It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think the US is headed for a Civil War?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Oh, I think I understand your meaning now; top-down initiated war from people with an agenda that are in power, rather than a popular uprising, which is what I implied the OP meant by "Civil War". I guess someone should make up a saying that warns people away from implying similar to the one that people have for assuming.

On topic though, that is a terrifying thought. If the government was somehow trying to mobilize against a portion of the population that could easily be indentified; color, religion, income status. And said government was able to convince a large portion of the people that are not in said persecuted population, they are right and good, then we would have a similar mass-indoctrination that we have seen in Germany (WW2), USSR (post-WW2), China (post-WW2)

And I didn't say it couldn't happen in the US, I said it would be a localized event that resembled a riot. But, now that I understand your original hypothesis we have a bit of an agreement. But, I still think this type of war is very unlikely in the US because there is a tremendous ethical mixture in most parts of the US. The lines would have to be drawn very carefully and even then the leaders of the anti-scapegoat would meet with instant antimosity from portions of the population they intend to be their power base. Then that would involve secret police, extreme civil rights violations and a general control of all media; all of these things are possible, I just do not believe likely.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Dookie Master]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dookie Master

Even here at ATS you can sense a racism, a hatred by some of the members against nonwhites; especially as the economic situation deteriorates; those prone to hate and racism, begin to look for scapegoats.

And who is the most identifiable?

There are those here at ATS that actually want to see a form of revolution and blood in the streets.

That is why I say..........

God help us!

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Through intellegent discussion we come to the most ultimate of agreements; "God Help Us"

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
No. I have seen this question asked a number of times in a number of places for a number of years now. If it was gonna happen it would of happened by now. We are willing to tolerate evils as long as they are sufferable. As long as we remain happy and well fed I see no reason for their to be a civil war.

Many countries have it alot worse than us and they do not call for civil war. They are happy with what little they have... Here unruly folks get in a twist over small things like power outages and high gas prices. In places like Dominic they do not even enjoy electricity 24 hours a day but they do not call for civil war. They are grateful for what they have. As we should be.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
civilian population purchased 1.5 billion rounds of ammunition in Dec 2008.
There are not enough deer in America to explain that.
Somethiing else is in the wind.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Citizens vs. Government? I dont think we would have a chance. You cant win that war. Even if your crazy neighbor has a stockpile of AK47s.

Everyone in the government is also a citizen, and good chances they're pissed off too. Probably even have more of a reason since a lot of them I'm sure see corruption more first hand than many of the rest of us who have to wait to hear it from the news. Especially in Washington.

All of our boys in the military are citizens sworn to uphold the Constitution as well. Will be interesting to see how well they follow orders to turn and shoot their own fellow citizens. I'm sure many of them will but certainly not all of them, no chance of it.

Boycotts, yeah right. Boycotts don't do anything and nobody even cares about them. If you're really pissed off and going to do something, refusing to buy oil isn't going to be what's going to happen.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'm not sure how the next Civil War would play out. I believe there will be some sort of armed uprising in the future, but the catalyst..don't know. It will begin in splintered fashion and if it survives more than a few months, it will congeal into a Civil War on a national scale. Remember, this is a big country and sporadic and scattered conflicts is how all of the wars on our continnent have begun. Only after the government becomes so oppressive, will all rebel factions join into cohessive ressistance.
The wild card is the introduction of foreign "peace keepers" to aide the US Feds in putting down the uprising. Further, would the country and the effort become "Balkanized", with old greivences, and racial and political rivalries keeping the rebellion splintered.
For instance, would Texas try to seceed and form a republic, would the "Old South" states try to reestablish the Confederacy, would the North East try to form a loose alliance of Minuteman States, California...big and strong enough for one of the top countries in the world. Alaska...well, you get the point.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
As I have said before, Civil War isn't the name for it - it is Revolutionary War, plain and simple - the second of its kind.

And before people start asking if and when, they should realize that it has already begun. Don't be blinding by tripped up reasoning that "it can't happen here, not to us" or that there aren't those out there who actually pry themselves away from reality television and fast food.

The Revolution is here, it is in the minds of most everyone, the energy is pulsating. Can you see violence and explosions, massacres and martyrdom? Not yet. Not YET.

But you will.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It is hard to say at this point in time, and only time will tell. The question is where do the American people draw the line in the sand and what will they do if the government crosses that line. Currently there are signs of disconent, as the economy if anything has drawn the public out to pay more attention to what is going on. The lines are fuzzy and not clear in any sense of the word as to the sides that are there, though they are, as I believe are forming, more along political/idelogical lines. 2010 will be the year to watch, to see how the public reacts to what is going on right now in the Federal Government. If incumbents remain in office, and nothing changes, then yes I would say that the lines are being drawn up and that the country is another step towards such.
It takes a lot to arrouse the anger of a population. Too many people are under the belief that there is nothing that they can do, and those who are trying to voice their disapproval are getting the rough end of a stick. So right now I urge all to let the political process take its course, before taking up arms against the country.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Civil war ?
No I doubt it.
I just cannot see half of America at war with the other half.

Revolution, or insurrection, now that is much more likely than civil war..
Pissed off Americans against ANY authority..

Even more likely, is just a complete breakdown of law and order, and total chaos and anarchy.
Killing, looting arson and rape, just because people can get away with it.

Yet many Americans still believe that enough guns, death, and deadly force used against other Americans, it will somehow restore America to peace and prosperity.

All that is going to happen is that America will be turned into a lawless smoking ruin.

