Help me research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
So, I started researching companies that use GM foods and was surprised that nearly 70% of our food here in the US has GM ingredients but we wouldn’t know because unlike Europe, our food does not have to have GM labeling. www.geneticallymodifiedfoods.co.uk... Researchers from the Food Policy Institute at Rutgers' Cook College found that only 52% of Americans realized that genetically modified foods are sold in grocery stores and only 26% believed that they have ever eaten genetically modified foods -- a modest 6% increase since 2001 www.webmd.com.... I figured that I would just list the food companies that used the genetically modified ingredients but decided to write a little more.

People have been modifying food for centuries but it was done using selective breeding and classic plant interbreeding. Selective breeding was done by simply planting a crop and taking/saving the seeds from the plants that did the best. If this was done time and time again, over the years you would have created a very good crop. Classic plant interbreeding uses deliberate crossing of closely or distantly related plants to produce new crop varieties or lines with desirable properties. This is done by putting pollens of some plant to a pistil of another plant.

Genetically Modified foods have had their DNA changed. They have had specific changes introduced into their DNA by genetic engineering . The first genitically modified plant was created in 1983 and it was a tobacco plant resistant to an antibiotic. The first approval of a GM food product anywhere in the world was Gist-brocades baker's yeast that was cleared for food use in the UK in March 1990. In 1992 the first food to be made from a GM ingredient - a vegetarian cheese - went on sale in the UK. The Flavr Savr tomato was the first commercially grown genetically engineered food to be granted a license for human consumption in 1994. It was modified to slow the ripening process. It ran into production and shipping problems and was off the market by 1997. The tomatoes were so delicate they were difficult to transport without damage. A variant of the Flavr Savr was used by Zeneca to produce tomato paste which was sold in Europe during the summer of 1996.

Between 1996 and 1998, according to the Worldwatch Institute, the area planted with GM products jumped from two to 28 million acres worldwide, and around 60 different crops have been developed. The most common genetically modified foods are soybeans(soya), maize, cotton, and rapeseed oil. The main reasons for genetically modifying foods are to produce more yeid or the same yeild for the lass input (less herbicide, insecticide, fertilizer). One of the key players in the GM food industry is Monsanto. www.organicconsumers.org... “Monsanto Co. dominates the industry, accounting for a 90% share of genetically modified crops worldwide. Dow Chemical Company and Syngenta AG, among others, control the rest” www.webmd.com... Monsanto genetically modifies their seeds so that when an herbicide is sprayed the plant wont die and the weeds will. Monsanto’s BT corn is itself registered as an insecticide. Because every cell has been engineered to manufacture BT, a natural bacterial toxin. If a corn worm eats part of the plant, it will die.

A controversial aspect of gm foods is that seeds can be patented. Patenting is guaranteed by article one in the constitution but foods were deliberately left out on moral grounds. In 1978 Dr. Chakrabarti at General Electric was able to patent an oil eating bacteria. The patent office first refuses him saying that he couldn’t patent the bacteria because it was nature, it was life. He took it to the Supreme Court where 1 vote made the difference and he was able to patent his bacteria. Even though this bacteria was never used because it ate more than just oil, it opened the doors for people to start patenting other parts of nature – LIFE.

Monsanto’s spends 8 billion dollars buying seed companies. By the late 90's companies were not only patenting GMO seed but seeds that have not been engineered before; the only requirement is that the seed has not been patented previously. Monsanto’s estimated patents are 11,000. The problem with patenting a seed is that once it’s unleashed into the environment, it can not be controlled. Any third grader can tell you that seeds spread in many different ways by forces of nature. So now we have GM crops being spread to non- GM crops through wind, birds, transportation of crops from one area to another etc, etc. Recent studies have shown now that transgenes from GM food crops are now found in soil dwelling animals. What will this do to the population of these creatures?
www.organicconsumers.org...

[edit on 12/19/2009 by concerned190]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The only way to make changes to DNA is to invade cells. How do you invade a cell? You use bacteria and viruses to do this. GM corn was made by taking a soil bacteria that was naturally immune to herbicide. They took this immune DNA and ecoli bacteria, mixed them together and formed rDNA. They then take this new rDNA and place it into the corn cells however, cells reject foreign DNA so they then invaded the corn cells with a bacteria that causes tumors in plants to introduce the new rDNA. Does this shock anyone except me? No wonder we have so many ecoili outbreaks, no wonder so many people have cancer, it’s in our food. It is DELIBERITLY placed into out food that we eat EVERYDAY.

So what companies use GM crops? I have found these are US and UK based companies: Asda, Bell Pasta, British Airways, Britvic, Continential Airlines, Frito Lay, Kirin Beer, Lumen foods, McDonalds, Muller Dairy, Nestle, Quaker, Safeway, Somerfield, W Jordan Cereals, Walkers Crisps, Wild Oats, Pepsi cola, Haldane, Kellogg’s.
It is hard to find out who uses GM crops so if you have more to add please do!

www.organicconsumers.org...
www.britannia.com...www.independent.co.uk... tml
www.plantea.com...www.greenfacts.org...
fbae.org...
www.greenfacts.org...
I highly reccomend this moviewww.snagfilms.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Honestly, you'd have an easier time collecting a list of companies that don't use genetically modified foods. And I wouldn't be surprised if you had to increase font and double space to make it fit the page.

Germany banned GM corn....made by Monsanto.

Also here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good thread.
This is a subject that is very debatable, though I tend to lean heavily against GM crops. I'll have to find some information that I have saved and post it here.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Thanks Devo....
I have also found out that many more plant varities have been Genitically modified, more than what I thought.
Tomatos, cantalopes, soybeans, sugarbeets, corn, cotton, wheat, rapeseed, rice, peas.
www.csa.com...
We then have the issue of what has our live food been eating? Most feed is made of GM crops. Here in Ga hunters buy bags and bags of corn and soybeans to attract deer and wild hogs. So now, not only is our commercial animals been feeding on Gm crops but the wild animals have now had GM crops fed to them.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Here is a thread about how GM foods spread. Soon everything planted everywhere may be genetically modified by natural causes.

Ottawa - 28 countries, including more European countries as well as Sri Lanka, Singapore, and Thailand, have now been affected by contamination from genetically modified (GM) flax in Canadian exports since contamination was first reported on September 8.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This is why GM crops should be BANNED.

It is purely money that says they are viable.

They think it will take up to 25 years to see any ill-effects. By then, it is too late.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
From what I've read recently, even most of the products which claim to be GM free, still have trace amounts of GMO's. It's everywhere. We've all been infected with them. One specific GMO is known to cross genes between various other pathogens. We've literally got an unknown number of pathogens in our bodies as we speak, mutating and producing god knows what. This is just the beginning, unfortunately. It seems morgellons is real. It's nanobots that are doing much worse, as they're providing a means for not only transgenetics between pathogens, but between human beings as well. It's been going on for some time, and we're all about to get a lot stranger. I think this is part of both a depopulation event, and a push for advancing evolution this century. The weirdest thing about this is that DNA contains our memories as a species, so by crossing genes between species/kingdoms, we're literally downloading/integrating memories from these other organisms into our subconscious...I think. This is the true spiritual revolution.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

I agree, but even with banning these crops, they will still be present...They have already been introduced into our enviornment spreading around by mother nature.

new topics

top topics

join