It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss geologist in quakes trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Swiss geologist in quakes trial
The head of a geothermal energy company has gone on trial in Switzerland accused of damaging property by triggering earthquakes.

Markus Haering's company had been working with the authorities in Basel to try to convert the heat in deep-seated rocks into electricity.

But the project was suspended in 2006 when drilling triggered the quakes.

They caused no injuries but led to $9m (£5.54m) of damage. Mr Haering denies deliberately damaging property.

The project was shut down permanently last week after a government study found that similar quakes caused by the project would lead to millions of dollars worth of damage each year.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Man at it again doing everything they can to destroy our planet, this is a catch twenty two dilemma, how can they hold an individual or company responsible.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Ok, why start a trial over a force of nature, that large scale forms of cannot be caused by man?

it obviously was an accident, his only crime was only trying to solve the fossil fuel dependence.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It seems that two geothermal projects have been halted, the other is in the US off California. Reading down the link this type of geothermal project actually does cause earthquakes, except that you're not supposed to feel them
The Swiss effort produced a 3.9 Earthquake,

www.popsci.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

Actually things like oil drilling (and I would assume geothermal drilling) CAN in fact cause earthquakes, at least locally. We're not talking anything like the san-Fran 09 quake or the like, but it can make the area shudder enough to cause damage to buildings in the area. Especially if you're working around a fault line, where hte ground is already broken and unstable

So why put the guy on trial? Well, probably because it's his job to make sure that stuff like that doesn't happen. I wouldn't call it deliberate on his part, but no doubt someone somewhere screwed up, and being the guy at the top, he does take the responsibility.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
LMAO!

Another feel good lefty whackjob idea BLOWS UP!

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Maybe someday the repressive right will HAVE an idea. I doubt it'll blow up though. it might sink, but probably not blow up. They just don't have that kind of energy.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by leo123

Maybe someday the repressive right will HAVE an idea. I doubt it'll blow up though. it might sink, but probably not blow up. They just don't have that kind of energy.

Oh we produce a lot of "energy" all right, and guess what?

It doesn't cause global warming, nor does it cause EARTH QUAKES!

Still LMFAO!!!!

[edit on 19-12-2009 by leo123]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The law of unintended consequences strikes again.

It been known in calif that geothermal drilling causes earthquakes for over 40 years.

But these idiot treehuggers believe that we can use geothermal to power our way out on AGW.

I live about 25 miles from one of those geothermal projects and worked as a construction electrician building it. (Coso geothermal)
This is what you have to put up with for GREEN ENERGY.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.nytimes.com...

The geothermal fields at Coso geothermal field is also a area of man caused earthquakes.

The Coso Volcanic/geothermal Field is one of the most seismically active regions in the United States, producing dozens of tremors in the M1 and M2 range each week. Tremors in the M3 range occur at a rate of 2-6 per month and M4 quakes occur two-three times each year. Recent activity in the M5 range happened in 1996 and 1998 when tremors of M5.3, M5.1, M5.2, and M5.0 occurred with a day of each other. These tremors were actually recorded along the eastern side of the Coso Volcanic/geothermal Field, 15 miles (24 km). September 30, 2009 to October 6, 2009 there have been 429 earthquakes ranging from 0.1 up to a 5.2. Some days have activity just about one every minute. On October 2, 2009 there were three earthquakes (5.2, 4.7, and a 4.9) all with in one hour of each other.
en.wikipedia.org...

You can see the quakes for the coso geothermal field between China Lake
and Lone Pine calif.
quake.wr.usgs.gov...

They also have earthquakes at the Salton Sea Geothermal plants.
On this map the Geothermal plants are at the south east end of the Salton Sea and northwest of Brawley calif
quake.wr.usgs.gov...
ludb.clui.org...
www.calenergy.com...

Geysers Geothermal Field earthquakes
seismo.berkeley.edu...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 19-12-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thank you for your post and information plus the links, very interesting stuff.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Hi ANNED,

Your post is very impressive and tells the unsuspecting people out there that destructive earthquakes are caused by man.

Man can create very destructive earthquakes using this technology and other similar technology where fluids are injected into the ground. At least one, if not two magnitude 6.8 earthquake(s) is/are the largest man-made or man-activated earthquake(s) that I've ever recorded with my seismic units near a high pressure injection site.

Man can create even greater earthquakes using other knowledge of earthquakes. The geologist in the court case will probably go to jail. His work caused damage to other peoples property and he had to know it was happening from the work they had preformed (fluid injection); which would make him guilty.

My seismic equipment shows the build up of pressure from natural forces or man made forces well in advance of earthquakes striking. I have 22 videos on YouTube showing how to detect Natural and Man-made earthquakes before they strike; they run 1-22. If anyone wishes to see them, they are at:

www.youtube.com...

The videos detail many things about earthquakes that none of you know about. In the earthquake videos I detail how to create man-made earthquakes large enought to destroy cities and other countries economies from hundreds to thousands of miles away without them knowing that it was done on purpose or where it was done. All of the knowledge in the videos is my own knowledge gathered over 3 decades.

If anybody thinks that earthquakes aren't easily detectable well in advance, then they had better think again, because all magnitudes of earthquakes are easily detectable before they strike; with all of the information available as to how deep, epicenter, lay of fault, magnitude and for larger earthquakes "when" is easy to compute.