And it won't be Muslims, or foreign terrorists that do it, but Joe Patriot with his arsenal of weaponry, and a very bad attitude.

And don't expect your enemies to come over to the US to protect you from each other.
That ain't going to happen.

[edit on 19/12/2009 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Dookie Master

Men and women under the age of 25 that are non military should not post on threads like this. You just do not have any idea what is happening in your country right now.

And as for a civil war, if it breaks out it will be the shortest and fastest in history. Our military leaders will converge on DC and that will be the day power will be put back in the hands of the people. Do not lose faith in the very people who protect you and keep you free.

And as for private contractors trying to fight the citizens of the US, well, they had better bring an army of foreign SOF mercs willing to die for their employer.

"A US contractor operating on US soil in a war time campaign against US citizens will be committing HIGH TREASON and will be dealt with accordingly!"

Just remember this! Every one of you!

" THERE ARE MEN IN THE SHADOWS OF THE MEN IN THE SHADOWS AND WE ARE WATCHING THEM. "

Tens of Thousands of them that swore an oath and still remember it.

Another quote from an old friend, " I would rather fight 100 mercs by myself than have to face ten men that have familys fighting for their country. " by One of the toughest men I have ever met in my life.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine. ( Whether you like it or not. )

Semper Fi America, I still and always will love you,

Eye of Eagle

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If there is a Civil War in the US it won't be between political groups it will be between groups of people, mostly over resources, and it will be a war without a clearly identified 'enemy'.

Some areas will have no prolonged conflict and some areas will be no-go hellholes, especially in the cities.

Religious groups against other Religious groups.
Criminal groups against Law abiding citizens.
Paramilitary groups against whomever.
Neighbourhoods against other Neighbourhoods.
Upper Class against Lower Class.
Fresh residents (refugees) VS longtime residents.

If it does happen in the US it will be the most fragmented conflict in history.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think the country is headed for martial law.

The repu blicans platform was best represented by ron paul. He is the definition of a republican. He passes every test there is when it comes to republuican issues and republican agendas.
O'bama is a democrat, he was elected president of the united states of america.
This country is free, and has elections. I am very conservative. Just because the majoriyty of republicans want to complain about america, and o'bama, just means they weren't smart enough to elect the best republican canidate. They can complain all they want, I would actually blame the republicans, for O'bama. (not on his behalf)

I 'll say it again, this country is headed for martial law, not civil war. The republicans are supposed to have a leader who best represents their platform, and the further education of their platform, so that their numbers may only grow. They have done, are doing the exact opposite with the help of the media. Ron Paul would put the secret government right out of business, though you would think they would just wait it out.
I blame the republicans for o'bama, and well of course for bush.
It's a well know fact that if al gore had picked joe biden as his vice president he would have been elected president of the united states. See the usa is two party system, and now joe liberman is either of the two.

Here is a link to my thread, it's called tea party no matter what.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
You are kidding right?

Everyone in the government is also a citizen, and good chances they're pissed off too. Probably even have more of a reason since a lot of them I'm sure see corruption more first hand than many of the rest of us who have to wait to hear it from the news. Especially in Washington.

They are government employees with no worries of being laid off or fired.All they have to do is show up appear to do something and collect a paycheck for doing a job that is way over what they would be paid to do in the private sector.

We are in the worst recession/depression what ever and big O just approved a pay raise for them all.

With our money for mostly doing nothing.

Study what happened in the states to lead of to the Civil war. It didn't just happen over night it was a 30 year process and caused the failure of a couple of powerful political parties.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The next big event in the US will be when the 4th quarter numbers come out. Mid February I believe.

Here is a site to keep an eye on to; Bank Failures

Anyone have a link to credit union failures?

Keep your eye on the actual unemployment numbers and keep in mind the number of people unemployed or are not receiving benefits and also the under employed.

Keep your eye on the price of gas. People are already broke and $3.50 a gallon gas in places that currently pay $2.25.......it won't be pretty.

This could be a rough winter which is just one more duck getting into the row.

In January, I will start my third full time job since May. There are jobs out there but you have to be a tiger to grab them. The business market ain't pretty.

It's going to be a rough three years and the next Presidential election could be ugly to.

If the US breaks down, I see it happening as a resource issue. People begin to riot. And it j=begins to jump cities.

Heck, I have no idea how it's going to go down but I since something dark in our near future.

And if the US does break down, I can't help but wonder what impact it will have on the rest of the world.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
i think its proposterous not to think civil war cant or wont happen in these united states... if youve ever visited or lived in the south for one, you'll know almost right away, especially if your from the north, that southern sepertism is still very much alive and thriving.. civil war can happen to any country at anytime for any number of reasons big or small... a spark is all that is needed and then bam... before you know it, you got somlia right here in america.. all im saying is empires always fall... as soon as americans lose the top spot to china, we become a 2nd rate power, we lose our "comfort", things could happen..

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
There are only two possible reasons that I can see that could ever possibly divide ordinary Americans into two fiercely separate camps to start another civil war.

White versus black, or Democrat versus Republican.

I just cannot ever see it happening like that.............

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I thought so, but things have cooled a bit.

It is very possible, though. It just takes the right ingredients.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

Not that i'm an advocate for it.. but saying it's ridiculous is pretty ridiculous.
We are way too comfortable. I don't want it, no one does, why would you? BUT it wasn't too long ago that it happened.

There is actually a book by Orson Scott Card about it, it's called Empire.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Oh, but i will agree that the idea of a "civil war" as most people here envision it is not correct at all. A shot needn't to be fired.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join