It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frozen Light Stays Fresh Longer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Sounds crazy right? Well it is! However that doesn't make it any less real.

Forget about ziplock bags. A cloud of ultracold atoms can store a beam of yellow light for 1.5 seconds. That timescale isn’t impressive for frozen peas, but it’s enough time for light to circle the Earth 10 times under normal conditions, researchers led by Lene Hau of Harvard University report.

This ability to store light may lead to more efficient ways to communicate, as well as new ways to explore quantum mechanical properties such as entanglement.

Interesting progress made here, I wonder if one day (in the distant future) it will lead to a light drive (instead of a hard drive).

Visit the Source for the full article.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

...Not even sure what can be said about that. Except that right now i'm holding up a lighter and have an odd expectation that "Freebird" sill start playing out of nowhere.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

great reply

when i read the headline of the article i thought "..... apparently the laws of physics don't apply here." ha.

[edit on 12/19/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This is tough to wrap your head around, when you think of the possibility.
I mean, can you really understand how fast light travels, other than the numbers associated?

Good stuff

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
That's awesome. Light drives instead of hard drives. No more need for those fancy LED's to light your computer up. It would be super fast too.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
What's happening inside that supercold cloud is a lot of coherent internal reflection.

The light's still moving at the usual speed, it's just taking the long way round.

Seriously.

new topics

top topics

join