It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's something wrong with redheads?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Creepy but adorable!

I just liked that

:-)

I've been reading through this thread - and I have a question - if I missed the explanation somehow I apologize

but - why do the redheads get this reaction? I grew up here in the U.S. and don't remember the redheaded kids being singled out - ever

I knew several

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

This has to be the best post without words I have ever seen. Literally spit juice unto my laptop.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Mannnn.... I wish i went to YOUR school......

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

I STILL dont get it it??? PLease enlighten me before i blow up ....

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

well - maybe not

:-)

all kids have their issues - maybe it wasn't the redheads at my school...

but - I'm getting that this is maybe just a UK thing? still - where did it start?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
reply to post by tribewilder

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed

All the lovin that is going on in this thread, and SD is just sitting back, enjoying the show, eating popcorn, waiting to see what will happen next..

Maybe you just have to get to know SD a little better..

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

when I was a kid - Pippi was my hero - which might explain some things

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

Maybe you just have to get to know SD a little better..

I'm balding (ok bald) so I hate everyone!

There, I said it!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

It's a weird thing to get your head round, considering Scotland had the highest percentage of redheads anywhere in the world, but many people here blatantly dislike redheads, and even go so far as to say that they hope they never have a red haired child....like they couldn't love it or some crazy thing.......

I think it's rooted in the ancient belief that redhaired people, especially women, were witches. It's almost as if we are an embarrassment if you have to be related to one of us. I know that Selahobed was trying to convince me otherwise, but my instincts tell me that this attitude was at least in part responsible for some of my ex's wanting to keep me almost out of sight. I know they were not keen to be seen with a red haired woman...and it happened more than once. I still catch people looking at me sideways sometimes, in a not very nice way. I don't give a stuff.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae

I still catch people looking at me sideways sometimes, in a not very nice way. I don't give a stuff.

They are just jealous caitlinfae, that's all it is, nothing more.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Those pics are both me..

We Suck huh???

[edit on 023131p://f12Wednesday by Selahobed]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I don't know for sure but maybe the problem many Brits have with redheads are cultural, not actual dislike of their looks.

I actually have always been attracted to redheads.

There is just ....something...about.....them.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

It's a weird thing to get your head round, considering Scotland had the highest percentage of redheads anywhere in the world, but many people here blatantly dislike redheads, and even go so far as to say that they hope they never have a red haired child....like they couldn't love it or some crazy thing.......

it is hard to understand - when I saw the thread title - I thought it would be some sort of health related issue - a genetic connection or something

I had no idea

I think it's rooted in the ancient belief that redhaired people, especially women, were witches. It's almost as if we are an embarrassment if you have to be related to one of us.

well - people are stupid - that's about the deepest explanation I can conjure up right now

I've heard that it's considered to be unlucky in Russia - but for the longest time people also considered being left-handed to be a bad omen - and not all that long ago either. What's rare is regarded with suspicion I suppose

so, yes - I'm just going to go with - people are stupid :-)

I still catch people looking at me sideways sometimes, in a not very nice way. I don't give a stuff.

well - here's something I once told a friend of mine that said something like this - maybe they're looking at you sideways for another reason entirely :-)

you think it's because they consider it unattractive - when it's really just the opposite

redheads do stand out - no getting around it - but I think most people think it's beautiful

[edit on 12/30/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Redheads may be Aliens

There’s a conspiracy theory that redheads are alien-human hybrids. Think about it: Why did several kings and queens of Europe have red hair even though, percentage-wise, redheads are fairly rare? Why do so many Southies have red hair and speak a different language than other Boston locals?

It sounds crazy, but carrottops do have biological differences other than appearance. Redheaded women bleed longer, which is why doctors make special preparations for them in childbirth. They also have the smallest hair count on their heads, about 90,000 as opposed to 140,000 on people with blond and brown hair. That’s why Kick a Ginger Day began, just to keep these possible aliens on their toes.

Also: Redheads cope better with pain

Edit for the record: I think redheaded ladies are very secsie!

[edit on 30 Dec 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Pretty interesting article here.

moderntribalist.blogspot.com...

It mentions the people who were against the Irish settlers as one cause of the anti-ginger mentality and also mentions Shakespeare making his most menacing characters wear red wigs... and how this "seeps into culture"

[edit on 30/12/09 by blupblup]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

As far as I know, there are no health related issues associated with red hair, although I have read that there can be issues with anaesthetic resistance. I'm not sure how well documented that is though. We apparently have a higher pain threshold than average or something like that.

There is also the archetype, if you want to call it that, of a red haired woman as a Jezebel....a seductress who will steal your husband or worse.

en.wikipedia.org...

img2.allposters.com...

My Mum used to tease me as a child by calling me Jezebel....I didn't understand the connotations then....

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
reply to post by blupblup

And you swoon and gush so beautifully Blup.....

And I can't say I blame you, or anyone else, for swooning over the gorgeous Selahobed....guilty of it myself actually...*blush...

Ooooohhhhh god.... Swooning again.... the lovely Caitlin's fault

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Hi gourgeouspants ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join