Soon, even the smaller earthquakes will be known as to how soon they will strike. Right now the larger earthquakes have 1 to 8 days advance warning as to "when" they will strike; even though the pressure of the larger earthquakes can be detected building up for over two months in advance before they strike. I have a very beautiful chart of a magnitude 6.8 man made earthquake build-up before it quaked, and that chart covers over 2 months of building up pressure until the resulting earthquake occured.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Thanks RussianScientists, what do you think of Jim Berklands work and his predictions, what I remember about him is telling us to watch the local papers for more than usual lost pets as they can detect quakes well in advance and tend to run away.

www.syzygyjob.com...

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Jim Berkland isn't using science to determine earthquakes, his method is rubbish.

I use a piezoseismic system that responds to abnormal pressure being exerted on something, in most cases it is rock deep in the earth, but if you jump up and down on granite a positive signal is recorded as you jump up and down on granite. On the other hand if you would jump up and down on limestone it would record the negative signal.

No matter where you live, this equipment detects what is bending the substrata below the equipment. The detectable bending takes place for days and weeks before an earthquake strikes because the bending or stretching has gone past the limits of the rock below and thereby a quake occurs.

Other seismic systems that governments and businesses currently use cannot detect the bending of the rock. Once the rock comes under abnormal pressure it sends out a signal and in the case of earthquakes there is a visual representation of the actual fault in the sky that can be seen using this type of equipment.

The visual representation of any sized earthquake from 1.0 in magnitude to 9.0+ can be seen in the sky directly above the area that will quake. It is refracted radiation, and you can see it from inside of your house if you look at your walls with this equipment.

Example: Lets say you live in a mountainous area of California and a 5.0+ magnitude earthquake is getting ready to strike within a week or two within 200 miles of you. If you are at a 90 degree angle from the fault line you could see the refracted radiation coming through a mountainside and through the side of your house or building if your were standing inside and looking in the direction of the fault.

The equipment lets a person see the radiation coming through the walls and the mountainside because it is radiation and nothing can stop the radiation coming from a fault under pressure. Since it is a M5.0 magnitude earthquake getting ready to strike you could see it up to a maximum distance of 400 miles away.

You could watch it 24 hours a day for days and weeks before it strikes. You can also see how jagged the fault is or how smooth it is because of a barrier above it. You can go right out and mark the fault on top of the ground because once you get to the epicenter you can mark it and follow it out one direction and come back and go down the other direction as the radiation is seen coming out of the ground from deep down below.

During all of this time you can watch the fault pulse with more pressure and then less pressure; more pressure and less pressure. There will be times when the pulse of pressure increased the amount of detected pressure, that is how larger earthquakes become larger earthquakes, because their pressure increases every now and then during the detected pressure cycles that are very rythmic and very predictable because they are so rythmic.

Its all in my videos. Later I will go into more detail in future videos so that people all over the world will be able to use these seismic units to go out and map faults all over the world before they quake.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I agree that what Berkland does is rubbish, I will watch your videos tomorrow or the next day, it is 1:30 AM right now and my eyes are starting to close, actually listening to Coast, Ian Punnett is going to interview Jim Marrs shortly who I like listening to, interesting guy.
Thanks for your reply.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

You have some good threads Aquarius1, keep up the good work. Stars and flag for you. I see that your threads let people understand more than what they did before they read your threads, and that is very good.

Oh by the way, my earthquake videos under my name of NewMexicoGeologist on youtube are quite boring unless you are into earthquakes.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Thank you so much Russian Scientists, nice to know there are those who appreciate my threads, I tend to be too serious, but on the other hand the topics that interest me are serious.

I do have an interest in earthquakes to a point having been through three, the first two very minor, one in 1972 in the thumb area of Michigan, the second in Lake Michigan which I believe was in 1987 and felt in the Detroit area but the epicenter was close to Chicago, last but not least the 89 San Francisco Quake, I lived in Berkeley at the time, luckily no damage but that one woke me up and I do follow quake activity. The peroid of time I lived there (88-2000) there were numerous aftershocks from the 89 quake and minor quakes over the years.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Could New Clean Energy Source Trigger Quakes?

LONDON (Dec. 18) -- The Obama administration has a lot riding on geothermal energy, which it sees as a future source of clean, green and virtually unlimited electricity. Over the past year alone, the U.S. Department of Energy has invested some $440 million in projects trying to turn heat trapped in bedrock deep underground into electricity. But the trial this week of a Swiss geologist – accused of causing earthquakes during the construction of a geothermal power plant – has raised doubts about the safety of some geothermal schemes, and may have contributed to the collapse of one government-backed project in California earlier this month.

Worries about the link between this new power source and earthquakes came to the fore in 2006, when the building of a geothermal plant in the Swiss city of Basel triggered a series of tremors. Although no one was injured, the quakes caused $9 million in damage and seriously shook the locals. On Tuesday, Swiss prosecutors opened their case against Markus Haering – head of Geothermal Explorers, the firm behind the project – who they accuse of deliberately causing landslides and damage to property. He denies all charges and could face up to five years in prison if found guilty.

When construction of the geothermal plant began in 2006, few residents of Basel, a prosperous city on the border with France and Germany, would have believed it would end in earthquakes and court cases. Residents were told that a new, cutting-edge technology known as an enhanced geothermal system would be used to create enough power for 10,000 homes.

www.sphere.com...

Hope that man isn't causing quakes, have the feeling that they are..

top topics

join